• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Absolutely disgusting, they talked about playing with pride and playing for the city. Tonight’s performance was disgraceful. Absolutely pathetic how about some heart? How about showing you care for the jersey you play in.

As a Rebels member I have seen a lot of losses but I have never been left feeling embarrassed like I was today

Fuck me I drank 20 over priced mid strength’s and ate the dog shit food they serve there and could have still thrown a line out better than either of the Rebels hookers. It shows where Aus Rugby is at that Uelese can make a national squad, his line out throwing is like a broken clock as he only gets it right twice a day. No different to his days in the junior Wallabies. We talk about coaching but what about accountability for the players? You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. If they don’t have the level of professionalism or the pride in their own performance to get those basics right get rid of them.
And their number 8 outran our winger to score a try!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I felt the game plan wasn’t all that bad. It was the unforced errors, the ill discipline and the line out throwing.

If dropping to 14 and playing uncontested meant the line outs were also uncontested as well I’d play with 14 next week over picking Mafi or Uelese

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
5000 at Rebels tonight (which is ok given tix were only available Mon), and 8000 at Force?

These numbers are similar to the smaller English Clubs which have small grounds. The OZ franchises will have to reduce their cost base to sustain at these crowd levels.
After how insipid that performance was they will be lucky to get 500 next week. Why should the fans care when the players so evidently don’t?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
A smaller suburban ground would be fine for us, tbh.

The Victory had similar issues in the A-League. Started at the old Olympic Park then moved to Marvel (55k capacity) with a groundswell of support. A few lean years and smaller crowds made the fan experience in the half full stadium pretty average.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Anyway, can't see fans giving up a Friday evening to watch us get flogged again and again and again.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can you explain (briefly) what Super Rugby round means? Was this round last night not part of Super Rugby?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Perfect chance Rebel man to win new fans.
Fans aren’t going to change teams though.

Put it like this I love the AFL and my Pies.

Hypothetically if there were 5 NZ teams in the AFL and I moved there I would still support the Pies no matter what and my kids would be Pies fans. Where as again hypothetically if they had a league of their own I’d have no issue adopting my local side and buying a membership.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree. Thought it was better than expected and a bit of crowd scattered throughout.

Wonder if the Rebels would lean into a Us v Them attitude and drive some ticket sales. I know you don’t want to cause trouble or seem like they’re agitating but people get into that.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the players probably deserve a break here. You can attribute the loss to a lot of things but i doubt not caring is one of them.
Mate they had to do better unforced error after unforced error. The work rate was poor, it’s one thing getting beaten but when the other team out works you it’s a bad reflection on the players

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels 2024 seems like Rebels 2011 - 2023 rinse and repeat, thats what pisses me off the most. The same issues season after season, go back and look at the previous years match/Rebels pages on these forii, exactly the same complaints from fans, save for the odd few games here and there. Frustrating and disappointing. i think the available talent has been wasted over the years, which as others have pointed out is a coaching/management issue, it has never been satisfactorily resolved. i did have higher hopes with this years group of assistants. Ah weel, only a few more games to endure.