• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I met my wife at the pub before a rising game, so at least she understands as her first experience meeting me was as a drunk rugby supporter. Doubt she realized it would mean lots of late nights early mornings for me watching Munster and Ireland though.
I’m surprised my wife didn’t stop seeing me early in our relationship after coming to meet me ant the pub after a few Rebels games back in the early days.

HonestMax

Frank Row (1)
there’s a free to air tv deal you are totally ignoring.

The tv contract would have to be reworked
The FTA deal with Stan/9 isn’t worth much. 9 doesn’t promote the FTA games and hides them on Gem. Perhaps you’re right, but it wouldn’t be a big number let alone anything approaching the $10m that the Rebels apparently need to stay afloat.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congratulations to the Rebels on their win over the Tahs, yes I do realise that it was only a trial.
I believe they are well placed to have a top four finish in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific), why because they tick the same boxes as the successful teams at the RWC ticked.
In the lead up to the RWC it was often reported that the teams with the most international caps would go deepest in the competition, the Rebels have added a number of players with international experience, they welcome back Rob Leota and have a number of players that toured with the Wallabies to the World Cup, a big lift in their rugby IQ.
As demonstrated by the Springboks if you have a scrum that can dominate, you can dominate field position and the scoreboard. The two most valuable players in your match day squad are your tight head prop and the reserve tight head prop.
The Rebels have Tupou, Talakai and Pone, which will enable them to attack opposing scrums and to share the workload, especially important at the business end of the season when you are looking to freshen up players for the finals.
I can’t wait for their first couple of games.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Waratahs need to trial some more players - if they're not already injured.

Well played to the Rebels - AFR quotes the cost to RA to be 5mio for 2024 to keep them in Super Rugby [that's not dealing with any debts to ATO or Stadium Fees]. Therefore, one NRL player [over 3 years] = 1 Victorian Super Rugby Team [35 players?] per year - light touch paper and step away.....

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I met my wife at the pub before a rising game, so at least she understands as her first experience meeting me was as a drunk rugby supporter. Doubt she realized it would mean lots of late nights early mornings for me watching Munster and Ireland though.
My first date with my wife was to a football game, I offered to drive but she told me she would drive in case I wanted to have a few drinks.

She soon knew that watching sport and having a drink was part of the deal.

24 years later and still going strong.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Congratulations to the Rebels on their win over the Tahs, yes I do realise that it was only a trial.
I believe they are well placed to have a top four finish in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific), why because they tick the same boxes as the successful teams at the RWC ticked.
In the lead up to the RWC it was often reported that the teams with the most international caps would go deepest in the competition, the Rebels have added a number of players with international experience, they welcome back Rob Leota and have a number of players that toured with the Wallabies to the World Cup, a big lift in their rugby IQ.
As demonstrated by the Springboks if you have a scrum that can dominate, you can dominate field position and the scoreboard. The two most valuable players in your match day squad are your tight head prop and the reserve tight head prop.
The Rebels have Tupou, Talakai and Pone, which will enable them to attack opposing scrums and to share the workload, especially important at the business end of the season when you are looking to freshen up players for the finals.
I can’t wait for their first couple of games.
So you can gift Eloff to the Reds? :)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
My first date with my wife was to a football game, I offered to drive but she told me she would drive in case I wanted to have a few drinks.

She soon knew that watching sport and having a drink was part of the deal.

24 years later and still going strong.
Yep. She's a keeper