• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You want rivalry and passion in the game, it's this type of stuff that makes it thrive.

I still clutch my pearls whenever I think back 12-13 years ago when Giteau kicked for the posts against the Reds rather than giving us a losing bonus point.

I'm sure as hell that WF fans love smashing the Rebels after they were gutted by Rebels. The Reds fans had the same feeling when the Force did the same thing to us.

Perhaps the largest membership base in the country should use this as an opportunity to come together and create an atmosphere next year when the Rebels come through all of this of "us vs them" rather than being so apathetic.

I have no schadenfreude regarding the Rebels problems. None at all. Quite the opposite. On the field I'll see them steam-rollered by a rampaging Reds. But I'm shocked with the issues in Melbourne. And I'm completely befluxed at what happens to Aus Super Rugby if we end up with 4 teams. MASSIVE problem in my books. Doubly so in Melbourne.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
lol don't know if the conspiracies being thrown around here are that outlandish or at least the Rebels CEO is backing them:
"In response to recent negative media coverage originating out of Sydney, the Melbourne Rebels wishes to address the speculations and set the record straight. Despite the unfounded speculation circulating in the media, we want to assure our supporters, stakeholders, and the wider community that the Melbourne Rebels’ future is extremely bright. Our club is unwavering in its commitment to excellence both on and off the field in 2024 and will not be distracted by those who are seeking again to harm and disrespect our community."

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Having a chat with some involved there is definitely a sense of some people in the background trying to destabilize the Rebels and push for a better financial and resource result from the constriction of teams. Not saying Rebels in good health either.

So many think getting rid of Hamish was the solution but the truth is there is even more division now than 2 weeks ago. Going to be an interesting start to the year. RA looking at still pressuring teams to centralize completely and so far not going to provide extra grant to force some outcomes.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Having a chat with some involved there is definitely a sense of some people in the background trying to destabilize the Rebels and push for a better financial and resource result from the constriction of teams.

So many think getting rid of Hamish was the solution but the truth is there is even more division now than 2 weeks ago. Going to be an interesting start to the year. RA looking at still pressuring teams to centralize completely and so far not going to provide extra grant to force some outcomes.

Even using burner accounts on this forum

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Having a chat with some involved there is definitely a sense of some people in the background trying to destabilize the Rebels and push for a better financial and resource result from the constriction of teams. Not saying Rebels in good health either.

for fuck's sake that's so bleak. Rugby in Aus is in such a bad place we can't afford not to work together, let alone active back stabbing. Reminds me of student politics, grim stuff.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
It’s so obvious it’s painful. Still, if we get through this period it will really fire the team and fans up. This has got a Rocky story line written all over it

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
for fuck's sake that's so bleak. Rugby in Aus is in such a bad place we can't afford not to work together, let alone active back stabbing. Reminds me of student politics, grim stuff.
I'm curious DC, because you're rightly so close to this from a fan perspective, are you forgetting the shenanigans the Rebels pulled back in 2017 with the transfer of their licence?

It's shit what's going on, but it's not exactly like the Rebels management have clean hands over the last few years.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm curious DC, because you're rightly so close to this from a fan perspective, are you forgetting the shenanigans the Rebels pulled back in 2017 with the transfer of their licence?

It's shit what's going on, but it's not exactly like the Rebels management have clean hands over the last few years.
I was blissfully in a period of not being involved in rugby back then and living overseas, so don't actually know the breakdown of what happened too closely. But yeah I would condone them too if they pulled similar silly buggers during difficult times. It's a shame that naturally when times get tough the unions have to fight for their own self-survival before being able to help out nationally.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yeah.... like i said at the time.... That was just another case of board members and self-interest destabilising Australian Rugby, and the fans are the ones to wear the hurt.

I am however grateful that these individuals working in the background fabricated the story of Rebels owing money to ATO/AAMI Park and that the BRC subsidiaries haven't fallen into insolvency..

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah.... like i said at the time.... That was just another case of board members and self-interest destabilising Australian Rugby, and the fans are the ones to wear the hurt.

I am however grateful that these individuals working in the background fabricated the story of Rebels owing money to ATO/AAMI Park and that the BRC subsidiaries haven't fallen into insolvency..
Two things can be right at the same time

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m looking forward to the 2024 SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) season. Watch me some Rugby. Remember that game?

Yes thanks.

Rugbys biggest headlines this off-season have all sadly been a negative reflection of rugbys boardroom shit fights. Need the season to come around quick smart, move past this Annus horribilis, for the sake of some on here and the game as a whole.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Rereading Herbert’s statement when he was appointed - this quote tells us exactly what he wants, centralisation ‘“It has never been more important for the Rugby Australia board, working with Member Unions, to come together and execute the reform we absolutely need for an aligned high-performance system and to deliver on the commitments we have made, including to invest in Community and Women’s Rugby’

he’s trying to remove the board

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rereading Herbert’s statement when he was appointed - this quote tells us exactly what he wants, centralisation ‘“It has never been more important for the Rugby Australia board, working with Member Unions, to come together and execute the reform we absolutely need for an aligned high-performance system and to deliver on the commitments we have made, including to invest in Community and Women’s Rugby’

he’s trying to remove the board

Nah..

I was very critical of how Mclennan was sacked and the way QLD and ACT conspired to have a new chairman appointed, but the very nature of this appointment was because QLD and ACT were unhappy that the centralisation model McLennan was angling for was a complete takeover of the commercial and high-performance sections, leaving unions to manage nothing but the grassroots (a positive IMO). States voted on the McLennan sacking decision based on this.

When Herbert was appointed, the push for states to hand over the commercial license to RA like NSW did, ended. Doesn't mean a state still wont do it willingly if they are broke though, but to suggest he is trying to remove the board seems silly then, he was brought in by those states to end the power grab of Super Rugby licenses by RA.

Last edited: