• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Nice and close to @Dismal Pillock's namesake waterway at least
1712122313677.png

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The deal could have some credibility, might not be a sustainable model long term though.
I was going to say, I hope they have access to more than "$20 to 30 million". That amount might get them onto the field next year, but they are going to need plenty more in the future

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Easily the most positive development for the Rebels this year, I think they'll need to upper end of that 20-30 million range to get it done though, they'll need a solid runway to turn things around given the rate at which they've been losing money.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just noted that Kellaway is a research intern at the investment group, Triple Eight Capital, that Rebels Director Georgia Widdup is an exec at. Clearly jobs for the boys wasn't enough to keep him in Melbourne.

Also I hadn't realised that Georgia Widdup is Leigh Clifford's daughter, useful. Doesn't seem like Georgia/Leigh had much to do with Western Melbourne Group before this, it's purely been a soccer orientated club. I'm curious to know how much WGM are buying into this, are they just a venue or are they a significant investor?

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Easily the most positive development for the Rebels this year, I think they'll need to upper end of that 20-30 million range to get it done though, they'll need a solid runway to turn things around given the rate at which they've been losing money.
It will need at 5+ year plan, as the area develops

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not looking forward to driving for an hour from the North East.

Otherwise literally the strongest possible outcome from a survival perspective though. Time for RA to come to the table.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wonder how all the players who were preparing to sign off on some juicy overseas contracts feel about having to honour their Rebels deals and travel to a new training facility 1hr+ away from the current one.
Rebels can get their new teams to pay a signing fee to break their contracts and earn some coin.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Inside word is:
they'll play big games at AAMI, the rest out west.

Vic Gov. very happy of this and have signed off.

RA don't like it. Don't want to accept it. Only thing stopping them saying no (so far) is optics.
What does the Vic Gov have to sign off on? Are they going to be funding?

Any insight as to what RA don't like?

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Makes it more difficult for people in South - Southeast. Lots of rugby teams in that area Moorabbin, Southern Districts, Endeavour Hills, Box Hill, Harlequins (to a lesser extent) that will make it more difficult for fans to attend.

Hopefully a lot of Saturday and Sunday games, because will be tough to get to Tarneit in Friday peak hour.

But if the options are:

A. Rebels survive and play majority of games at Tarneit; or

B. Rebels fold.

I will take option A every time thanks.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Makes it more difficult for people in South - Southeast. Lots of rugby teams in that area Moorabbin, Southern Districts, Endeavour Hills, Box Hill, Harlequins (to a lesser extent) that will make it more difficult for fans to attend.

Hopefully a lot of Saturday and Sunday games, because will be tough to get to Tarneit in Friday peak hour.

But if the options are:

A. Rebels survive and play majority of games at Tarneit; or

B. Rebels fold.

I will take option A every time thanks.

Well, they're not attending much at present. Couldn't be much worse. Not trying to be negative. Hope this pulls through as I don't want to see the Rebels and by extension the Vic Rugby community cut and lost for good.