• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I am confused, If as they have already advised the ATO has cannot wavier the outstanding directors penalties and other unpaid taxes, and if RA refuse to reissue the licence for the MR's to play in Super Rugby. What chance is there of any scheme put forward actually getting through.

I am not the one prosecuting the case yet if prominent lawyers KC’s who have taken legal action against the game before to ensure the survival in 2017 believe there are grounds to take the matter to court. Well they would be in a better position to judge than you or I.

Interesting question, historically sporting agreements are poorly written up and across a number of codes governing bodies have lost at court.

Just on the directors going to jail, I doubt that very much in this case as the ATO has the choice of two types of penalties, essentially civil and criminal. The ATO use criminal for things like fraud, tax schemes etc nothing aside from getting behind in ATO payments indicates the ATO would go to criminal charges.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I am confused, If as they have already advised the ATO has cannot wavier the outstanding directors penalties and other unpaid taxes, and if RA refuse to reissue the licence for the MR's to play in Super Rugby. What chance is there of any scheme put forward actually getting through.
The consortium has only agree to recapitalise the Rebels if both the ATO waive the DPNs and RA give back the license.

The directors can waive either of these if they choose, but they won't.

If either isn't agreed to, there's no $$$, but the directors would be funded to pursue the legal action to reduce what they owe through DPNs.

Last edited:

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The consortium has only agree to recapitalise the Rebels if both the ATO waive the DPNs and RA give back the license.

The directors can waive either of these if they choose, but they won't.

If either isn't agreed to, there's no $$$, but the directors would be funded to pursue the legal action to reduce what they owe through DPNs.
thanks so who is funding their legal action

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who's knows what's true between the directors and RA at this stage, but if the directors can show the ATO of the money being owed by RA is true. You would expect the ATO to agree to going to court, as everything after 30 cent on the dollar goes back to them.

While I hear everyone going on about some cross over directors shouldn't be involved. Don't forget they are walking away from 6.3 million they are owed by the club to go ahead with the DOCA.

I would be happy if they remove Paul Docherty though, I'll buy his debt out myself as he is only owed $1.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who's knows what's true between the directors and RA at this stage, but if the directors can show the ATO of the money being owed by RA is true. You would expect the ATO to agree to going to court, as everything after 30 cent on the dollar goes back to them.

I still don't see why the ATO would go down a path that can only be resolved through litigation (that doesn't involve them) when they have the clear legal ability to get the funds owing directly from the directors.

Reactions: mst

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Ah yes, the KC who is also a former director of the Rebels and liable for millions in unpaid taxes to the ATO...
And involved with Cameron Clyne in the infamous rugby decision of 2017!
Maybe RA are trying to distance themselves from the shonks that have been involved with The Rebels from the start!

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Does it seem unlikely that the Tarneit consortium have paid through the required amounts at this point?

Surely if they had they'd be shouting it from the rooftops that they had met their end of the bargain and Rugby Australia needed to act.
Did we ever hear anything on this?

half

Alan Cameron (40)
More a comment as opposed to anything new or possible solution.

The old saying a house divided against itself, springs to mind.

If ever a code needed unity with agreed and realistic pathways forward it's rugby today.

The Rebels n RA, seemingly at each other's throats is systematic of where we find ourselves.

So many issues of disagreement so many opinions on the what to do and when.

Maybe it's time to unite behind the current board so at least we can stop internally tearing ourselves apart

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
IMG_9928.jpeg

Frame it and hang it in the louve.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We did a job on the Highlanders and got pipped by the Chiefs. The rest would be fairly short odds to spank us, tbh.