• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
To get the Super Rugby Pacific deal done more favourably...
Um seems like it an Aussie idea fellas if this is true,

“We've talked to the Kiwis about hosting an Anzac team against the Lions in 2025 and they're considering the idea,” Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan told the Daily Mail.

Have to say it first I heard of it, but don't know where the pandering to kiwi ideas are coming from. more the opposite if the write up is correct?
I will ad I a bit meh on idea, but can see it being a boon for tv rights, though it should be played early in series if at all, and don't see how Wallabies coach would be happy with that idea.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What about 4 Lions tests? The 3 test series concept only really emerged in 1989.
True torp, I think the 3 test series bacame a thing when rugby went pro and club players up north had so much rugby, 4 tests was thought to be too hard?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
True torp, I think the 3 test series bacame a thing when rugby went pro and club players up north had so much rugby, 4 tests was thought to be too hard?
Also became a thing when NH teams did not want to travel so much in June/July window. Some teams were playing in Aus/NZ then SA in three weeks which was a bit much.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fuck ‘em

Rugby Australia should sell the B&I Lions Broadcast rights in NZ themselves
Um Adam it's an Aussie idea , NZR hasn't agreed to it have they? But I reckon they would/should sell the broadcast rights to NZ (if they could), but don't think they can. But would be good idea like you say if they could , I would imagine there is all kind of deals with Lions over how broadcast fees are sold, as they are the drawcard not actually the Wallabies (same as when BBI are in NZ)
The more I think of idea, I actually would prefer that NZR said no thanks anyway, not sure if anyone remembers last time it was tried, very little interest from players etc, think only a few top Wallaby and ABs were really involved. If it held at end of tour it will be just a Baabaas type game as team will only have a few days togther, and if it at start, I don't think Wallaby coach going to want his players getting knocked around before series? I hope it gets shelved as just a fantasy and maybe it's just something to keep rugby on front pages at this time of year?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I remember the last time we had an ANZAC XV, back in '89. I even had a replica jersey! I don't mind it to be honest.
Yep that was hardly a raving success, as I recall only about 3-4 test players from each team played, certainly remember most ABs said thanks but no thanks we will leave it for proper games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This is the opposite of a bad thing
Yep I would enjoy that, but call it what it is, an invitation team that means little! Not against them having an Aus/NZ Baabaas team, but let everyone know that's what it is. So everyone knows not to expect a test strength team etc.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep I would enjoy that, but call it what it is, an invitation team that means little! Not against them having an Aus/NZ Baabaas team, but let everyone know that's what it is. So everyone knows not to expect a test strength team etc.
I’m not sure why you think many will opt-out though, particularly if they can get the timing right.

We routinely see players talk about what an experience and honour it is to be approached for the BaaBaas - it would genuinely surprise me if players weren’t jumping at the chance to be a part of it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Be fun to watch a bunch of Super Rugby Pacific players beat the Lions. Still be great fun even if it doesn't include too many test players.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I have always thought Sydney and Brisbane should get the major tests as they are the major rugby states, that being said, I wonder if Brisbane misses out whether a deal can be struck to have a couple of other games, maybe Reds v Lions and Baa Baas v Lions to make up for the loss of a Test, keep the tourists in town for an entire week and get two big crowds over two weekends would not be the worst option available.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not sure why you think many will opt-out though, particularly if they can get the timing right.

We routinely see players talk about what an experience and honour it is to be approached for the BaaBaas - it would genuinely surprise me if players weren’t jumping at the chance to be a part of it.
Oh yeah mate, as I said a Baabaas thing is completely different to what paper report says that Hamish is talking about best players from ABs and Wallabies. Baabaas is basically just an invitation team that gets together has a couple of training runs ,(and almost never test players that are in any series) has a few beers together and then have a run. And not run under any rugby board, think most of money goes into players etc? I thinking one of problems is getting players released from test squad even if they wanted to, I kind of like Drepus's idea of a bunch of Super players having the game.
When the players had a chance to choose in 89, most Wallaby and ABs said no thanks no point.

To be honest, I don't even recall too many Baabaa teams, apart from the one in early 70s that beat the ABs, made up of the Lions from the 71 tour.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The ARU can get fucked if Melbourne doesn’t get a test. Not paying over the odds to go see essentially the All Blacks v the Lions in Melbourne. Any time we have a marquee game down here we get a good crowd.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The ARU can get fucked if Melbourne doesn’t get a test. Not paying over the odds to go see essentially the All Blacks v the Lions in Melbourne. Any time we have a marquee game down here we get a good crowd.
The fight for the third test should be between Melbourne and Perth, both have grounds for getting it

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Melbourne already have a contract in place, they are not fighting anyone the lions will be either playing a test or this Anzac concept at the mcg. RA are just trying to ensure they can sell out all 4 stadiums rather than a semi full suncorp or a full hbf park.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Melbourne already have a contract in place, they are not fighting anyone the lions will be either playing a test or this Anzac concept at the mcg. Rugby Australia are just trying to ensure they can sell out all 4 stadiums rather than a semi full suncorp or a full hbf park.
100% Melbourne are getting a test. Remember reading a deal struck pre-Covid with the Vic government for some Bledisloe and Lions test. It’d be great if a 4th can come to fruition so Perth can get a test.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thinking one of problems is getting players released from test squad even if they wanted to, I kind of like Drepus's idea of a bunch of Super players having the game.
When the players had a chance to choose in 89, most Wallaby and ABs said no thanks no point.
There definitely wouldn't have been the same financial incentives for players to participate in the '89 game as there would be today. I don't think they'd have trouble fielding a strong team.

I imagine any games against the Lions whether it be another Wallabies test or an ANZAC game will be lucrative for RA. So the players would want to be rewarded for that.