• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The Waratahs need to trial some more players - if they're not already injured.

Well played to the Rebels - AFR quotes the cost to RA to be 5mio for 2024 to keep them in Super Rugby [that's not dealing with any debts to ATO or Stadium Fees]. Therefore, one NRL player [over 3 years] = 1 Victorian Super Rugby Team [35 players?] per year - light touch paper and step away.....

This could very much be negotiated into an MCG rwc final, I know the OPT is a separate body to the MCC but the OPT is still falls under the vic govt.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This could very much be negotiated into an MCG rwc final, I know the OPT is a separate body to the MCC but the OPT is still falls under the vic govt.

is there any medium sized rectangular venues that the rebels could play at other then AAMI Park? Where do all the ALeague teams play… At AAMI as well??

the thing I liked about the NRC model is the game wasn’t hindered by playing in these big expensive state govt financed venues.

whe

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
is there any medium sized rectangular venues that the rebels could play at other then AAMI Park? Where do all the ALeague teams play… At AAMI as well??

the thing I liked about the NRC model is the game wasn’t hindered by playing in these big expensive state govt financed venues.

whe

Short answer no. I think the a league womens either play double headers or at club pitches. There is Albert Park but aths vic got moved there when the old Olympic park got knocked down & they share it with Sth Melb soccer club.

The deal all clubs get via OPT is actually a ripper deal, but obvs getting less than 5k isnt going to break even.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

whe

Melbourne is dominated by ovals. Rectangular grounds are typically heavily monopolized by Football/Soccer Clubs. If they have a grandstand, it typically seats less than 1000. Others will be so deep in suburbia that the lack of scalable parking or public transport links will render them non-scalable on a consistent basis, while others still will be politically impossible to secure due to existing tenants (e.g. South Melbourne Hellas and Athletics Victoria at Lakeside).

It'd be cool as someone now living in the North East to see the Rebels play at Olympic Park Heidelberg or Epping Stadium, but it's just not feasible with the Corporate and Broadcasting facilities required, even before you consider the other factors.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Melbourne is dominated by ovals. Rectangular grounds are typically heavily monopolized by Football/Soccer Clubs. If they have a grandstand, it typically seats less than 1000. Others will be so deep in suburbia that the lack of scalable parking or public transport links will render them non-scalable on a consistent basis, while others still will be politically impossible to secure due to existing tenants (e.g. South Melbourne Hellas and Athletics Victoria at Lakeside).

It'd be cool as someone now living in the North East to see the Rebels play at Olympic Park Heidelberg or Epping Stadium, but it's just not feasible with the Corporate and Broadcasting facilities required, even before you consider the other factors.
Will there be any stands out at La Trobe when that’s all done?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The deal all clubs get via OPT is actually a ripper deal, but obvs getting less than 5k isnt going to break even.

Disagree and I have no idea about the current deal… but owing 1 million for aami use (how long is that debt going back for)

these govts who build these facilities really need to make more favourable deals to host sports.

Up here in qld - it’s suppose to be 20000 fans before the qld roar turn a profit in the A-league.

Thats unfeasible because qld isn’t exactly known for its soccer!

if the Aussie battler is dealing with cost of living pressures. Then some of these fringe sporting clubs are feeling the pinch too.

I’d love to see the rebels take a couple of games regional if it meant less rent / more revenue moving away from AAMI

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Will there be any stands out at La Trobe when that’s all done?
The original documents in 2021/22 make mention of a small grandstand for Super W fixtures. I'd imagine that will mean 250-1000 which is probably appropriate for being located at an Educational Institution. Would almost certainly be enough for these preseason fixtures, but would share the same issue as 85% of suburban grounds.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Disagree and I have no idea about the current deal… but owing 1 million for aami use (how long is that debt going back for)

these govts who build these facilities really need to make more favourable deals to host sports.

Up here in qld - it’s suppose to be 20000 fans before the qld roar turn a profit in the A-league.

Thats unfeasible because qld isn’t exactly known for its soccer!

if the Aussie battler is dealing with cost of living pressures. Then some of these fringe sporting clubs are feeling the pinch too.

I’d love to see the rebels take a couple of games regional if it meant less rent / more revenue moving away from AAMI

The rebels arn't going to get a better stadium deal anywhere else, none of the good club grounds are fenced in & none have a small grandstand for seating. There is also not a single rectangular ground in regional victoria that could host a game. Gippsland was spose to be the comm games after an upgrade but thats not happening now

I'm guessing the debt goes back a few years & the OPT was getting drip fed payments.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The original documents in 2021/22 make mention of a small grandstand for Super W fixtures. I'd imagine that will mean 250-1000 which is probably appropriate for being located at an Educational Institution. Would almost certainly be enough for these preseason fixtures, but would share the same issue as 85% of suburban grounds.
If it had 1000 seat grandstand, it would have to be a lock for trails and club finals.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The only reason the trial wasn't at goschs is the storm had a day there
As a Pies fan I have spent a bit of time down there and it’s also shit.

If there is 1000 seat grandstand at La Trobe it should hold all the trail games.

Hopefully we have a club into the future so this can be a worry