• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So for 10 cents then?
Sad reality is; you could pay 10cents but it will still cost another $9million for the new owner as whoever takes over the license also takes on the debt.

*Assuming those debt figures are accurate.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Doc is expected to step down & this line is basically what Dan Andrews did to ensure 2 bleds & a Lions series test before covid.

Rugby Australia remains committed to the Rebels playing in 2024, but the future beyond that could rely on a cash injection from the Victorian government.

“We have said we need to have presence in five markets, and our biggest markets, and so it is our intent to continue on that path. It is our intent to have five teams in five markets,” he said last month.

Five teams are needed to satisfy the current TV deal, which expires at the end of the 2025 season.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

Doc is expected to step down & this line is basically what Dan Andrews did to ensure 2 bleds & a Lions series test before covid.

Rugby Australia remains committed to the Rebels playing in 2024, but the future beyond that could rely on a cash injection from the Victorian government.

“We have said we need to have presence in five markets, and our biggest markets, and so it is our intent to continue on that path. It is our intent to have five teams in five markets,” he said last month.

Five teams are needed to satisfy the current TV deal, which expires at the end of the 2025 season.
Another Newscorpse classic "Tupou was one of seven Rebels players, including scrum-half Carter Gordon, who went to last year’s World Cup with the Wallabies before returning for pre-season"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Noticed this in the AFR article "BRC Capital is a major sponsor of the club, which finished eighth in the competition last season, tipping in about $100,000 a year in sponsorship contributions."

Not an amount to send the club over the edge, there's more to this story than the headlines - I reiterate my thoughts - hatchet job to get Docs out.

That is a hatched job…

The Rebels finished 11th.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
great - now we can go back to arguing about flyhalfs being the exclusive goal kickers….

Carter does have a sick spiral on his pass and he’s got that mongrel around the breakdown.:: I think he’d make a fine #9
I am not sure he is yappy enough and just looking at him doesn't make me want to punch someone so he doesn't have all the basic requirements of a #9.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So very disappointing that the Chairman has driven his own companies into the ground and is doing the same to our club. BRC has unpaid super so I suspect does Melbourne Rebels if he is true to form
I doubt he’s doing it intentionally. The bigger issue here is that it’s very difficult to envisage that someone could be going through that much financial stress and be committed to chairing a sports franchise beyond pulling out the board papers 5 minutes before the meeting, and then still likely focused on all the other crap being delivered to his inbox during the meeting. The $100k pa is chump change compared to all his other issues.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I have (another) conspiracy - just as the last leak from RA coincided with Marky N moving to the NRL - is it a mere happenstance that there are rumour of Jordy Petaia moving to NFL ????

1706164069554.png

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have (another) conspiracy - just as the last leak from RA coincided with Marky N moving to the NRL - is it a mere happenstance that there are rumour of Jordy Petaia moving to NFL ????

I’m more concerned about Petaia playing NFL - he’s made of balsa wood!

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I doubt he’s doing it intentionally. The bigger issue here is that it’s very difficult to envisage that someone could be going through that much financial stress and be committed to chairing a sports franchise beyond pulling out the board papers 5 minutes before the meeting, and then still likely focused on all the other crap being delivered to his inbox during the meeting. The $100k pa is chump change compared to all his other issues.
Intentional-incompetent? Let’s ask the workers at BRC who are owed wages and then let’s get a statement from one player confirming thier super was paid last quarter

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm certain RA would help out if the Rebels hand back their licence.
Wonder if RA can afford to help out with the Rebels' debt on top of the multi-millions they now owe on behalf of the RA Waratahs? Won't be much left of the recent loan if they continue absorbing Super Rugby teams' debts.