• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Reg, you understand surely. Many of us on here (just like you) are heavily connected to their super team be it through working there, having family and/or friends play for them etc. Why would we support RA who are going to take this away? If the reds were on the chopping block you’d be marching in the streets.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Are we happy in assuming that the costs of Rebels’ existence for RA is more than the money they get from VIC government for events?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Totally not, Vic government probably paid 20 million for the Lions test
Okay then, so what’s the justification of cutting the Rebels if not financial.

20,000 extra seats at the Bledisloe is another $1,000,000 too.

Rebels get cut, RA has LESS money and smaller foot print.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

It's probably wishful thinking, but could RA intending to run the Rebels themselves in the future, under a centralised model, and are voting against the DoCA to remove the Rebels directors and the debt they would then be personally liable for from the equation?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Not quite that simple, aside from calling the Vic governments bluff (and the potential for change in government to change the picture) there are still governments in WA, NSW and QLD bidding for these events to varying degrees. Yes they'll lose out on some money if Victoria stops bidding, but it won't be anywhere near all of it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I seriously doubt when push comes to shove that the Vic gov't wouldn't want try for WC final etc. Realistically they go after these events to bring tourists etc into the city, not to support the sport. Good on them for making threats etc, but I somehow think the money will maybe win out in end, and their support in business will suggest strongly they put in bid.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The only reason the board/administrators are getting support, at least they are coming out in support of having a team in Melbourne. Don't care if it's in Ballarat as long as I have a team to support. RA who's not willing to come out and say if we will had no issue flogging overpriced Lions tickets to a game that might not even happen, how's that fair on The rugby public?
Because Phill Waugh and co don’t give a fuck. Their is a certain irony that the RA sycophant come out and continues bash the Rebels board when the RA board has achieved nothing but killing their own product.

Fuck Rugby Australia and fuck the wallabies

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I seriously doubt when push comes to shove that the Vic gov't wouldn't want try for WC final etc. Realistically they go after these events to bring tourists etc into the city, not to support the sport. Good on them for making threats etc, but I somehow think the money will maybe win out in end, and their support in business will suggest strongly they put in bid.
They won’t. We just spent Billions not to have the Comm games. We won’t be spending money on Rugby when RA treats us like they do

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg, you understand surely. Many of us on here (just like you) are heavily connected to their super team be it through working there, having family and/or friends play for them etc. Why would we support RA who are going to take this away? If the reds were on the chopping block you’d be marching in the streets.

DCTarget you understands the Reds have been close to shutting the door and handing in the keys (literally) 2 or 3 times this last 20 years? Each time they reset and streamlined and started again. Didn’t keep it hidden. Didn’t keep spending. Didn’t blame others.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
More info on the process.

To pass the DOCA they will need a majority of creditors to vote for it on a one vote per listed creditor basis, as well as the votes of a majority of the value of debt (so basically the ATO).

Related entities are entitled to vote, so the Rebel's directors and their companies will get their say as well

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

RA’s only task now is to avoid blowing $50m (loan balance plus cash in hand, less required cash balance under the loan) between last 1 Jan this year and when the Lions cash starts to roll in so they can pay down their debt and not lose control of their IP to Pacific Equity Partners. Within that $50m is a year and a half of propping up the Waratahs and paying off whatever debt they took on when they took control, this years cost of running the rebels, the cost of running or not running the rebels next year, and some big interest bills. They will make it, but it is way too close for comfort for them. Any decision will only be made based on a very short term financial basis. They don’t have the money to think long term.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
RA taking on Waratahs ‘debt’ isn’t really the issue people have made it out to be. Waratahs annual reports for 2023 are available to read, they weren’t carrying $million in debt as people claimed earlier.

Finding means to rationalise ongoing costs and find cost savings across RA and Waratahs is an issue, but taking over incurred debt isn’t.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
DCTarget you understands the Reds have been close to shutting the door and handing in the keys (literally) 2 or 3 times this last 20 years? Each time they reset and streamlined and started again. Didn’t keep it hidden. Didn’t keep spending. Didn’t blame others.
Not sure what Tarneit is, if not a reset & streamline. Let the Rebels reset then as the Reds have done. Every time the Reds came close to shuttering, RA didn’t step in and try and stop their survival.

Obviously I don’t condone the board and trading insolvent, I’m just fighting for the existence of my team.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
RA taking on Waratahs ‘debt’ isn’t really the issue people have made it out to be. Waratahs annual reports for 2023 are available to read, they weren’t carrying $million in debt as people claimed earlier.

Finding means to rationalise ongoing costs and find cost savings across RA and Waratahs is an issue, but taking over incurred debt isn’t.
Have you got a link. I can only find the NSWRU, not the Waratahs.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

I love how full of it the RA spin people are.
I find it hard to believe the RA would consider Melbourne as a host of the RWC final, just shows exactly how the short term money grab wholly encompasses the code.
The highlight of rugby worldwide every four years given to a city that 90% of the population wouldn't give a f----k about and two days after the final probably wouldn't even remember the result.

Yes the Rebels should survive in a sustainable domestic competition in a model proven to work, but alas!!!

Rugby may get its extra $million but at what cost, you wonder how the game got to this stage, well this gives you a pretty big clue.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I find it hard to believe the RA would consider Melbourne as a host of the RWC final, just shows exactly how the short term money grab wholly encompasses the code.
The highlight of rugby worldwide every four years given to a city that 90% of the population wouldn't give a f----k about and two days after the final probably wouldn't even remember the result.

Yes the Rebels should survive in a sustainable domestic competition in a model proven to work, but alas!!!

Rugby may get its extra $million but at what cost, you wonder how the game got to this stage, well this gives you a pretty big clue.
The boost to the Vic economy will be measured in the 10s of millions