• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ma'a Nonu to the Sharks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Former Wellington coach John Plumtree has met with unwanted Hurricanes back Ma'a Nonu with eye to getting him to move to Durban to play for the Sharks.

Sharks coach Plumtree is in New Zealand for his team's Super Rugby Semi-final qualification match against the Crusaders.

Nonu was told he was not wanted next year by the Crusaders but he is being widely sought after by other franchises.

"Next year? Maybe not next year. But we want to hook up at some stage," Plumtree told The Dominion Post.

"He's on my wish-list and you don't get rid of that wish-list too early."

Plumtree indicated that it might not be practical to get Nonu playing for the Sharks by 2012 but remains optimistic that there will be a reunion at some stage.

"Ma'a still wants to play for the All Blacks and that's still an incentive, isn't it? "

"And he's got a young family and it's not easy to pick up a young family and take them to South Africa.

"But we'll keep talking."

Plumtree said that he had not followed the saga Nonu's exit from the Hurricanes intimately but added that he was saddened by it.

"Ma'a's a huge part of Wellington and obviously the Hurricanes and the region and a very popular member.

"They're going to miss him big time."

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=30922

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Tell you what he'd fit right into their style of play.

Sharks midfield is pretty terrible and with a world class 12 and 13 they would be a real chance to win the comp.

A

antipodean

If he leaves New Zealand, that's the end of his All Blacks career. It's a long shot at best. If he goes to the Chiefs, he'd get to play alongside Kahui, which would be the best centre pairing in Super Rugby.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
If he leaves New Zealand, that's the end of his All Blacks career. It's a long shot at best. If he goes to the Chiefs, he'd get to play alongside Kahui, which would be the best centre pairing in Super Rugby.

Surely playing for the All Blacks should be the last thing on his mind?

While no doubt it is something to consider, but making sure you actually have a team (ie a job) next year would be a greater than worrying about maybe being selected?

A

antipodean

He isn't some fringe player without options in New Zealand. He's the incumbent second five-eighth for the All Blacks.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Think they mean Hurricanes.. that said, I doubt the Crusaders would take him either - SBW and Fruean have been awesome.

I think all SupeRugby teams have got to change their mindsets on this. Yep, SBW and Fruen have been fantastic; but at some stage, one or both of them are going to be injured or need to be rested. Using the centres as the example, I think teams should be looking to recruit three top level centres. Even if they don't have injuries, the player is still there to put pressure on starting places and make some competition for spots.

Mind you, I don't know that there are too many players that would agree to possibly play second fiddle. You'd need to convince them.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If you don't want Brett, there's a certain Perth based team that needs a 10. David Smith's going, they've got a Kiwi quota to maintain! ;)

You must be desperate.....have you seen Brett tackle???

Me neither....and I've watched almost every Blues game this year!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It must bit a bit annoying in hindsight that Harris slipped through the net from your catchment. Although not at 10, he has been value for us at this level.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And watch the outcry from across the ditch when Harris plays for Oz. I imagine it will be similar to what we saw from the South Africans when they realised Pocock was born over there. Kiwi's have had enough good inside centres, about time one came our way.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It must bit a bit annoying in hindsight that Harris slipped through the net from your catchment. Although not at 10, he has been value for us at this level.

Definitely!! I'm hoping he isn't in the Wallaby frame this year, comes back and plays for Harbour in the ITM Cup and then gets picked up by Auckland for 2012. With McAllister and Payne both leaving, he'll be pretty handy to have around.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tell you what he'd fit right into their style of play.

Sharks midfield is pretty terrible and with a world class 12 and 13 they would be a real chance to win the comp.

Nunu and Marius Joubert (he start with the CC) will be a total different kettle of fish compare to Bosman and Terreblanche, add Lampie, JP and Fredie with the Sharks pack and you will have one hell of a team.

H

hurge

was surfing the web earlier today, and saw, that the Western Force were going to go for Nonu, and over in Wales, the Ospreys have had talks with Nonu.

S

Squeak

Surely if he's going to walk away from the AB 12 jersey, it will have to be for some motherhonking great paycheck in France.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
And watch the outcry from across the ditch when Harris plays for Oz. I imagine it will be similar to what we saw from the South Africans when they realised Pocock was born over there. Kiwi's have had enough good inside centres, about time one came our way.

Pocock is from Zimbabwe. You know, Mugabe, genocide. Ring a bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.