• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some talk of a Rebels-Moana merger out of Melbourne with World Rugby funding invilved.

Could Melbourne Pasifika be a neat solution and solve problems for both RA & NZR? Any chance of cut through?

Appreciate die hard rebels fans will hate it, but frankly they've seem to run a Pasifika first strategy already and could get better crowds by taking a game or two to Apia I suspect.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Some talk of a Rebels-Moana merger out of Melbourne with World Rugby funding invilved.

Could Melbourne Pasifika be a neat solution and solve problems for both RA & NZR? Any chance of cut through?

Appreciate die hard rebels fans will hate it, but frankly they've seem to run a Pasifika first strategy already and could get better crowds by taking a game or two to Apia I suspect.

Have you been to a community rugby game in melbourne? I already thought we were Melbourne Pasifika

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
nope-gif.gif

The Saudis are partners of the USA (good guys)

like I said - I’m not too familiar with geo politics. But there’s issue over there with “same sex relationships”

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Saudis are partners of the USA (good guys)

like I said - I’m not too familiar with geo politics. But there’s issue over there with “same sex relationships”
I am guessing you don't really care but they would probably constitute frenemies. They have arms deals and all that jazz but generally provide funding to militant groups that are opposed to Israel, who the US also have a bunch of arms deals and other financial ties with.

Basically, arms deals.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I am guessing you don't really care but they would probably constitute frenemies. They have arms deals and all that jazz but generally provide funding to militant groups that are opposed to Israel, who the US also have a bunch of arms deals and other financial ties with.

Basically, arms deals.

I knew the UAE was like that. They definitely house hamas leaders… had not heard anything about saudis however.

bad guys live in all different countries. Doesn’t mean we should paint a nation with a broad brush

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I knew the UAE was like that. They definitely house hamas leaders… had not heard anything about saudis however.

bad guys live in all different countries. Doesn’t mean we should paint a nation with a broad brush
True, I suppose 'badness' is probably a spectrum. Personally, if presented with the option I'd probably dodge Saudi funding unless I absolutely had to take it.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Nup Rebels or nothing. Why have a team in Melbourne that is meant to provide test players for the islands, also while the Pacifica community are by far the dominant ethnic group in Vic Rugby you don’t want a team that isolates other groups

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Doesn’t mean we should paint a nation with a broad brush
Well, the PIF who the article is about is a state entity who take direction from the royal family.

Hell, here's an article from a couple weeks ago talking about this very point https://theathletic.com/5197880/202...d-al-rumayyan-pif/?source=user_shared_articleNewcastle chairman Al-Rumayyan faces $74m lawsuit for ‘carrying out’ malicious instructions of Bin Salman

I'm not even going to cover sport washing. But, I would be very concerned about a potential owner of a club being miles apart from the fans and players culturally.

Surely Waugh has enough high profile connections that have $10 million floating around. He should hit up double Bay jesus and tell him hed be able to grind Twiggys team down twice a year.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
True, I suppose 'badness' is probably a spectrum. Personally, if presented with the option I'd probably dodge Saudi funding unless I absolutely had to take it.
From what I understand, the Crown Prince, who virtually rules Saudi, is preparing for a life after oil and is trying to recalibrate the country and open it up. He is easing restrictions on women, eg they can now drive, and building new "Western Cities". He has also clamped down on the Mullahs and the extremists and is negotiating with Israel because he sees their hi-tech economy has an important ally. So the sports sponsorships, like LIV and Premier League, are all part of his plan to open Saudi even further.
Apparently the new cities will have bars and bottle shops.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
From what I understand, the Crown Prince, who virtually rules Saudi, is preparing for a life after oil and is trying to recalibrate the country and open it up. He is easing restrictions on women, eg they can now drive, and building new "Western Cities". He has also clamped down on the Mullahs and the extremists and is negotiating with Israel because he sees their hi-tech economy has an important ally. So the sports sponsorships, like LIV and Premier League, are all part of his plan to open Saudi even further.
Apparently the new cities will have bars and bottle shops.
Still has no qualms with assassinating and dismembering journalists who challenge him though, so there's that...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
In order of preference, presuming conditionless RA support is off the table.

Unlikely Domestic Billionaire Angel Investor
RA ownership with Vic Government support through to end of 2027/Super Rugby contract
Moana Pasifika merger w WR (World Rugby) guarantee through 2027/current super rugby contract
RA ownership with Vic Government support through end of 2025
Foreign Ownership
Saudi Ownership
Death
Other Middle Eastern Ownership

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

RA ownership with Vic Government support through to end of 2027/Super Rugby contract
Moana Pasifika merger w WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) guarantee through 2027/current super rugby contract
Foreign Ownership
Saudi Ownership
Death
where does owning pokies come in that order 'lander?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Still has no qualms with assassinating and dismembering journalists who challenge him though, so there's that...
To play devils advocate - the US do all sorts of equally and often even more heinous shit and we have no issues with US based funding for anything. I can see the double standard argument.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Moana Pasifika merger w WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) guarantee through 2027/current super rugby contract
Foreign Ownership
Saudi Ownership
Death

I'm not totally against an Rebels/Pasifika merger. Pathway development program could work both ways as well.

We may loose 2 home games but if we keep a side in Melb i'm happy. When Stirling Mortlock made the change so did I & i'm not driving to canberra up & back to watch rugby.

Reactions: TSR

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nup Rebels or nothing. Why have a team in Melbourne that is meant to provide test players for the islands, also while the Pacifica community are by far the dominant ethnic group in Vic Rugby you don’t want a team that isolates other groups

What if the merged team was still called the Melbourne Rebels but half the squad had to be eligible for Samoa or Tonga? The rest of the squad predominantly Australian players, with an emphasis on locally produced guys.