• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Good game. Tinged with the constant feeling that we could have been playing like this all year and wouldn't have to depend on other results to make the final.

Can the Tah's team doctor please cut back Tom Carter's angry pills??

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Think the for and against is going to come back and ite them in the arse. Whilst it was conceivable the Saders would not get the 4 try bonus point against the Blues, it is totally irrelevant now as all they have to do is win. If the Tahs could have kept the foot on the pedal and put 20 on the Lions it would have at least made it interesting.

Thought Tuqiri played very well tonight, had a really classy game (unlike Jonker). Tahs proably lucky to get away with it though, their tries were opportunistic and the Lions had the bulk of possession and territory.

On the bright side, a clean sweep on an SA tour is a big first so they can come home with heads held high regardless of other results tonight.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tahs very good. Come on out, all you Tahu and Beale critics.

I think that, when the dust settles (takes a while in RSA :), we will find that the Tahs were undone by points difference, rather than bonus points. There is a slight difference.

It is disgraceful that the Tahs, while winning 9 games of 13, managed such a low points difference. One outcome of that which noone seems to have mentioned is that it conceded a lot of bonus points to the others.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
barbarian said:
Think the for and against is going to come back and ite them in the arse. Whilst it was conceivable the Saders would not get the 4 try bonus point against the Blues, it is totally irrelevant now as all they have to do is win.

I was thinking this myself at half time. There was a chance that their for and against differential could be superior to the Crusaders by the end of the match so long as the Saders beat the Blues by too many nor get a BP win.

As soon as the Lions scrummie went over after half time all that thought went out of the window. Then things went from bad to worse and at the end I yelled 3 "faaaarrrrques" as the Lions went over, but to his credit Jonkers saw the forward pass. I didn't see it live but on the replay I could. Good old Jonkers - a pity he wasn't so alert last week on behalf of the Force.

13 points in the RSA is a great effort but if they don't make the finals, which is likely the way the Blues are playing, it is their own fault for not being adventurous enough before they got on the plane to the RSA.

The Lions' no. 8 Alberts, who was the MOTM, had a top 2nd half and as usual scrummie Vermaak was dynamite. As far as Bok honours are concerned: I wonder how much he is disadvantaged in playing for a lowly team. I also thought Petoors had his best game of the season.

For the Tahs I thought that Mumm was our best, but that Burgess and Palu were terrific and that Waugh and Beale were also top notch. Beale missed one tackle on la Grange but otherwise continued his better defensive form.

Halangahu also had his best game of the year. He is no Jonny Wilkinson but plays in the same calm style. He turned down an offer from Ulster, and I am glad he did.

Carn the Blues, carn the Reds.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lee Grant said:
barbarian said:
Think the for and against is going to come back and ite them in the arse. Whilst it was conceivable the Saders would not get the 4 try bonus point against the Blues, it is totally irrelevant now as all they have to do is win.

I was thinking this myself at half time. There was a chance that their for and against differential could be superior to the Crusaders by the end of the match so long as the Saders beat the Blues by too many nor get a BP win.

As soon as the Lions scrummie went over after half time all that thought went out of the window. Then things went from bad to worse and at the end I yelled 3 "faaaarrrrques" as the Lions went over, but to his credit Jonkers saw the forward pass. I didn't see it live but on the replay I could. Good old Jonkers - a pity he wasn't so alert last week on behalf of the Force.

13 points in the RSA is a great effort but if they don't make the finals, which is likely the way the Blues are playing, it is their own fault for not being adventurous enough before they got on the plane to the RSA.

The Lions' no. 8 Alberts, who was the MOTM, had a top 2nd half and as usual scrummie Vermaak was dynamite. As far as Bok honours are concerned: I wonder how much he is disadvantaged in playing for a lowly team. I also thought Petoors had his best game of the season.

For the Tahs I thought that Mumm was our best, but that Burgess and Palu were terrific and that Waugh and Beale were also top notch. Beale missed one tackle on la Grange but otherwise continued his better defensive form.

Halangahu also had his best game of the year. He is no Jonny Wilkinson but plays in the same calm style. He turned down an offer from Ulster, and I am glad he did.

Carn the Blues, carn the Canes.

Just watched the game now and that pass was 50/50. Some refs would well have let it go. In truth the Lions had a chance to put the game away when the Tahs were down to 14. It was marginal so no use crying.

Lee, unfortunately Vermaak is likely to be behind Januarie in the pecking order. The reality is that a fat, lazy and out of shape Januarie will be picked based on his color and I'm not being vindictive, just realistic. Vermaak is turning into a fantastic player.

Palu has finally woken up. He was a 50/50 starter for the Wallabies in my book but shoewd again last night what he can do.

Mowen is turning into a class act.I thought he looked too skinny when I first saw him but he makes up for it with sheer grit. He can prob add 5kg of muscle with the right diet and conditioning. Juan Smith incidentally was about the same size as a youngster and bulked up through the years.

