• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The Rebels’ consortium must jump two hurdles before it can retain control of the company: Rugby Australia handing back the licence for the Super Rugby competition, and the Australian Taxation Office releasing the directors from their personal liability over the club’s $11.6 million in tax debts.
This bit is wrong. The two hurdles are self-imposed by the directors and can be waived by those directors.

They don't want to have to commit to all the payments until their personal liability is waived and they have the licence back.

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
This weekend I was impressed with how professional the Rebels looked. The Reds have had games like that but with quite a few players out they were looking ratty, even if (obviously importantly) successful. If we do lose the Rebels, any fan who is amused is not really a true fan of rugby.
The Rebels players, support staff and coaches are not the upper management and/or directors. Drawing parallels between a one off performance and the organisations current financial issues isn't very helpful. A lot of the Australian teams have been having inconsistency issues, much like the Wallabies if we're honest.

Reactions: dru

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebel while understanding your anger etc, (and I would be too, at both my own board and RA), but mate any kids that is good at union in Victoria will still have pathways. If you think all kids that come through to Brumbies are from their atea, etc I have news for you mate. Same as anywhere else (including NZ) scouts are at all school toruanaments from private schools, academies from all super teams, most NRL teams etc etc. When I lived in Qld and followed GPS school rugby there were kids in SouthportNudgee etc 1st XVs from all Aus.
They won’t have a pathway no kid will move to Canberra to go to the Brumbies academy over the Storm academy or playing TAC Cup. So rugby will be left with the rejects nobody else wants

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
They won’t have a pathway no kid will move to Canberra to go to the Brumbies academy over the Storm academy or playing TAC Cup. So rugby will be left with the rejects nobody else wants
It will be like the old days. If you want success you move up to Sydney or Brisbane to finish school and get on a professional pathway up there (ala Digby Ioane, Lloyd Johansen, etc). The academies down here will drop in standard as the best leave making them less viable pathways. We go back to the days where we produced a wallaby prop about every decade instead of the steady line of internationals coming out of Victoria now.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It will be like the old days. If you want success you move up to Sydney or Brisbane to finish school and get on a professional pathway up there (ala Digby Ioane, Lloyd Johansen, etc). The academies down here will drop in standard as the best leave making them less viable pathways. We go back to the days where we produced a wallaby prop about every decade instead of the steady line of internationals coming out of Victoria now.
100% but it will also be harder than the old days as only now are storm trying to bring through locals. So there is another option for them

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What do you actually want to happen?

At the moment your just acting like a toddler throwing his toys out of his pram and blaming anyone/everyone but the Rebels.

Tell me what you want to happen...

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Would you believe that jail rugby isn't quite the greatest game of all to play as the acolytes say it is. Would you believe that there are a lot of rugby players who dont have'the slightest interest in playing it professionally.
If you're a 6 foot 10 kid, you're not going to suddenly say - 'Bugger the Rebels are gone - I've played rugby my whole life, I'll just switch to Jail rugby'.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Would you believe that jail rugby isn't quite the greatest game of all to play as the acolytes say it is. Would you believe that there are a lot of rugby players who dont have'the slightest interest in playing it professionally.
If you're a 6 foot 10 kid, you're not going to suddenly say - 'Bugger the Rebels are gone - I've played rugby my whole life, I'll just switch to Jail rugby'.
You are right. They head off to basketball or get paid to be a ruckman instead

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
What do you actually want to happen?

At the moment your just acting like a toddler throwing his toys out of his pram and blaming anyone/everyone but the Rebels.

Tell me what you want to happen...
Just spelling out the reality of it buddy. If the Rebels die so does the production of juniors out of Melbourne. You can’t have one without the other. The fact that all people care about is how they can enrich their lists and get access to the talent coming through is reflective of the myopic attitude that is pervasive throughout Australian Rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

1714874119185.jpeg

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you’re 6’10 you are likely to get drafted.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You'd switch to basketball or AFL

Not that there are many 6 foot 10 kids to speak of ... They're rare AF.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Literally a product of the Rebels academy and the only one that moved away to start his super rugby career. He also came through at a time where we didn’t have a Storm academy in the state.

Tamati Houra was one of the first I can remember. Schooled in VIC, through all the rep teams, then contacted to Brumbies and Force.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just spelling out the reality of it buddy. If the Rebels die so does the production of juniors out of Melbourne. You can’t have one without the other. The fact that all people care about is how they can enrich their lists and get access to the talent coming through is reflective of the myopic attitude that is pervasive throughout Australian Rugby
Where is anyone picking the corpse of the Rebel.. If there's no Rebels of course we will lose some Victorians..
But what's your solution, do you want the current directors to be back in charge (that's what it sounds like).

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
But Queensland is the one developing all these juniors though. Hell, West's is essentially the Rebels feeder club at this point now.
Undoubtedly that is a big problem. The loss of the NRC and the cancelled seasons with covid really hurt the club comp here. You saw a mass exodus of the local products who made up the NRC squad as well as those who were on the fringe. With the loss of that talent the Rebels put their players in the QPR not a move that I am too fond of and those two things greatly diminished the club system here

I understand that the game doesn’t have the money to bring the NRC back and while it may never of worked well in Sydney it was useful to bring players through in smaller markets where the gap between club footy and super rugby is way bigger

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Tamati Houra was one of the first I can remember. Schooled in VIC, through all the rep teams, then contacted to Brumbies and Force.
To date myself, Tamati was same year as me at school - played against him. As I recall it back then, Ewen McKenzie was the great Victorian success story that we all knew about, Andrew Heath got to the wallabies whilst I was a schoolboy and that was huge. Tamati got to Aus A, but it was mainly the guys who had moved north in school who went further as there were no real pathways. I think David Palavi made it the Brumbies via the Storm but all in it was a lean time for higher honours.