• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t know the law specifically , but as far as I know in VA there are only two options 1 declaring bankruptcy, getting wound up and selling off the assets to pay the creditors or 2 attempting to trade out of the situation . The Rebels have $17 K and two second hand vehicles plus some office gear and gym stuff ( neither. Of which they may actually own) so no joy for creditors under scenario #1, the ATO will presumably chase the directors for their slice of the pie. Under the second scenario the debt will be bigger in 6 months than now, so I’m not sure PWC are allowed to do that with no realistic way to convert the rebels into a profitable business. Despite RAs assurances it is not certain there will be a Rebels this year unless RA guarantees the current and future creditors (sans ATO) will be paid. All Waugh has said is the players will be paid.
Rugby Australia own the Rebels license now. They have also taken control of all the player and staff’s contracts

So if Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union Pty limited is liquidated it shouldn’t affect them playing this year.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rugby Australia own the Rebels license now. They have also taken control of all the player and staff’s contracts

So if Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union Pty limited is liquidated it shouldn’t affect them playing this year.
OK, so RA will have to fund the stadium, etc, etc.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
The licence thing is a bit unusual to me. I know the Rebels state on their website that: "The Melbourne Rebels have entered voluntary administration and have handed their license to Rugby Australia." This is inconsistent with RA statements such as "As a result, RA will now work with the appointed administrator to ensure the Melbourne Rebels take the field for the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific and Super Rugby Women’s competitions."

I'm interested how a company in administration, or immediately prior to entering administration, can hand its only real asset to another party - that doesn't seem like a move that wouldn't be clawed back, assuming the licence is transferrable. I'm not a lawyer but in my experience with construction insolvencies we were prevented from taking action to cancel contracts, etc, once an insolvency event occurred due to legislation that came in around 2018.

I suspect RA are guaranteeing the Rebels to keep them trading for the season under the existing entity.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Welp, we fucked. Coaches have been given 4 month contracts to see out the season. CEO has been made redundant as well as heap of non-coaching staff.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Asked whether the Rebels’ plight will place a cloud over the Super Round in Melbourne, Waugh said: “We’re working through that process. I think it’s exciting. You’ve got six games in one of the greatest sporting markets in the world.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...allabies-healing-process-20240214-p5f4uw.html

And as we heard from Trevor (Waugh was referring to Rob Leota), the captain of the Rebels up there, it’s an exciting and a huge opportunity for the locals to come out and support rugby and see some of the best players in the world.”

Good work dipshit. Bet he can't wait to shrink to greatness.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Asked whether the Rebels’ plight will place a cloud over the Super Round in Melbourne, Waugh said: “We’re working through that process. I think it’s exciting. You’ve got six games in one of the greatest sporting markets in the world.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...allabies-healing-process-20240214-p5f4uw.html

And as we heard from Trevor (Waugh was referring to Rob Leota), the captain of the Rebels up there, it’s an exciting and a huge opportunity for the locals to come out and support rugby and see some of the best players in the world.”

Good work dipshit. Bet he can't wait to shrink to greatness.
That article you linked is about a meeting with Joe Schmidt and the captains. This is the Waugh/Rebels one:

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
"In response to recent negative media coverage originating out of Sydney, the Melbourne Rebels wishes to address the speculations and set the record straight. Despite the unfounded speculation circulating in the media, we want to assure our supporters, stakeholders, and the wider community that the Melbourne Rebels’ future is extremely bright." Sorry, that was Stephenson in December. I guess the record has been set straight now the club is in VA and the 'unfounded' speculation has been proven true.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
“We’re working through that process. I think it’s exciting. You’ve got six games in one of the greatest sporting markets in the world.

I'm starting to intensely dislike that term "exciting". At least the way it is used and overused in rugby.

Edit: @Reg, you're confused. Waugh starts a response to whether the Rebels plights will cast a cloud over Super Round in Melbourne (which it will, surely) and responds with it is "exciting". Under the planned circumstances I'd agree, in Melbourne in 2024 it seems a silly emotion to lead with.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The licence thing is a bit unusual to me. I know the Rebels state on their website that: "The Melbourne Rebels have entered voluntary administration and have handed their license to Rugby Australia." This is inconsistent with RA statements such as "As a result, RA will now work with the appointed administrator to ensure the Melbourne Rebels take the field for the 2024 Super Rugby Pacific and Super Rugby Women’s competitions."

I'm interested how a company in administration, or immediately prior to entering administration, can hand its only real asset to another party - that doesn't seem like a move that wouldn't be clawed back, assuming the licence is transferrable. I'm not a lawyer but in my experience with construction insolvencies we were prevented from taking action to cancel contracts, etc, once an insolvency event occurred due to legislation that came in around 2018.

I suspect RA are guaranteeing the Rebels to keep them trading for the season under the existing entity.

yeah I’m finding that part a bit strange as well, and agree it’s more likely some kind of guarantee arrangement instead

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
It is now very interesting that the esteemed Mr North's tactics against the Western Force in 2017 may have come back to bite the Rebels.

