• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Splitting home grounds has rarely (never?) been successful. Regardless the suggestion is another devolve to "shrink to greatness". The poblem is the comp, not the clubs.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
If there was to be a merger between the Brumbies and the Rebels then the majority of games would have to be played down in Melbourne and not in Canberra. Melbourne is the most important market in Australia for RA. Sydney and Queensland already have a significant Rugby presence so growth potential in those areas is minimal. Melbourne is the great white whale. If RA are looking for growth then Melbourne must be the prime market to target and unfortunately the population of the ACT makes them the least important one even though they are the most successful team on the park.
The unfortunate issue is that RA is still under the misguided impression that it can compete with NRL and AFL rather than accepting that it has lost that fight. Now it needs to compete with Soccer and Basketball as the next level sports and accept that it will never grab the hearts of minds of the general public to the same degree as NRL and AFL.
Rugby needs to live within our means and that means accept that Topou etc... have to be allowed to go overseas and play because we can't afford to keep them. for Australian teams it is a chicken and the egg situation, to bring the money in you need to be successful to do that though you need the best players but to get the best players you need to be able to pay the large salaries that are competitive on the international market.
All the clubs need to accept that the best players can get more money overseas and RA needs to accept that as well and allow the Wallabies to select as many overseas players as they want.
Australia needs to shrink the game, not in terms of number of teams but in terms of cost, and that unfortunately means letting the cream leave to make big money elsewhere. This is just my opinion of course.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
To back my earlier point - Quote from the AFR today - "But in late December, Rugby Australia chief executive Phil Waugh refused to guarantee the team’s long-term survival.

“It is our intent to have five teams in five markets,” he said. “That’s Super Rugby presence, as we sit here today. But right now, we understand there is a reset of the game and how do we look at what is the best path forward?“

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Splitting home grounds has rarely (never?) been successful. Regardless the suggestion is another devolve to "shrink to greatness". The poblem is the comp, not the clubs.
Oh I don't dispute that. In an ideal world we have our own domestic comp. But we don't live in an ideal world, particularly when it comes to rugby.

Reactions: dru

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
If there was to be a merger between the Brumbies and the Rebels then the majority of games would have to be played down in Melbourne and not in Canberra. Melbourne is the most important market in Australia for RA. Sydney and Queensland already have a significant Rugby presence so growth potential in those areas is minimal. Melbourne is the great white whale. If RA are looking for growth then Melbourne must be the prime market to target and unfortunately the population of the ACT makes them the least important one even though they are the most successful team on the park.
The unfortunate issue is that RA is still under the misguided impression that it can compete with NRL and AFL rather than accepting that it has lost that fight. Now it needs to compete with Soccer and Basketball as the next level sports and accept that it will never grab the hearts of minds of the general public to the same degree as NRL and AFL.
Rugby needs to live within our means and that means accept that Topou etc... have to be allowed to go overseas and play because we can't afford to keep them. for Australian teams it is a chicken and the egg situation, to bring the money in you need to be successful to do that though you need the best players but to get the best players you need to be able to pay the large salaries that are competitive on the international market.
All the clubs need to accept that the best players can get more money overseas and RA needs to accept that as well and allow the Wallabies to select as many overseas players as they want.
Australia needs to shrink the game, not in terms of number of teams but in terms of cost, and that unfortunately means letting the cream leave to make big money elsewhere. This is just my opinion of course.
I'm not sure I agree with your view that the majority of games would have to be played in Melbourne rather than Canberra - 1. The game attendance at AAMI is woeful; 2. Brumbies players, being part of the most successful team, would rightly (imo) demand to play at their home base.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm not sure I agree with your view that the majority of games would have to be played in Melbourne rather than Canberra - 1. The game attendance at AAMI is woeful; 2. Brumbies players, being part of the most successful team, would rightly (imo) demand to play at their home base.
Yes, game attendance at AAMI is woeful but it is no better in Canberra. The attendances to their games are also awful but they have no potential to increase where as Melbourne does. The Brumbies got 8000 last year to a quarter final so even being successful could not increase their crowds. The ACT doesn't have the population for growth in the game that Melbourne does it is not because of anything the Brumbies are doing just purely population.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yes, game attendance at AAMI is woeful but it is no better in Canberra. The attendances to their games are also awful but they have no potential to increase where as Melbourne does. The Brumbies got 8000 last year to a quarter final so even being successful could not increase their crowds. The ACT doesn't have the population for growth in the game that Melbourne does it is not because of anything the Brumbies are doing just purely population.
I've always had the theory that Rebels just needed a modicum of success. Melburnians love sport and supporting, so many union fans that aren't Rebels fans. If the Rebels went deep into finals we'd easily get good numbers.

