• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions v Waratahs - Round 16, 30 May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harro

Stan Wickham (3)
Actually that loss could be an issue for the tahs, since the Stormers have a big chance of winning their last 2 games with bonus points, giving them 2nd place
Judging by that performance from the Lions a bonus point win for the Stormers is not a lock. Actually, the Stormers have only 3 BP, the least number of any team in the comp

Harro

Stan Wickham (3)
What did people think about the blow up a couple of minutes before Phipps was penalised? It appeared that Dreyer head butted Phipps after the whistle. Can't be sure but, given the use of the TMO throughout the match, I'm surprised they didn't have a look. Or maybe I'm not given the post above about the touchie who got a head butt red card call wrong

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Bit of a horror show.

I don't know if it was the high altitude or the two yellows but the Tahs were out of gas. They had no pace onto the ball and their realignment was turgid, if it happened.

Some key players just didn't show up. Folau had his worst game I've seen. Hooper had zero impact.

Lions had a great scrum, without a decent weight hooker and Skelton the Tahs were on roller skates.

The Lions also had the best contestable kick chase I've seen. It was a masterclass.

Add a shaky at best lineout and we had few ways of controlling territory and ball.

Piper and his assistants showed that good old Saffa home team refs aren't a thing of the past. This TMO joke is a great way to try and dredge any penalty, or even yellow you can find when only watching for one team. Three cynical penalties in the red zone by the Lions in the first quarter or so - not even a warning. The lions lived offside.

Having said that, Horne - what on earth were you (not) thinking with that tackle? High stupidity. I'm guessing he'll see weeks on top as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One point for the Tahs enough to stay in front of the Brumbies. Starting to look like a Tahs/Brumbies semi at one of the Sydney venues.

By and large, the Lions outplayed their Tahs' opposites with It Is I (de Klerk) finishing well in front of Phipps. No 6, Kriel, I thought was best on ground. Cliff Palu had a very strong start but didn't see much of him after 20 mins. Apart from his incomprehensible tackle, Rob Horne was best for the Tahs and I'd have him starting on the wing with Henry Speight for the Wallabies. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was pretty good and is in the race with Kuridrani for the 13 spot.

Despite one or two posts here about the officiating, I think Peyper was mostly good. ATM he is second to van der Westhuizen as far as Super refs go. I think his use of the TMO was correct but the SA TV producers really need to get their acts together. How long were the delays in getting the right replays up on the screen.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Without Skelton and Latu the Tahs had limited impact and struggled to get the forward momentum their fast passing game requires. Any go forward they got from their forward runners was soon lost as there wasn't anybody to follow-up and often Naiyaravoro was brought in often to try and get over the gain line.

Add to that the loss of aggression in the tackle after Horne was carded which I think was beyond a harsh call, and I am surprised the Tahs stayed within 7.

With the losses by the Hurricanes and Chiefs I think the Tahs are going to struggle to make the semis.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Hot off the press

ROB HORNE CITED FOR ALLEGED FOUL PLAY

Player: Rob Horne
Team: Waratahs
Position: Winger
Date of Incident: 30 May 2015
Nature of Offence: Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 27th minute

Rob Horne of the Waratahs has been cited for alleged foul play during a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

Horne is alleged to have contravened 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle, in an incident which occurred in the 27th minute of the Super Rugby match between the Lions and Waratahs at Emirates Airlines Park in Johannesburg on 30 May 2015.

The referee for the match, Jaco Peyper, issued a Yellow Card for the incident. Upon further review of the match footage, the Citing Commissioner deemed in his opinion the incident had met the red card threshold for foul play.

#Justice4Horne

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Am I missing something? Horne tackle resulting in the player landing on his back. barely above the horizontal is now being described as incomprehensible and stupid. fuck me thats just a good shot

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
they'd need to lose to both the Cheetahs and the Reds to not make the semis, but depending on how other results go they could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th..

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
given their stance on this and wanting to 'stamp it out of the game' he could get 4 weeks, which would be an absolute joke..soon the rules will only allow a 2 handed grab..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs got closer than they should have. Lions pushed a lot of silly passes going uptempo but when they should of kept it up, they took those few shots that Janties missed. Tahs were sucking in the big ones and that is when the Lions should have put it towards the corner and backed their maul. They gave the Tahs their second wind in this period of play.

I also think it has been a while since a Tahs pack has been bashed like that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I haven't seen whole game, but was surprised that Horne got a YC, didn't see jaques one so wouldn't comment.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
they'd need to lose to both the Cheetahs and the Reds to not make the semis, but depending on how other results go they could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th..
They need five points from the last two games to be guaranteed a finals berth.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having said that, Horne - what on earth were you (not) thinking with that tackle? High stupidity. I'm guessing he'll see weeks on top as well.

Certainly does not look good

HorneYC.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Neither does Fruean's on Nehe Milner-Skudder, but hey he's a Crusaders player so a yellow card is punishment enough.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

image.jpg

Mate you're starting to sound like one've those something-Bok/ bok-something's on the PlanetRugby forums bleating about the IRB-led, SANZAR-complicit conspiracy against Sethfricken rugby if not Sethficka itself............

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Based on the cases for Latu and Skelton, and the citing of Horne, as well as the Lions hooker who got done for three weeks, its a simple question:

Should Fruean be cited?

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Piper and his assistants showed that good old Saffa home team refs aren't a thing of the past. This TMO joke is a great way to try and dredge any penalty, or even yellow you can find when only watching for one team. Three cynical penalties in the red zone by the Lions in the first quarter or so - not even a warning. The lions lived offside.
Nick Mallet har this to say:

South Africa can be very proud of our referees over this weekend. Jaco van Heerden had a very good game, he was very calm and made some excellent decisions. Marius van der Westhuizen reffed the Brumbies and Bulls game very well. Jaco Peyper and Craig Joubert are top referees and they showed that again today.

'Unlike what happened when our teams went overseas, their players cannot complain about the way they were refereed. Our refs were very fair and the South African rugby referees' association must be congratulated on the performance of our referees.'

Status
Not open for further replies.