• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
copied & pasted from a local clubs fb page

Dear Victorian Rugby Community

On behalf of the Rugby Victoria Board I would like to inform you that our CEO, Chris Evans, has tendered his resignation. Chris has been offered a fantastic opportunity at a national level with Bowls Australia. Chris has provided over 15 years of service to our game at RV, rising from the ranks of Development Officer to CEO in that time.

The opportunity for Chris to spread his wings and continue his growth in sports administration within a national sporting body was one that was too good for him to ignore.

Chris’ last day will be Friday 10 November.

Speaking about his decision Chris said “After much reflection, I have decided to step down from my role as CEO of Rugby Victoria and accept a new challenge. It has been an incredible privilege and honour to serve the game I love for 15 years. I am grateful to the hundreds of volunteers and dedicated staff that support the game week in, week out. I would also like to take the opportunity to thank the Board for their leadership and support over many years”.

The Board has asked Shelley Nowlan, General Manager Commercial, Marketing and Strategy to step up as Acting CEO for a 3 month period following Chris’ departure to allow the Board to work through the transition period.

On behalf of the Board and the wider Victorian Rugby community, we would like to take the opportunity to thank Chris for his service, leadership, and tireless efforts, and for his dedication to the ongoing growth and development of Rugby in this State. Chris’ passion and commitment for the game over many years is evident to everyone he meets, and we wish him all the very best in his future endeavours. We congratulate Shelley Nowlan on her appointment and we look forward to continuing to grow and develop Rugby in Victoria.

Kind Regards

Liz Radcliffe
Vice President
Rugby Victoria

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Lebron Naea just shared on insta EH 9 (axeman 9 as well) Caprice Cocker has joined Bahrain rc in the West Asia Premiership, prob not the most direct way to super rugby but wow what an experience

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lebron Naea just shared on insta EH 9 (axeman 9 as well) Caprice Cocker has joined Bahrain rc in the West Asia Premiership, prob not the most direct way to super rugby but wow what an experience

I dunno what the cash or whatever would look like, but October through March is such a good timeline for an Australian Club player, all the way through the offseason here.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Cool, good on him. Don't know much about Bahrain but I wonder if its rugby presence is from being a former British protectorate.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Cool, good on him. Don't know much about Bahrain but I wonder if its rugby presence is from being a former British protectorate.

I googled it last night & looks that way, most of the clubs are in Dubai & Abu Dhabi if you were in your 20's & wanting to travel it would be a pretty cool experience

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Aw, makes me sad about about Trevor Hosea. Hope he absolutely tears it up in Japan and makes bank.

And good reminder about Leafi Talataina, so talented but not currently signed? Wonder who's dragging their feet.
Hopefully we can get him back in a few years. Really looked on track for big things before the injuries.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm excited for Salakai-Loto to return to Aus rugby. Hopefully his brief stint away has reignited something. With him, Leota, Ekuasi and Kemeny we can put out a pretty mobile back 5 that plays above their weight. Along with Mafi, Tupou, Gibbon, Fa'amausili, we might even have a forward pack there.

But yeah, keen for Salakai-Loto to return to his Wallabies form.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The locks dip off quite hard after the starters and we've still got issues with Hookers who can throw, but I'm not too worried about our forwards.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Are we expecting any signings by next Thursday (squad announcement)? Or are we all locked in.
Wouldn’t surprise me to see another outside back given the injury to Pincus but it’s pretty locked in I’d say. Any signing would just be wider squad cover

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The locks dip off quite hard after the starters and we've still got issues with Hookers who can throw, but I'm not too worried about our forwards.
I think we will see Canham and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as primary option, Smith on bench with Leota 4th option if needed.

Actually happy to see Leota at lock this weekend, just to build on experiences playing there. He’s the Reece Hodge of forwards as can almost guarantee he will spend time at 4,5,6,7,8 this season

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think we will see Canham and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as primary option, Smith on bench with Leota 4th option if needed.

Actually happy to see Leota at lock this weekend, just to build on experiences playing there. He’s the Reece Hodge of forwards as can almost guarantee he will spend time at 4,5,6,7,8 this season

That's a very thin 2nd row, 1 lock 1 Hybrid & the bloke off the bench only has a handful of games up his sleeve

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think we will see Canham and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as primary option, Smith on bench with Leota 4th option if needed.

I think across the non-front row pack, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Leota, Wilkin, Ekuasi and Kemeny are guaranteed to be in there and performing to Super standard comfortably.

I think the coaching staff aren't sure about which 4/6 option in that next group down (Tualima, Callan, Smith or Maiava) is genuinely the best player to balance the rest of the team, and I'm worried that they haven't settled on it, as I think it indicates some significant level of indecisiveness of what we want to get out of our forwards.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
1. Gibbon
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Canham
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Kemeny
7. Wilkin
8. Leota

16. Mafi
17. Eloff