• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure if this is right, but mate over in Aus says he still unable to buy tickets to opening game next week? Says he just gone on waiting list.
And does anyone know if it true that the extra 8 mill NZR has put in out of the tv deal has n

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if this is right, but mate over in Aus says he still unable to buy tickets to opening game next week? Says he just gone on waiting list.
And does anyone know if it true that the extra 8 mill NZR has put in out of the tv deal has n

The Rebels are still unable to sell tickets for their home games at AAMI Park...

Super Round is run by a third party so is not affected.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep realised that about super round (though I think this balls up will effect ticket sales to that somehow)., but huge concern no tickets for next week, That's cutting it real fine.
Still I already got my tickets for their game against Canes in late March, so I hope like hell they can afford the air tickets!!!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The 8m the NZRU gave to RA to reinstate the 1.7m funding cut never made it to the clubs.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yep realised that about super round (though I think this balls up will effect ticket sales to that somehow)., but huge concern no tickets for next week, That's cutting it real fine.
Still I already got my tickets for their game against Canes in late March, so I hope like hell they can afford the air tickets!!!

RA have not yet finalised a deal with Olympic Park Trust (Vic govt.) You'd think this would be the 1st thing they do after sorting out the players/staff

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The 8m the NZRU gave to RA to reinstate the 1.7m funding cut never made it to the clubs.
Mate, as was highlighted to you several pages back, the first quarter of the money probably hasn't even made it to RA yet......

Are getting, they haven't necessarily received any of it yet. The money is paid in quarterly instalments, starting this year but with the first payment not due until the end of March. While I agree the bulk of that money should flow through to the super sides it has nothing to do with the Rebels current debt.

“The Joint Venture parties agreed that the revenue share model for the completion for 2024 and 2025 is received from the host broadcasters which included additional payments to RA which are as follows;
“2024: NZD $8.75 million paid in quarterly instalments by 31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December 2024; and
“2025: NZD $8.75 million paid in quarterly instalments by 31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December 2025.”

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Lots of fear being spread about the administration of the Rebels, and in turn lack of support from RA. Most of it clickbait BS.

Relax, clam down, RA have 12 months to sell the licence, it can be done, if buyers can be convinced rugby has a future in Australia.

Example from the Western Australian today, Perth Glory in administration for the last few months, appear to have found a buyer, deal is said to be signed tonight.

Everyone settle down, let a sale process begin, this is a business test for the new boys in charge now. By no means the end of the world, and has happen in Australia to Basketball and Football teams, not to mention the mergers required in League.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
RA have not yet finalised a deal with Olympic Park Trust (Vic govt.) You'd think this would be the 1st thing they do after sorting out the players/staff
Can’t imagine working out a deal would be that hard. Just say keep everything the same except we RA pay. They don’t need to reinvent the wheel

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Lots of fear being spread about the administration of the Rebels, and in turn lack of support from RA. Most of it clickbait BS.

Relax, clam down, RA have 12 months to sell the licence, it can be done, if buyers can be convinced rugby has a future in Australia.

Example from the Western Australian today, Perth Glory in administration for the last few months, appear to have found a buyer, deal is said to be signed tonight.

Everyone settle down, let a sale process begin, this is a business test for the new boys in charge now. By no means the end of the world, and has happen in Australia to Basketball and Football teams, not to mention the mergers required in League.
The difference between the other codes and rugby Union is the business model that the Melbourne Rebels operate under. the competition stucture they play limits the ability to generate outside interest to invest.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The difference between the other codes and rugby Union is the business model that the Melbourne Rebels operate under. the competition structure they play limits the ability to generate outside interest to invest.
Very true, however not impossible. Look outside the triangle, I would be looking at poaching someone from Australian Basketball they have made huge inroads over the last two to three years, and they too have a short season due to US player commitments.

I have called for a US based franchise based structure for decades, maybe our WA mate could do it.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
They need certainty for broadcasters, and to avoid the club having no players or staff well before 12 months. Also there’s that second part of the sentence of yours I quoted…

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was talking to mate from Aussie (talk most weeks) and I had said last year I had a feeling the RA was looking to cut a team last year. Just the talk went from "we will always have 5 teams" to "if we have to cut a team". And get feeling that what has happened may just fit into plans? I am not a fan of losing Rebels or any Aussie team, but was just feeling it was worked out some time ago. Maybe the clubs will get their !.7m now?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I was talking to mate from Aussie (talk most weeks) and I had said last year I had a feeling the RA was looking to cut a team last year. Just the talk went from "we will always have 5 teams" to "if we have to cut a team". And get feeling that what has happened may just fit into plans? I am not a fan of losing Rebels or any Aussie team, but was just feeling it was worked out some time ago. Maybe the clubs will get their !.7m now?
Maybe he has been reading your posts

half

Alan Cameron (40)
They need certainty for broadcasters, and to avoid the club having no players or staff well before 12 months. Also there’s that second part of the sentence of yours I quoted…
The second part is the tricky bit, can buyers be convinced rugby has a future i Australia. The answer is certainty """Yes""" if the right systems are in place. A lot will depend on obtaining a new media deal.

As I posted a lot to test the skill set of the new boys in charge.

Its an unpopular opinion, and even more unpopular example, but many many many moons ago in the US the MLS was at best six months from folding. The MLS appointed a up and comer from Gridiron, he turned them around made some huge calls and today is still in charge and the MLS is exploding with growth going thu the roof.

Maybe RA should appoint a raising star in AFL to be the boss.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The second part is the tricky bit, can buyers be convinced rugby has a future i Australia. The answer is certainty """Yes""" if the right systems are in place. A lot will depend on obtaining a new media deal.

As I posted a lot to test the skill set of the new boys in charge.

Its an unpopular opinion, and even more unpopular example, but many many many moons ago in the US the MLS was at best six months from folding. The MLS appointed a up and comer from Gridiron, he turned them around made some huge calls and today is still in charge and the MLS is exploding with growth going thu the roof.

Said this multiple times. They should call Brendon Gale. Richmond was a basket case, broke uncompetitive. He made the audacious call that they would be debt free, win 3 flags and hit 100k memberships within 10 years of him taking over and they did all three things

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

This is some apple to oranges comparison dragging the “world game” and the upside of the America media honeypot compared to Australia small media landscape where our code is 4th on the rung in terms of footy popularity.

Unless Rupert Murdoch is walking thru the door saying he wants to do a rugby super competition (again) then the tv money sweetened pot is firmly in the hands of “jobs for the boys” Phil Waugh and Herbie. (We are doomed)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I would agree that RA paying for the existing BAU is a route to disaster if we continue. Would be interesting where the expenses above and beyond other sides would exist under different management.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Relax, clam down, RA have 12 months to sell the licence,

Where was this said?

My understanding is they took the license back in order to centralise. I wouldn't have thought they were even looking to try and sell it.

If the Rebels exist in 2025 - it will be on similar terms of 2024 - A RA owned, financed and controlled team.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe he has been reading your posts
Don't actually know anyone who comes into forums mate, he like a lot of mates is too busy helping actually doing something to keep rugby alive at club level etc . not just talking about it. ;)
And if you read the post and understand the difference between me saying what I thought and reading posts wold help.:p