• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

McCaw out for 2 months with a broken thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this. My first thoughts were that 2 months seems excessive just for a thumb!
This might be stupid to say but couldn't a rugby player still play quite effectively with a broken thumb?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this. My first thoughts were that 2 months seems excessive just for a thumb!
This might be stupid to say but couldn't a rugby player still play quite effectively with a broken thumb?
It depends upon where the break is, and whether it creates instability in / near a joint (such as with a ligament injury, e.g skier's thumb). Having had a broken thumb (the above plus a fracture of the "tuft" or tip of the thumb) last year, they can be pretty tricky, and mine required 6 weeks immobilisation then many more weeks to regain near normal dexterity. The tip fracture is a minor thing, the other is not. Admittedly, McCaw probably uses his differently to me, but this time frame sounds right, even with the more rigorous rehab he would get.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
If Ruchie played a year with a broken foot and called it a "niggle" then an actual broken thumb diagnosis means in reality he probably has full-blown inoperable terminal thumb cancer.
And he will get a surgeon to put some screws in it so it will last till after the next world cup.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
sorry mate had to do it:

"Local Man finds sleeping fish in long grass."

5862.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You Kiwis have way too much time on your hands.
I love it, by the way.
Anyway, I'm sure someone is growing a new McThumb in a culture of stem cells somewhere, or maybe Peter Jackson can get WETA to knock up a cyborg one for him?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You bastard! I will have you know I am quite proud of that trout. On the day I caught it that 8lb was my biggest brown on the fly I had caught.

I don't really fish, so please don't take this the wrong way, but is there a reason pants aren't worn when either fishing, or showing the results thereof?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't really fish, so please don't take this the wrong way, but is there a reason pants aren't worn when either fishing, or showing the results thereof?

its an item of clothing called shorts. specifically rugby shorts. What I wear pretty much 365 days a year, when I am not at work. Because it was a late spring trip, with snow still on the hills, I am wearing a swandri. However I am more concerned that a grown man looking at my profile focuses more on my upper thighs than the might brown trout i am clutching.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
its an item of clothing called shorts. specifically rugby shorts. What I wear pretty much 365 days a year, when I am not at work. Because it was a late spring trip, with snow still on the hills, I am wearing a swandri. However I am more concerned that a grown man looking at my profile focuses more on my upper thighs than the might brown trout i am clutching.
It looks like you're about to bust into a haka.
Carpa-o-pango?
I'll grab me coat...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hell my wife fractured thumb base almost a year ago, can still not change gears on her bike properly!!

Not even mentioning what else she reckons she can't grasp!!!!!!!;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hell my wife fractured thumb base almost a year ago, can still not change gears on her bike properly!!

Not even mentioning what else she reckons she can't grasp!!!!!!!;)
Mine's 28 weeks ago. Thumb works fine, but it is slightly less mobile compared to the other, although you never notice in normal activities, only when you really test it compared to the other. I suspect it will always be so. And it apparently healed perfectly.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Go break your thumb, try to adjust your balls, and then get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.