• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions V Rebels, 5 July @ Ellis Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Right, so here we are. The start of the SA road trip, looking for our first win in Johannesburg, down on our luck after recent matches and looking to finish the season on a high. I would love nothing more than to taste victory over these guys and if there is ANY match on this tour we could win...it's this one. The Lions are coming off the bye and a recent win against next weeks opponents (Bulls), so that ask has got even harder. We will be without Sean McMahon who is off to win gold in that chilly little town called Glasgow.

for local Mexican viewing the match is on at the very sociable hour of 3:10am. Right in time to chip the ice off the car windows and help the brass monkey find his balls.

I'm going on one-eyed faith in my Rebels here, logic went out the doors years ago. Rebels by 10.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scrums should be good value at least. Lions technically very good.

Hopefully both teams throw caution to the wind, but the Lions are keen not to drop into relegation and will kick it whenever the opportunity presents.

Rebels will need FAR better discipline - especially their captain - if they want to win this week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jonker is one of the best going IMHO. Berry is a fucking numpty - did his Dad know someone?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Arse. Meehan is going. Hoped they would've just taken the pair over so Box Hill would have him for the Moorabbin game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just think its slightly odd that they've taken all 3 halfbacks, but only the 6 front rowers. I mean surely the likelihood of a front rower having injury troubles is bigger than a halfback, simply because there's more of them!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder what happens if they lose a front rower in the warm up (or in the captain's run). Presumably the player stays on the bench but doesn't get used.

Maybe there is an injury cloud over Burgess or Stirzacker?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
just more innovative TT thinking 13 forwards and 12 backs.

a spare half but no cover for a forward injury in training or warm up.

only the two remaining props are available anyway, all the other forwards are injured or in mcmahons case "on loan"

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Lions side:

15. Coenie van Wyk
14. Deon van Rensburg
13. Stokkies Hanekom
12. Alwyn Hollenbach
11. Anthony Volmink
10. Marnitz Boshoff
9. Ross Cronje
8. Warren Whiteley
7. Warwick Tecklenburg
6. Jaco Kriel
5. Franco van der Merwe
4. Franco Mostert
3. Julian Redelinghuys
2. Robbie Coetzee
1. Schalk van der Merwe

16. Armand van der Merwe
17. Jacques van Rooyen/Corne Fourie
18. Ruan Dreyer
19. Willie Britz
20. Derick Minnie
21. Faf de Klerk
22. Elton Jantjies
23. Lionel Mapoe

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions side:

15. Coenie van Wyk
14. Deon van Rensburg
13. Stokkies Hanekom
12. Alwyn Hollenbach
11. Anthony Volmink
10. Marnitz Boshoff
9. Ross Cronje
8. Warren Whiteley
7. Warwick Tecklenburg
6. Jaco Kriel
5. Franco van der Merwe
4. Franco Mostert
3. Julian Redelinghuys
2. Robbie Coetzee
1. Schalk van der Merwe

16. Armand van der Merwe
17. Jacques van Rooyen/Corne Fourie
18. Ruan Dreyer
19. Willie Britz
20. Derick Minnie
21. Faf de Klerk
22. Elton Jantjies
23. Lionel Mapoe
Good Lions team, Lions by 50.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
1. Toby Smith
2. Shota Horie
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Colby Fainga'a
7. Scott Fuglistaller
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Luke Burgess
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Tom Kingston
15. Jack Debreczeni
16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah-Nau
18. Paul Alo-Emile
19. Cadeyrn Neville
20. Jordy Reid
21. Nic Stirzaker
22. Jason Woodward
23. Telusa Veainu

Debreczeni over Woody?....I am speechless!!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well what ever else can be said about TT, he is certainly his own man and now must take all the responsibilty for the team performances

woody on the bench in hindsight was predictable. on this basis and taken together with pyle's benching earlier, this year has been written off, despite the rhetoric. sau's absence would imply he is going too.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Surprised Neville is on the bench - I thought he was better than most last week. Sau left out of the squad would make me think he is going although strange that the Rebels FB page wants the fans to nominate him as "Sports dad of the year" - WTF?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Debreczeni over Woody?..I am speechless!!

Why? He put Woody at wing instead of FB last week FFS, where he looked pretty disinterested.

TT should have ceased to give Rebels fans any head-scratching moments in about the second game, as far as team selection goes.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sau left out of the squad would make me think he is going although strange that the Rebels FB page wants the fans to nominate him as "Sports dad of the year" - WTF?

I hope Sau goes, that 36th Japanese spot is a handy one when injuries emerge late in the preseason and there's better Japanese outside backs than Sau anyway.

Since we don't clash seasonwise with Japan it's best we move him on and sign a player at the 11th hour in Feb, I doubt we'd have trouble getting whoever we want since it's about the biggest opportunity they can get.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Alternatively, Shota is moved back to the Japanese player slot, and we get another free hit at an International player, regardless of where they come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.