Sadly don't think we'll ever see my theory in action.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The fact they used to get 20,000 to a game, and the rising attendances of the Raiders as the Brumbies' declined, might suggest it's not just the population but maybe broader issues with the sport.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I've always had the theory that Rebels just needed a modicum of success. Melburnians love sport and supporting, so many union fans that aren't Rebels fans. If the Rebels went deep into finals we'd easily get good numbers.

I quietly have the Rebels as a bit of a dark horse this year - the squad is pretty reasonable on paper, with several now having (albeit disastrous) Wallabies exposure. Considering all the current noise, it would be great to see them go deep this year.

P.S. how the fuck was the squad announced almost 3 months ago and is still not updated on the Rebel's website? Now, there's a job for a volunteer grad...

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

and they love an underdog

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I quietly have the Rebels as a bit of a dark horse this year - the squad is pretty reasonable on paper, with several now having (albeit disastrous) Wallabies exposure. Considering all the current noise, it would be great to see them go deep this year.

P.S. how the fuck was the squad announced almost 3 months ago and is still not updated on the Rebel's website? Now, there's a job for a volunteer grad...
Brad Harris will be a major impact

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just as long as the players' superannuation payments have been made - otherwise the Melb Rebels Directors could be liable for them - anyone know if they have been paid in the Dec qtr?
I don't think it would come to that, but when it comes to companies showing signs of insolvency, as an employee you want to checking your super contributions and hitting up HR if they aren't paid, and then cashing out/taking all your leave at the first opportunity. Creditors come knocking when financial issues are emerging, no one wants to the last one owed money.

I'd expect the players payments are somehow guaranteed by RA, it's the staff and other creditors that would lose out financially if insolvency hit.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Most lads who play union follow the storm because they win.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Letter from the boss

The Melbourne Rebels wish to address recent media coverage and provide clarity on the current situation.

Melbourne Rebels’ directors and management fully endorse Rugby Australia's recent statement to the media, as quoted: “RA’s focus is on the future sustainability of the Melbourne Rebels, and we continue to work diligently with Paul (Docherty) and the board of the Rebels on that.” Our collaboration with Rugby Australia remains steadfast, and we are in constant communication with both their representatives and our dedicated board.

The ongoing work with Rugby Australia is a testament to our shared commitment to ensuring the long-term viability and success of the Melbourne Rebels. We assure you that our collaboration will persist as we collectively navigate the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.

During this period, transparency is of utmost importance to us. We commit to keeping all stakeholders informed of any developments and progress resulting from our collaborative efforts with Rugby Australia. Your trust and support are invaluable to us, and we want to ensure that you are well-informed about the steps we are taking to secure the future of the Melbourne Rebels.

While addressing these matters, it is crucial to emphasise that our primary focus remains on preparing for the upcoming 2024 season. The dedication and hard work of everyone involved in the Melbourne Rebels, from coaches, players and staff, is unwavering. We are fully committed to translating this commitment into action on the field and delivering a successful and memorable season.

We appreciate your continued support during this time and assure you that the Melbourne Rebels are resilient and focused on the future. As we collectively work towards the common goal of ensuring the sustainability and success of our beloved club, we are confident that, together, we will overcome any challenges that may arise.

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Best Regards,
Baden Stephenson | Chief Executive Officer
Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It is nothing more than a basic comm template to say, "We see the media speculation, we don't completely disagree with it, and we commit to keeping you updated", - but providing no actual update.

Clearly, they can't provide more detail at this point, but they need to change the narrative fast. Otherwise, the season is DOA before it starts.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Talked to someone today who's pretty informed. Said it's just media speculation to try get the Rebels to conform to RA centralizing everything.

Considering 2025 has two Lions games in Melbourne, followed by a home world cup rugby will be kept in Melbourne for a least more years. There is no way to cut it with all the government deals already made and in progress.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The comms we received during the 2017 culling were far stronger and combative. Drafted by a lawyer with strong comms experience. It showed fight, passion, and resistance. What this letter is feels no stronger than an auto-reply email message.

Says two things - this whole affair is a beat-up from RA trying to drive down the purchase price, or the REbels are looking for the white flag to raise. Personally, I think it's the former, for all the reasons I described in previous posts.

Even if they are to stick about, they really need to improve their communications with stakeholders. Don't treat us like fools, engage at our level, and show some passion.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes the upshot of that is that some games would have to be played in Melbourne. I get that not having one 'home ground' is an issue for both bands of supporters, and that both would want in their city. There is no simple solution but the objective is to grow the game in both areas, so whatever it is that achieves that.
With air travel in this country the way it is, it is probably cheaper, more frequent and quicker to travel Sydney to Melbourne than Canberra to Melbourne. An amalgamation between the RA Waratahs and the RA Rebels has a lot going for it.