• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Media talks in chaos - no Australian press at the World Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This article has just appeared on SMH:

Fairfax Media breaks ranks with rugby's top body to cover World Cup

Fairfax Media in Australia has announced today that it refuses to sign accreditation for the Rugby World Cup to protect its editorial freedom.

The publisher, whose assets include The Sydney Morning Herald, this website and RugbyHeaven, will send journalists to cover the event but will be denied access by tournament organisers to official World Cup venues.

Fairfax Media has been joined in its stance by News Ltd.

Australian media coverage of the 2011 Rugby World Cup is in jeopardy because of an impasse over accreditation terms.

The Newspaper Publishers Association (NPA) says that, after extensive discussions, the two organisations and tournament organiser, the International Rugby Board (IRB), disagree over two issues.

The IRB believes newspaper publishers should be restricted in the quantity of video they may use for reporting news on digital platforms.

The IRB also demands newspaper publishers should not be able to place any video-based advertisements to accompany news coverage with clips of match highlights.

Newspaper publishers believe they will be at a commercial disadvantage to non-accredited media organisations, which would not be bound by the time restrictions on video footage and would be free to place advertising with their journalism.
NPA chief executive Mark Hollands said it was a "regrettable" situation that he hoped would be resolved before the tournament began.

Publishers' rights to use video to report news was permitted under the fair dealing exemption of the Australian Copyright Act and the publishers were not prepared to sign away these rights.

Hollands said the publishers had agreed they would not allow any guerilla advertising with their coverage that would undermine World Cup sponsorships.

"Yet the IRB insists the publishers must not place any advertising of any description next to our video coverage," he said.

"This is an unwarranted and unnecessary restriction on traditional and legitimate business practices."

National news wire service Australian Associated Press is still in discussion with the IRB over the current wording of accreditation documents that prohibits it from supplying any video coverage sourced under the fair dealing exemption to subscribers.

AAP has advised the NPA it is hopeful of a successful resolution but, if not, it will not cover the event for Australian media from within the World Cup venues.

Hollands said the publishers and the IRB had made progress in several areas of media accreditation, which had initially been designed to restrict their journalism on digital platforms.

"Publishers understand the IRB must earn revenue from licensing games for TV and radio, but we do not accept the IRB is entitled to seek to dictate what material may legitimately be used to report news."

He said many sports continued to try to dictate how publishers delivered their journalism, such as restricting the number of photos published, or demanding reports not be published on mobile platforms.

Hollands said the NPA would continue to talk to the IRB in the hope agreements could be reached for newspaper publishers and AAP.

Fairfax New Zealand's newspapers and websites are not affected by Fairfax Australia's decision. Fairfax NZ has sought and gained accreditation and will cover the tournament.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't see this being a win at all. For the profile of the game, we need media, and as much of it as possible at the RWC.

Although if GAGR turns out to be the only Australian organ covering the World Cup then world domination could be closer than we thought

So has GAGR sold out and signed the agreement? :fishing

D

daz

Does this mean that Greg Growden will just be writing rumour and gossip stories about what might be happening inside the stadiums?

That sounds like it might be a stretch for him. :)

Be prepared for a series of articles that start with "On Twitter today...."

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
There would also be pressure from official RWC sponsors not wanting competitors linking themselves to the event.
Just look at the Wallabies RWC squad announcement. At no point was the phrase World Cup said since Emirates are the RWC sponsors.

Perhaps the real reason for JOC (James O'Connor) being missing from the team announcement is that he has his brand aligned with Emirates?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
When I read that I have to side with our guys. What right do the IRB have to ban advertising on RWC footage? They have to make money somehow FFS, they aren't a community service.

It sounds like typical IRB arrogance to me. What a surprise!

I believe the IRB restrictions are no different to those applied by FIFA or the Olympic Committee for their marquee events. Quite simply, the media doesn't believe that the IRB have the muscle to enforce their restrictions.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
No Official Coverage

Did anyone else read the article in the Australian today stating that there will be no sanctioned coverage of the RWC by aussie newspapers (it was hidden in the 'MEDIA' section) ? Could make for some interesting coverage...............

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
"Newspaper publishers believe they will be at a commercial disadvantage to non-accredited media organisations, which would not be bound by the time restrictions on video footage and would be free to place advertising with their journalism."

There we have it. The SMH has officially stated that it fears its reportage won't be as good as green and gold rugby. In black and white.

U

undercoverkiwi

When I read that I have to side with our guys. What right do the IRB have to ban advertising on RWC footage? They have to make money somehow FFS, they aren't a community service.

It sounds like typical IRB arrogance to me. What a surprise!

The IRB need to make money as well, and protect their IP, which is what they are doing. If they let the Ausgtralian journalists away with it, everyone will do it, and the value of the RWC to the IRB will be harmed. It's commercially sensible.

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think this will become more of an issue especially if wallabies progress through finals. Not being able to show highlights on fta sports panel shows is not a great advertisement for what to date have been some good games. If the IOC and FIFA are able to sort these issues out then surely the IRB can follow suit.

I understand their issues with non commissioned advertising via online news sites but not being able to show these highlights on traditional mediums i think takes away alot of traction they could receive especially when the minnows are giving it to the top tier nations

Status
Not open for further replies.