• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Silly question, since he has been in Aus from 2016 onwards, does that make him eligible to represent the Wallabies? Or do those years not count as he was playing the wrong code. He would be pretty handy for the Wallabies....
I think he is eligible. But has stated that he would play for ABs.

Hopefully he gets bored and with NZ's selection policy he comes to play for us. I wouldn't say no. He represented Australia at junior league 9s at the Commonwealth games (lol). He's spent over a third of his life in Aus, that's more Australian than a lot.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Apparently Manu was offered $800k by the Roosters, and Verblitz deal is $1m+ a year. It also leaves the door open to return to the Roosters half way through 2025 when they have salary cap space.

That explains why it's only a one-season contract. More a gap year than a code switch.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NRL haven’t supported such deals in the past, if he really-joins the Roosters in 2025 mid-season they won’t be allowed a salary cap discount

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
That explains why it's only a one-season contract. More a gap year than a code switch.

I see it more as a try-out year for a future All Black gig. Might want to play in the 2027 RWC but NZRU hesitant to offer big cash for a league convert after RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) didn't exactly work out.

So he's getting paid big money to dip his toe in the water and if he carves up, NZRU might jump into the picture.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

He represented Australia at junior league 9s at the Commonwealth games (lol).
I’m sure he’s a great bloke yadda yadda but I just can’t take this dude seriously. He represented us at the Comm Games ffs. Ponga said the same thing and it seems so dumb to me.

Thorn a little different given he never stated he couldn’t imagine playing for the Wallabies like he’s allergic to it or something. He also worked his way into the ABs from NZ super squads as opposed to anointing himself in contract negotiations.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He's more Australian than Tawera Kerr Barlow and a few Wallabies over the years. Not saying he wants to but I have no problem whatsoever picking him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's more Australian than Tawera Kerr Barlow and a few Wallabies over the years. Not saying he wants to but I have no problem whatsoever picking him.
Yeah in the current international environment if you can find an eligibility pathway and the player is better than what you have available there is no reason not to pick that player.

So many countries/players shop around you are just limiting yourself if you don't also.

It certainly diminishes the value of int. rugby for me though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Roosters contract runs out at the end of 2024 though. Wouldn't they just have to pay a pro rata which has been done before?
NRL have rejected those kinds of contracts in the past because they dont want players taking an offseason to japan, and it’s argued by some that it’s a form of salary cap manipulation.

If he returns to the Rooster there’s a good chance the NRL will make the Roosters pay more than just a pro-rata amount, NRL has in the past valued players under the salary cap more then what the clubs are paying them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
NRL have rejected those kinds of contracts in the past because they dont want players taking an offseason to japan, and it’s argued by some that it’s a form of salary cap manipulation.

If he returns to the Rooster there’s a good chance the NRL will make the Roosters pay more than just a pro-rata amount, NRL has in the past valued players under the salary cap more then what the clubs are paying them.
This is the Roosters. The rules don’t apply.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
If the NRL bought RA … they could lease there talent to RU for World Cup years without losing them all together.. could be on the cards.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Hopefully he gets bored and with NZ's selection policy he comes to play for us. I wouldn't say no. He represented Australia at junior league 9s at the Commonwealth games (lol). He's spent over a third of his life in Aus, that's more Australian than a lot.

He will be coached by Ian Foster in Japan

Former All Blacks coach Ian Foster says there were talks with NRL star Joseph Manu “two or three years” ago about him returning to New Zealand via the Chiefs in Super Rugby to have a crack at the All Blacks.

Manu, now 27, subsequently re-signed with the Roosters, but his All Blacks bid is far from over after it was announced on Tuesday that both he and Foster will join Toyota Verblitz in the Japan Rugby League One competition.

Manu will use his time in Japan under Foster - and alongside former All Black Aaron Smith - to learn the nuances of rugby, and Foster told The Post on Wednesday that the All Blacks’ interest in him was genuine, and mutual.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
If the NRL bought RA … they could lease there talent to RU for World Cup years without losing them all together.. could be on the cards.
And who say they are gonna buy RA? At least they have money and know how to run a profitable competition...

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The leaguie id really be intrigued at having a crack in union is Joe tapine of raiders… I reckon his tall enough to play second rower - if not he’d be a great backrower prospect who also tall enough and nimble for the lineout