• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rebels have 17K in the bank, the cost of going to court for a few days is expensive, the lawyers are working pro bono.

Normally lawyers don't work pro bono unless they see a better than average chance of winning.
Not really. No win no pay maybe.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Out of all this it's wild that the Rebels weren't the first team to go to Rugby Australia and seek to be brought under the Rugby Australia centralization model.

"Yeah we love the idea mate. No, don't look in that book. Nothing to see there"

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The number does vary a bit, but the theme is consistent.

Annual reports here

I’ve seen the older versions, I’m asking for the 2023 annual report that you said was evidence of the $6million debt, where did you see that?

At the moment there is no cite-able source to the figure, just some commentary from journalists whose numbers ‘vary a bit’.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wilkin out for 10 weeks with a grade 3 hamstring injury. Might need a bit of luck to make it back on the field before the end of the season:

Is Hough also injured for a while? Rebels might be playing big backrows without a fetcher for the rest of the season.
fuck me, with Hardwick off that's a huge blow. We already struggled at retaining our ball against Brumbies with Wilkin actually playing. Normally I'd expect to see a medical joker but with our budget I expect to see Stiles pull on a jersey.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
fuck me, with Hardwick off that's a huge blow. We already struggled at retaining our ball against Brumbies with Wilkin actually playing. Normally I'd expect to see a medical joker but with our budget I expect to see Stiles pull on a jersey.
Yeah, I thought the lack of on ball presence was a big part of the problem in the first half vs the force too. No threat at their rucks meant the could get good quick ruck ball to attack with and the extra bodies in the rebels line didn't really help when guys like Potter, Tiatia and Burey bought their pace to bear.

Just remembered, I think they might have Kohan Herbert from Souths down there in ets/train and trial. He's a very good option to step into that role.

Otherwise it might be trying to trade Lancaster for Hooper with the 7s, but that's only going to happen if Hooper sees his 7s dream as well and truly over

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If Wilkin is injured and because Zac Hough has a acl injury (so I’ve heard) Kohan Herbert is the next man up.

actually a left field pick for open side flanker who I reckon would kill it in the 7 jersey - Ethan Dobbins.

He is a great pilfer of the rugby ball.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If Wilkin is injured and because Zac Hough has a acl injury (so I’ve heard) Kohan Herbert is the next man up.

actually a left field pick for open side flanker who I reckon would kill it in the 7 jersey - Ethan Dobbins.

He is a great pilfer of the rugby ball.
I did think about Dobbins before I remembered Hebert was there. Not sure he has the pace in his game to play as a starting super rugby 7, but it would be a way to get a decent lineout thrower on while still using Uelese's bulk and scrummaging. Depends on whether Mafi is dropped or injured though, it's not really an option if he's out injured.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That’s what I was thinking too about dobbins #7 and lineout throwing.

there’s many cases in club rugby I’ve seen thru out the years where you see hookers move to open side flanker or vice versa and be interchangeable - I’ve just never seen it at the pro rugby level.

I think dobbins does have above average speed as he has scored some great tries in run of play at wests - but it is the next level up - so kohan does feel like the safer pick

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

there’s many cases in club rugby I’ve seen thru out the years where you see hookers move to open side flanker or vice versa and be interchangeable - I’ve just never seen it at the pro rugby level.

I think dobbins does have above average speed as he has scored some great tries in run of play at wests - but it is the next level up - so kohan does feel like the safer pick
Dobbins is #16 this week, we'll see if Kevin plays any silly buggers with it. Deon Fourie has done it!

I'd almost rather Dobbins starts at #2 so we have the presence earlier on in the game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

He does have a bit of a turn of pace when he needs it, but it's probably more the consistent pace for repeated rucks efforts and ability to maintain it across at least 60 minutes that I think he might be lacking, particularly as a player fresh to super rugby. If he had a couple of years experience under his belt I'd have a lot more faith in him covering an unfamiliar position.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
We've been awfully quiet considering our lofty status, tough 3 weeks but let's go

Beat the Reds - they'll be on a come down - Tupou to destroy the pack.

A bonus point loss to the Cane's - try scoring and with in 6 points.

Tah's shown up as a flash in the pan, Gordon to show this young pretender Edmed how it's done

Go Rebels

:)
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 19.42.21.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Any news on Leafi? Is he still kicking around? I would’ve expected him in a team by now.

edit:

just remembered he had major surgery didn’t he.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Any news on Leafi? Is he still kicking around? I would’ve expected him in a team by now.

edit:

just remembered he had major surgery didn’t he.

Yep. Looks like a Shoulder from his socials. I'd say most of the season if not all. I'd expect he'd return through the Eagles.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Andrew Kellaway has joined Super Sefa (Sefanaia Naivalu) in equal 5th on the Rebels all time try scoring list with 16 tries. He went past Scott Higginbotham (15 tries).