• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
where does owning pokies come in that order 'lander?
Probably above the 2025 commitment. IDK where we'd get them in the first place or where we'd put them, but pokies are an evil that the State governments have an obligation to solve, not individual players in the market.

Obviously would prefer to do without them altogether, but if it were "run pokies and be more or less sustainable" or "be in the same place in 12-19 months time" the former is the way to go.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
What if the merged team was still called the Melbourne Rebels but half the squad had to be eligible for Samoa or Tonga? The rest of the squad predominantly Australian players, with an emphasis on locally produced guys.
What does it solve though? Do they suddenly get bigger crowds and make more money or does it just take a problem away from NZ and give it to us

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
What does it solve though? Do they suddenly get bigger crowds and make more money or does it just take a problem away from NZ and give it to us
It takes two problems and merges them into one.

A Pacifica team in Melbourne actually makes more sense then Auckland, I still think I would find it hard to jump onboard as a supporter. I would watch with interest and attend the odd game maybe, I wouldn't be a member and I defiantly would not be road tripping to attend games interstate any more.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It takes two problems and merges them into one.

A Pacifica team in Melbourne actually makes more sense then Auckland, I still think I would find it hard to jump onboard as a supporter. I would watch with interest and attend the odd game maybe, I wouldn't be a member and I defiantly would not be road tripping to attend games interstate any more.
it would only take having a few ex-Rebels players and coaches for me to be interested.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

There has to be buy in to bring through talent from the Islands, atm its just feels like an npc all star side of eligible players

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Rebels would be the strongest representation of Polynesian and Fijians out of all 5 super rugby AU teams

there’s a lot of depth there for it to be a thought to at least entertain.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I dunno. Lots of pasifika boys both playing for the rebels and in the broader rugby community. No mixing of markets like it would in sydney or auckland. extra WR (World Rugby) money. Being a 5th team with a lot of top ups for Australia is substantially less "best of the rest" than a 6th side is for NZ.

Realistically it would also only need to tread water for 3-5 seasons, until we expect something different to emerge, either with the doubling down on the shrinking to greatness or abandoning of Super.

Last edited:

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)

Will not solve for poor crowds/engagement in Melb (probably would make worse), but a couple of games in Apia could sell out.

Pros:
- Maintain presence in largest Aus city which is helpful for broadcast revs.
- Potentially cost efficient solution for RA if Vic gov and/or World Rugby co-fund (would be a quid pro quo sitch)
- Maintains clear Vic pathway and could help Aus player depth issues in Super Rugby.
- Not necessarily inconsistent with broader centralisation (cab run back office out of RA)

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
To play devils advocate - the US do all sorts of equally and often even more heinous shit and we have no issues with US based funding for anything. I can see the double standard argument.
Are we really comparing the US to a theocratic monarchy whose sponsorship of Wahhabism is responsible for a large part of fundamentalist terrorism worldwide? There's heaps of terrible stuff done by the US but one place is certainly more aligned with Australian values than the other.

Regarding PE in general, they're a bit of a necessary evil. Hard to un-ring that bell once you go in that direction and can lead to a downward spiral that ends with asset liquidation if not done right with the correct intentions. The best situation would be some benevolent billionaire that's fine with running a loss for a few years in the interest of the long term but I'm not holding my breath.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

It's only worth considering if it would actually keep the Rebels alive. If it brings in monetary support from world rugby and governments, while acting as a pathway for both PI AND Victorian/Australian players then maybe it could be viable.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
In the Australian last night :" It’s Rebel hell as rival clubs circle" and in part: "Soon after news surfaced that Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels was slipping into voluntary administration, French Top 14 and UK premiership rugby clubs were on the phones seeking to capitalise on the chaos by securing the signatures of star Wallabies on the Rebels’ books.
Props Taniela Tupou and Pone Fa’amausili, playmaker Carter Gordon and skipper Rob Leota are in the sights of overseas agents and clubs, while lock Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, who has not long returned from the English Premiership, has also attracted interest from Japanese clubs."

I can't blame those clubs and those players and I wish all the players all the best.

It's the administration I have a problem with (and for those who have been around a while, will know, always have). The Board and the CEO have driven our club into complete ruin, the Australian further reports that the debts are close to $12 million. What changed from the heady days of 13,000 at a game to 3,000 at a game? (Even Andrew Cox ran a pop up cocktail bar at Goshs paddock one game before the authorities closed it down and a chicken wing eating contest at half time!) Membership fell, attendance fell and viewings fell. Those things are what a good CEO and a good Board address, and that delivers robust finances. As an aside, Board member Owain Stone, the forensic accountant, is no longer listed as a partner at Korda Mentha.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
In the Australian last night :" It’s Rebel hell as rival clubs circle" and in part: "Soon after news surfaced that Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels was slipping into voluntary administration, French Top 14 and UK premiership rugby clubs were on the phones seeking to capitalise on the chaos by securing the signatures of star Wallabies on the Rebels’ books.
Props Taniela Tupou and Pone Fa’amausili, playmaker Carter Gordon and skipper Rob Leota are in the sights of overseas agents and clubs, while lock Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, who has not long returned from the English Premiership, has also attracted interest from Japanese clubs."

I can't blame those clubs and those players and I wish all the players all the best.

It's the administration I have a problem with (and for those who have been around a while, will know, always have). The Board and the CEO have driven our club into complete ruin, the Australian further reports that the debts are close to $12 million. What changed from the heady days of 13,000 at a game to 3,000 at a game? (Even Andrew Cox ran a pop up cocktail bar at Goshs paddock one game before the authorities closed it down and a chicken wing eating contest at half time!) Membership fell, attendance fell and viewings fell. Those things are what a good CEO and a good Board address, and that delivers robust finances. As an aside, Board member Owain Stone, the forensic accountant, is no longer listed as a partner at Korda Mentha.
1706820088825.png

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I "liked" this post because it is informing, not at all because it is pleasing. Fuck rugby is becoming hard to be enthusiastic about.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why not? Why does it matter that much where say half the players come from if they're living in and playing for your city/region and showing pride in the jersey etc? If you look at most of the biggest sports clubs in the world they don't have many locally produced players at all, and it doesn't affect their support.
A. Moana Pacifica are a basket case in their own right so there is no upside to the merge

B. It does little for Rugby in Vic, while that majority of players are from the Pacifica community, it then excludes anyone who isn’t

C. We already don’t play enough home games to grow the sport in Melbourne so when you lose one each to Samoa and Tonga then we are left with 4/5 home games

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

What changed is the Wallabies and Rebels have been shit that whole time.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Honestly, the whole thing is s...t

They are letting the Media kill the Rebels ... then they'll drop the Bri=umbies? Rebels merger. 3 games at each state.

I am pissed as next year there will be one less home game and they will probably up the fees for memerships

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
A. Moana Pacifica are a basket case in their own right so there is no upside to the merge

B. It does little for Rugby in Vic, while that majority of players are from the Pacifica community, it then excludes anyone who isn’t

C. We already don’t play enough home games to grow the sport in Melbourne so when you lose one each to Samoa and Tonga then we are left with 4/5 home games

Its better than no melbourne team at all