• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Maximising the opportunity of Rugby 7s in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
nonethelss, even if we are making fun of the nrl 9's and their idea of a national tournament, I think it would be important to try and get something going in australia for larger coverage of sevens before they do. This is a blatant idea of hijack marketing. Not sure how you could do it, whether it would be super rugby level, nrc level, or local club level but who knows.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
nonethelss, even if we are making fun of the nrl 9's and their idea of a national tournament, I think it would be important to try and get something going in australia for larger coverage of sevens before they do. This is a blatant idea of hijack marketing. Not sure how you could do it, whether it would be super rugby level, nrc level, or local club level but who knows.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

The Auckland Nines is a one-off exhibition event that is successful now because of its novelty value. It will not last. Why would New Zealanders continue to show up for an event that revolves around Australian sporting franchises?

It will quickly degenerate. We already see the laughable spectacle of 40 year old has beens playing. Good for a giggle, but not serious sport.

T

TOCC

9's won't have the legs In the long term, like Wamberal it's novelty value at the moment. I give It two years before teams start sending 'development squads' and interest drops right off..

A proposed 9's tournament would be nothing more then a U20's development tournament, NRL teams won't commit players to a 6 week tournament in the middle of their pre-season.

Once the 'star player' flavour is removed the completion it will die a lonely death... Any comparison to the BBL are absurd, the BBL has the best players in the country playing, as well as international players from other countries. The NRL clubs can't offer the same commitment.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
It doesn't matter whether you think its a novelty or not, they're talking about an Australian circuit and to ignore a threat in business as a novelty is sometimes the worst thing to do, has lead to disastrous outcomes for the ignorers.

T

TOCC

It doesn't matter whether you think its a novelty or not, they're talking about an Australian circuit and to ignore a threat in business as a novelty is sometimes the worst thing to do, has lead to disastrous outcomes for the ignorers.

well if you read the rest of my quote i gave some very good reasons as to why a 9's circuit won't work....I'm obviously not ignoring it as am talking about it on here, but there are several very large mitigating factors which are already present in this years series which will prevent it from becoming the circuit which they are talking about..

Player availability is the major factor, these are some of the best players in the game who won't be playing in this competition: Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Brett Stewart, Justin Hodges, Sonny Bill Williams, Josh Papali, Anthony Milford, Jonathon Thurston, Greg Inglis...

Those are the players who were withdrawn for a one-off tournament, the withdrawals from a 6 week circuit would be massive, that is a whole pre-season and no coach will risk that.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
A proposed 9's tournament would be nothing more then a U20's development tournament, NRL teams won't commit players to a 6 week tournament in the middle of their pre-season.

Once the 'star player' flavour is removed the completion it will die a lonely death. Any comparison to the BBL are absurd, the BBL has the best players in the country playing, as well as international players from other countries. The NRL clubs can't offer the same commitment.

Maybe not in the beginning. And maybe the lure will be to see the U20s and a few fading stars in action. It does not have to be BBL at the start, T20 took a very long time to develop against the inertia of the cricket traditionalists. This might be a long term strategic decision by the NRL to:
A: develop younger players
B: compete with Olympic-status of 7s before the ARU can launch a summer series with TV coverage. A preemptive strike to keep crossovers in check if 7s ever does build momentum in Oz
C: become a serious summer sport to compete with cricket and tennis on the TV and in stadium

Long term, not next year, not in 5 years. Think 10 years down the track, but lay the foundation now.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
And a pipe dream of mine (meaning it would NEVER happen, but I wish it would): ARU, NZRU and NRL partner to form a hybrid 7s game, like the NRL stated doing with NZRU. Use NRL and Super Rugby franchises and have inter-code competition over the summer!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And a pipe dream of mine (meaning it would NEVER happen, but I wish it would): ARU, NZRU and NRL partner to form a hybrid 7s game, like the NRL stated doing with NZRU. Use NRL and Super Rugby franchises and have inter-code competition over the summer!