His argument at the time:

"It also should be noted, with respect to the position as at the date upon which the announcement was made, that a decision had been put forward—that was on 10 April 2017—that there were in fact not five Super Rugby licensees in Australia but four Super Rugby licensees.

The fifth member was a team by the name of Western Force, and it was owned and controlled, amongst other professional rugby assets, by the Australian Rugby Union and was therefore under the control of the Australian Rugby Union board. That asset was held by the board for the benefit of all of the members of the Australian Rugby Union."

So now that Rugby Australia has the Rebels licence they can do what they deem most beneficial?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Welp, we fucked. Coaches have been given 4 month contracts to see out the season. CEO has been made redundant as well as heap of non-coaching staff.
I'm hoping this is just recognizing that coaches for next year will be contracted directly by RA under a centralized model. All new contracts once redundant?

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
yeah I’m finding that part a bit strange as well, and agree it’s more likely some kind of guarantee arrangement instead
Any active insolvency including VA voids the license - they had to give it back at that point (my understanding)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure why people are viewing the 4mo contracts as a death knell - it would be extremely unusual to offer anything longer given the circumstances and level of uncertainty
I think it was already going to take something extremely unusual to save the rebels beyond this year, so anything that goes as expected is another nail in the coffin.

Either way its going to make success this season a hell of lot harder, and that won't help the club's chances of survival.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dear
I just wanted to send a quick note to express my sincere gratitude and thanks to everyone at the Melbourne Rebels Club and broader Victorian Rugby Community as unfortunately, my time at the Melbourne Rebels has come to an end.

I have had the great privilege to work at a Club that I love, which has always been so passionate, driven, and resilient. When I arrived in Melbourne, I was blown away by how welcoming the rugby family was to both me and my family.

I can’t quite believe it has been a 10-year journey and I will leave with many treasured memories. I have met some amazing people, had many brilliant experiences, developed some lifelong friends, and learnt so much about the community, the game and myself during this time.

The Melbourne Rebels journey hasn’t always been an easy one. I love the saying ‘Do hard things with people you respect,’ because I have been so fortunate to roll the sleeves up with some unbelievable staff, players, board members, partners, members, and volunteers who care deeply about the Club and are genuinely committed to changing people’s lives through rugby.

I will miss the people, banter and connection, however; I can’t wait to see Rob Leota lead the Rebels Super Rugby Pacific team out as Captain in 2024, watch the Rebels Super Rugby Women's team play with power and passion, observing a packed changeroom with family and friends for many victory songs, seeing the game grow and most importantly plenty of smiles and a sense of pride for everyone involved in our special game here in Victoria.

Best Regards,
Baden Stephenson | Chief Executive Officer
Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unsure why everyone is panicking about the staff being put under 4 month deals - whole scenario says to me that RA will see the Rebels ship sink and with it the debt. Rebrand under a new name as the RA Rebels and keep all under contract Rebels for 2025 and reappoint coaches as they see fit. Then they have an unencumbered franchise under their control, with the announcement of future commitments to Rugby in Victoria with the government announcing events like the World Cup final and Super Round (if this year is successful) to inject cash flow into the franchise.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dear
I just wanted to send a quick note to express my sincere gratitude and thanks to everyone at the Melbourne Rebels Club and broader Victorian Rugby Community as unfortunately, my time at the Melbourne Rebels has come to an end.

I have had the great privilege to work at a Club that I love, which has always been so passionate, driven, and resilient. When I arrived in Melbourne, I was blown away by how welcoming the rugby family was to both me and my family.

I can’t quite believe it has been a 10-year journey and I will leave with many treasured memories. I have met some amazing people, had many brilliant experiences, developed some lifelong friends, and learnt so much about the community, the game and myself during this time.

The Melbourne Rebels journey hasn’t always been an easy one. I love the saying ‘Do hard things with people you respect,’ because I have been so fortunate to roll the sleeves up with some unbelievable staff, players, board members, partners, members, and volunteers who care deeply about the Club and are genuinely committed to changing people’s lives through rugby.

I will miss the people, banter and connection, however; I can’t wait to see Rob Leota lead the Rebels Super Rugby Pacific team out as Captain in 2024, watch the Rebels Super Rugby Women's team play with power and passion, observing a packed changeroom with family and friends for many victory songs, seeing the game grow and most importantly plenty of smiles and a sense of pride for everyone involved in our special game here in Victoria.

Best Regards,
Baden Stephenson | Chief Executive Officer
Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union
Thanks Baden. Remember to buy your tickets at Ticketek and we'll see you at the game

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Unsure why everyone is panicking about the staff being put under 4 month deals - whole scenario says to me that RA will see the Rebels ship sink and with it the debt. Rebrand under a new name as the RA Rebels and keep all under contract Rebels for 2025 and reappoint coaches as they see fit. Then they have an unencumbered franchise under their control, with the announcement of future commitments to Rugby in Victoria with the government announcing events like the World Cup final and Super Round (if this year is successful) to inject cash flow into the franchise.
Think this is the likely outcome too. VicGov with the $50mil offer will help clear the debts and help set up the reborn franchise. VicGov would likely include some type of clause to keep a pro team remain in Vic.

At least that’s the optimist in me talking.