• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"Be sure to renew your membership in 2025"

I know it's cut and paste text but my god, buncha clowns.
They're absolutely taking the piss aren't they.

Frequently Asked Questions

"How many tickets can I buy?"

Hate to brag but we've got TWO fucking cars!

"When does this pre-sale end?"

When does anything end. Really.

"Can I buy tickets to any other matches of The Lions Series in this pre-sale?"

Fuck no. Just buy dozens of tickets to see the Rebels then us board member pricks will shut the team down overnight and run off with 8 million dollars LOL get fucked no more questions.

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
had an outsiders go at an Alltime Melbourne Rebels XV.

had some great players on their books a lot of whom never really achieved much for the team

1 Jermaine Ainsley lol
2 Adam Freier wut
3 Greg Somerville ffs
4 Luke Jones
5 Matt Philip
6 Sean McMahon
7 Jordy Reid
8 Scott Higginbotham
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Matt To'omua
13 Stirling Mortlock
14 James O'Connor
15 Kurtley Beale
Should be renamed Melbourne Mercenaries.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Should be renamed Melbourne Mercenaries.

200w.gif

fish59

Frank Nicholson (4)
Looks like Rebels/Force are selling (via Ticketmaster) but the others aren't yet on sale (via Ticketek). Reds originally said tickets would go on sale to members in Q1 2024 for the tour game and early 2025 foe the test
Reds tickets were on sale this morning

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
let me explain - RA take over Rebels, close down Rebels, replace with Melbourne Pasifika, pathways for this new Super Rugby partnership

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
RA basically gets a govt funded rugby team in Melbourne. Australia shores up another area in case China flexes its muscles. problem solved. ( apart from the massive collateral damage it has caused along the way)..

Wilson

David Codey (61)
RA basically gets a govt funded rugby team in Melbourne. Australia shores up another area in case China flexes its muscles. problem solved. ( apart from the massive collateral damage it has caused along the way)..
It's a nice thought but I'm not sure the Aus Government funding would've been there for Melbourne Pasifika, the vast majority of it has been directed to teams based on island, which is the whole point of the exercise. Otherwise there would be a lot more talk about Aus government funding for Moana Pasifika, instead of just Fiji Drua.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
It's a nice thought but I'm not sure the Aus Government funding would've been there for Melbourne Pasifika, the vast majority of it has been directed to teams based on island, which is the whole point of the exercise. Otherwise there would be a lot more talk about Aus government funding for Moana Pasifika, instead of just Fiji Drua.

60% of Rugby Union participants in Vic are of Pasifika hertitage so making that connection makes total sense, maybe one or two on island throughout the year. Hence, RAs continued underfunding of the Rebels hastens their closure.

The spanner in the works is, if the Rebels can prove RA had ulterior motives, the Judge might rule RA have acted maliciously and have to pay their commitments - I expect Tim North with be getting into the detail of this deal.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
60% of Rugby Union participants in Vic are of Pasifika hertitage so making that connection makes total sense, maybe one or two on island throughout the year. Hence, RAs continued underfunding of the Rebels hastens their closure.

The spanner in the works is, if the Rebels can prove RA had ulterior motives, the Judge might rule RA have acted maliciously and have to pay their commitments - I expect Tim North with be getting into the detail of this deal.
I was specifically speaking about the Australian Government funding there, not whether or not a Pasifika team in Melbourne makes sense. Given that government funding has overwhelmingly been directed to on island initiatives so far, and (as far as I'm aware) they don't already fund Moana Pasifika, it's unlikely the Australian Government would turn around and fund Melbourne Pasifika under the PacificAus program.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Thats a pretty big reach. The money isn't going to fund a team in Melbourne....
I agree the money is not going to be coming anywhere near Melbourne I would suspect. However, as Rugby Australia are heavily involved in this funding strategy major questions will be asked on how they can help fund the Pacific Islands when they have been shown to at least be partially responsible for the underfunding of the Rebels.
How does Rugby Australia explain their actively pushing Rugby expansion in another country when they won't even commit to supporting the existing Rugby structures within Australia?
This just screams that Rugby Australia has already decided to shrink to greatness again and is too myopic to see what the impact will be outside of Moore Park. If they had any interest in securing Melbourne's future they would be talking to the Government about funding here not in the Pacific Islands. They think getting rid of a club means larger shares of the pie for the remaining sides but fail to understand that the pie is going to shrink by more than the amount saved. If you don't think cutting the Victorian market out of the broadcasting deal won't severely cut the amount being offered I don't think you are living in the real world.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I agree the money is not going to be coming anywhere near Melbourne I would suspect. However, as Rugby Australia are heavily involved in this funding strategy major questions will be asked on how they can help fund the Pacific Islands when they have been shown to at least be partially responsible for the underfunding of the Rebels.
How does Rugby Australia explain their actively pushing Rugby expansion in another country when they won't even commit to supporting the existing Rugby structures within Australia?
This just screams that Rugby Australia has already decided to shrink to greatness again and is too myopic to see what the impact will be outside of Moore Park. If they had any interest in securing Melbourne's future they would be talking to the Government about funding here not in the Pacific Islands. They think getting rid of a club means larger shares of the pie for the remaining sides but fail to understand that the pie is going to shrink by more than the amount saved. If you don't think cutting the Victorian market out of the broadcasting deal won't severely cut the amount being offered I don't think you are living in the real world.
This is money the government had ear marked for Rugby that has been sent to the Pacific, it's money earmarked for the Pacific that is getting there via rugby. Rugby Australia's involvement looks to be largely in a service delivery capacity - hosting tournaments, providing opposition, staff training and sharing knowledge and expertise. Nothing about this involvement with the Pacific is about cutting the Rebels, nor is it taking away money that could have gone to them. If anything this is a positive for Rugby Australia's bottom line that puts them in a (slightly) better position to support the Rebels

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The mental gymnastics in this thread is extraordinary... This money is a mechanism for the government to carry goodwill to the Pacific and using rugby as the mechanism to do this. This money isn't about rugby and is about geo political favor.

As far as I've read and know, RA has been talking with the Rebels and the Victorian Government (it's a state team) and trying to find a solution to saving the Rebels.

No matter if RA underfunded or Rebels overspent, money was spent which the Rebels didn't have, and a 20 million bill has been racked up. It should never have got that far where they had nothing left before raising the alarm bells.

Bagging the Pacific Island fund, saying it's a slit at the Rebels or is going to put a Pacific team in Melbourne, is just untrue and has nothing to do with Melbourne or any Australian team and all to do with the government.