Why wouldn't something like this happen? There's an old saying, money talks and b/s walks. I have long believed that one day the SH rugby nations - at least the Asia Pacific ones, will seek common purpose with the mungoes in our region.

We are now in a world of shorter and shorter attention spans, more and more competition for a share of that attention, an absolute splintering of media options. It might take a while, but a hybrid game is an absolute, racing certainty. The only question is whether it will start here, or in London.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Part of the success of the Auckland 9s was that in one weekend you could watch all the NRL teams and many of their stars have a run around. There were a few serious injuries but the players are keen to play it again in 2015.

The NRL beat us to the punch but I still believe a Super rugby 7s of 16 teams (including the Port Elizabeth Kings) would really work. 4 pools of 4 teams.

Come on SANZAR you know you want to.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think I saw that 9's is a demonstration sport at the next Commonwealth games and there will be a push to get it as an official sport for future Commonwealth games and possibly the olympics

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it won't be at the Gold Coast Games, I can tell you that.

And then the question becomes whether there will actually be any further Commonwealth Games.

I am bloody surprised it is at Glasgow to be honest. I'm not convinced its official as yet, although I saw the reports.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think I saw that 9's is a demonstration sport at the next Commonwealth games and there will be a push to get it as an official sport for future Commonwealth games and possibly the olympics

yeah, this from the Com Games Federation, about Beach Volleyball, but relevant to this:

“Beach Volleyball is a sport that is being considered for inclusion from the 2018 Commonwealth Games onwards, and a vote will take place in November by the Commonwealth Games Associations to see if there is interest in it becoming an optional sport for future Host Cities.
Having demonstration sports is not a concept that currently exists with the Commonwealth Games, and neither is it endorsed by the Commonwealth Games Federation.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
9s has a very long way to go before any Olympic discussion can even take place.

1. Women's needs to be developed on a global scale.
2. League needs to be developed on a global scale. Australia and Northern England is not global. Having 70% of the RLWC come from Aussie lineage/competitions is not global.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

This has to be media spin, this was the first nines tournament. Rugby 7's had a long history of running successful amateur and professional comps before it even got considered for the Commonwealth Games let alone the Olympics.

Maybe in some weird wet dream situation of the Daily Telegraph and Channel 9 but I can safely say in my lifetime there won't be any kind of Rugby League at the Olympics. I'm sure they would love it but so would the administrators of GAA, Pelota which are similar in that they have high regional exposure but zero world wide.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

I stand corrected, but there is probably a long way from an exhibition sport to being officially part of the games. As 7sPHD said there is a lot of work to be done before they should even be considered, as far as I know adding sports usually means another sport losing it status and given the political ramifications does league even have the global lobbying clout to affect a change in the Commonwealth Games let alone the Olympics?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't think it will happen either and that the 9's will become old hat very quickly as OZ sides are too NRL centric to care about fostering the game internationally.

What it does tell me is that they are concerned about having some strong international platform to counter the losses they are now suffering as players leave to play rugby so that they can compete in a real world cup or an Olympic games

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
imo hybriding if it happens , happens in some non league or union place.

In the southern hemisphere there is no gain for rugby league and in the northern hemisphere, theres probably a bit to much tension between the parties.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Hybrid talk is far too Aus centric. The IRB NZRU ETC ETC have zero reason to go along with a hybrid game. The game is strong in the six nations. Growing rapidly in the USA Canada parts of Eastern Europe and Asia. Just because the game is struggling here doesn't mean that it has global problems.
Aru needs to restructure which pulver is taking on head first and to get 7s going. Forget a super rugby wide tourney, just do nz and Aus to save on costs. Invite Samoa Fiji Tonga if you want to get extra numbers.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I haven't found the 7's much chop watching it on the box, and given it is usually a day event I'd get a fat arse if I tried sitting through it for a day and would probably be turned off even more.

But

I was up the coast on the weekend, so dropped in to watch the Lake Macquarie 7's - far better watching live than on the box. Crescent Head, Lake MacQuarie, Kiama are all good day trips - any value in promoting somthing more local.

Status
Not open for further replies.