• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Disappointing. He's a good lad, and has lots of potential as a pure 6. Presuming survival it's a workable loss: Maiava and Smith both look to be ever improving options at 6, and Australian Rugby has never struggled for backrowers, but it's getting more ominous.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Disappointing. He's a good lad, and has lots of potential as a pure 6. Presuming survival it's a workable loss: Maiava and Smith both look to be ever improving options at 6, and Australian Rugby has never struggled for backrowers, but it's getting more ominous.
Kemeny is a solid loss. Promising player on fringe of Wallabies. Wouldn't have cost much either.

Heart's going to be broken when we lose Canham to some Japanese 3rd tier side for a million dollars.

Hope Carter & the props stays in Aus.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Kemeny is a solid loss. Promising player on fringe of Wallabies. Wouldn't have cost much either.

Heart's going to be broken when we lose Canham to some Japanese 3rd tier side for a million dollars.

Canham missed out on Aus A caps didn't he? Don't know about his lineage but that'd make him very attractive to a lot of Unions.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Seems he very much chose overseas too, with the tahs and Rebels (even if they couldn't sign yet) interested in him.

For the others I think Carter is a much bigger risk of going overseas than Canham. He'll command good pay after the world cup and there are solid young fly halves at every Aus side now. Canham won't quite have a name yet and everyone is crying out for locks. Most of the props will probably go on big money too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
When you see how Scott-Young has been going for Northampton I can only think Kemeny will be a hit and potentially there for a while.

I'm not so sure Carter would be high on a lot of European Clubs lists yet. Noah is more that style being a controller. Japanese Rugby may come for Carter looking for Isaac Lucas type.

I can't see how it's not going to be one after another right now signing elsewhere. If your a senior player you want stability and if you're an up and comer another team won't get a better chance to steal you.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah I rate Kemeny a level above ASY (Angus Scott-Young), he'll go great at Northampton.

Canham is surely a massive OS target. Look at Hosea and Hockings. He's nearly at their level.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Given that he got press for showing Aaron Smith the level of respect he deserves, plus got a run in a few of the Barbarians games to my recollection, I'd imagine there would be at least some level of familiarity, even if they had to go back and watch some footage to confirm the little bits and pieces of his game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah I rate Kemeny a level above ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young), he'll go great at Northampton.

Canham is surely a massive OS target. Look at Hosea and Hockings. He's nearly at their level.
It's not so much that he's not an OS target, it's more that there will be much more appetite to sign him in Australia. There's not a team that wouldn't take him in their 23 next year and maybe only the Brumbies where he wouldn't walk into a starting jersey. Worth noting we only lost Hockings because the way he left meant no one else could sign him. Our lock stocks at home are probably more depleted now than they were then, and some of the overseas options have really slid down the pecking order.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah Canham is a great option for anyone. OS sides will sign on him on potential. If I'm the Tahs I want him paired up with Amatosero.

Swinton leaving and it would be an upgrade from Sinclair as hard as he works... The mid size guys don't get it done if you want to push up from middle table to top 3 who are really the only ones with a shot at winning.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's not so much that he's not an OS target, it's more that there will be much more appetite to sign him in Australia. There's not a team that wouldn't take him in their 23 next year and maybe only the Brumbies where he wouldn't walk into a starting jersey. Worth noting we only lost Hockings because the way he left meant no one else could sign him. Our lock stocks at home are probably more depleted now than they were then, and some of the overseas options have really slid down the pecking order.

I can't see many teams willing to afford him on the bench, at the Reds at least I'd be disappointed if he was starting (injury excluded).

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kemeny is a good player but not a huge loss. Maiava and Smith could come in to cover him. Leota could also play 6 allowing Ekuasi to start at 8. Hopefully Talataina is good to go next year and potentially earns a spot off the bench

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd take him over Blyth, Cormac, Smith

At the real cost on the bench? The bloke is a great player, all I'm saying is that isn't enough necessarily to walk into any team - especially when you consider spending and time spent developing player squads which may or may not leave room.

What is needed is for a team in Melbourne to continue with more or less the same Melbourne squad.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also going to claim that without the Rebels, Jacob Elordi would've never made it big, without playing rep rugby for VIC he wouldn't have that discipline and rugby good looks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also going to claim that without the Rebels, Jacob Elordi would've never made it big, without playing rep rugby for VIC he wouldn't have that discipline and rugby good looks.

Was it that background that provided him with the good character to choke out a Kyle & Jackie O producer?

If so, then we need to do what we can to support the Rebels.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don’t know the law specifically , but as far as I know in VA there are only two options 1 declaring bankruptcy, getting wound up and selling off the assets to pay the creditors or 2 attempting to trade out of the situation . The Rebels have $17 K and two second hand vehicles plus some office gear and gym stuff ( neither. Of which they may actually own) so no joy for creditors under scenario #1, the ATO will presumably chase the directors for their slice of the pie. Under the second scenario the debt will be bigger in 6 months than now, so I’m not sure PWC are allowed to do that with no realistic way to convert the rebels into a profitable business. Despite RAs assurances it is not certain there will be a Rebels this year unless RA guarantees the current and future creditors (sans ATO) will be paid. All Waugh has said is the players will be paid.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don’t know the law specifically , but as far as I know in VA there are only two options 1 declaring bankruptcy, getting wound up and selling off the assets to pay the creditors or 2 attempting to trade out of the situation . The Rebels have $17 K and two second hand vehicles plus some office gear and gym stuff ( neither. Of which they may actually own) so no joy for creditors under scenario #1, the ATO will presumably chase the directors for their slice of the pie. Under the second scenario the debt will be bigger in 6 months than now, so I’m not sure PWC are allowed to do that with no realistic way to convert the rebels into a profitable business. Despite RAs assurances it is not certain there will be a Rebels this year unless RA guarantees the current and future creditors (sans ATO) will be paid. All Waugh has said is the players will be paid.
A grim future btw I assume the directors will have all assets in trusts so they will declare bankruptcy and that will be that