Lote made his customary knock on. :fishing

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Spook said:
fatprop said:
True, but at least we continue to be the leading Aus team. (better than nothing)

Very debatable. ;)

*Points at Waratahs name on Competition ladder*
*Points slightly lower at Brumbies name*

;)

However, I do believe that 5th place is basically nothing and don't feel any particular smarminess about finishing top of the Aussie sides. Our fucking cluelessness against the Crusaders and Brumbies and combination of mental and physical softness against the Bulls and Force bit us on the arse. Yet when it was too late we racked up three wins and one bonus point in Saffrica. If we'd held our bloody nerve midway through the season it was worth another 4 wins, and undefeated season and 15-16 points to put us on top of the table.

Fucking weak, Hickey, fucking weak. You took a team of finalists with a still very impressive forward pack and turned them into duds. Despite the great defence - only conceding 212 points (second behind the Offsaders at 198) the attack was sorely lacking, and that with forward dominance a lot of the time. If you don't think you have an attacking coach (and you don't) then fucking hire one or get out of the way so someone with balls can be head coach.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was a bit surprised that Hickey didn't see that the backline got the ball out wider earlier in the season when you could see that they were capable of it in the RSA from time to time.

But you can't blame the coach alone. The forwards showed they could play with patience and composure but the backs seemed to panic too much. There were too many inside passes close in and too much crash balling by the 12.

I liked the combination of Hangers at 10 and Beale at 12 an hope that they can continue in those spots next year.

Meantime the quest for a 75% goalkicker continues.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
I was a bit surprised that Hickey didn't see that the backline got the ball out wider earlier in the season when you could see that they were capable of it in the RSA from time to time.

But you can't blame the coach alone. The forwards showed they could play with patience and composure but the backs seemed to panic too much. There were too many inside passes close in and too much crash balling by the 12.

I liked the combination of Hangers at 10 and Beale at 12 an hope that they can continue in those spots next year.

Meantime the quest for a 75% goalkicker continues.

don't we all.

I think a guy who can't/won't pass playing 12 may have limited our ability to fling it wide.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
Spook said:
fatprop said:
NTA said:
Too little, too late.

True, but at least we continue to be the leading Aus team. (better than nothing)

Very debatable. ;)

Only if you ignore the facts; like who won the most games.

"Leading" implies many things other than winning the most games - and the Tahs were beaten by the Force and Brumbies. Furthermore, I wouldn't say the Tahs were "leading" in their tactics and perhaps didn't suffer as many injuries as other teams. But I Lee Grant..

Seriously though, the Tahs won 3 on the trot in SA. That is an outstanding achievement. Because of this they deserved to finish top of the Aussie teams. ..but only just. :thumb

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
barbarian said:

Beale missed one tackle on la Grange but otherwise continued his better defensive form.

He made one tackle against the Cheetahs at inside centre which is apalling. He made 8 against the Sharks which is an improvement but still not a lot of tackles . In those same rounds, Fairbanks made 12 against the Reds and 15 against the Blues. Quite a difference.

I hope Beale improves again in defense against the Lions. He is a class act when he has the ball.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Lee Grant said:
barbarian said:

Beale missed one tackle on la Grange but otherwise continued his better defensive form.

He made one tackle against the Cheetahs at inside centre which is apalling. He made 8 against the Sharks which is an improvement but still not a lot of tackles . In those same rounds, Fairbanks made 12 against the Reds and 15 against the Blues. Quite a difference.

I hope Beale improves again in defense against the Lions. He is a class act when he has the ball.

Stats say Beale made 4, and missed 1 this week. 80% success rate this week is a clear improvement.

It is worth remembering that Beale's tackling stats are as bad as Tyrone Smith's

S

Spook

Just watched that match, thought the Lions were robbed. Couldn't see anything wrong with the last try? Where is PB? :p

fatprop said:
Spook said:
Lee Grant said:
barbarian said:

Stats say Beale made 4, and missed 1 this week. 80% success rate this week is a clear improvement.

It is worth remembering that Beale's tackling stats are as bad as Tyrone Smith's

It is worth remembering that you are being dishonest and spreading misinformation.

T Smith has made 95 tackles and missed 22 this season for a 77% return. He made 12 tackles against the Chiefs and missed none - that's a 100% return in my book - outstanding effort. Beale made 4 against the Lions and missed 1. Overall Beale made 60 tackles this season and missed 27 so he missed 1 in every 2 tackles.Seriously, is there anyone who misses more?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
Just watched that match, thought the Lions were robbed. Couldn't see anything wrong with the last try? Where is PB? :p

PB doesn't seem to be around, but I am :)

Please do two things:

1. Check the law on the forward pass.
2. Watch the incident again, looking intently at The Boxer's hands as he directs the pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.