• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Assume he's on a Wallaby top-up, so I would be very surprised if he's not.
I'd be pretty surprised if Daugunu was still on a wallaby top up - he was for his last contract with the Reds but hasn't been selected for the Wallabies since the end of 2021. In that time guys like Kellaway, Vunivalu and Nawaqanitawase have all emerged ahead of him as wing options for the Wallabies, with plenty more young talent coming through. Hard to see how that would've merited a top up in the middle of 2023 when he still wasn't getting a look in.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't even understand how it's possible? I thought RA have guaranteed their payments?
Third party payments is one way, like @Adam84 mentioned. For example, if one of the now collapsed BRC capital sponsors of the Rebels was to pay him something that would be gone. If there were any salary cap shenanigans that could be another - RA wouldn't have guaranteed any payments outside the cap.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well if it's 3rd party he needs to say something, if it's RA are late but everyone else still played. I know who has my back on the field and who doesn't. Also would not be a good look for any clubs that are taking interest, no one player is bigger then a team. If you were a French or Japanese club looking at signing him, you would be thinking twice now.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We don’t know what sort of finance pressure he could be under either. I’ve known people who became physically ill with the stress of financial issues. He may have been in no state to play.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well if it's 3rd party he needs to say something, if it's RA are late but everyone else still played. I know who has my back on the field and who doesn't. Also would not be a good look for any clubs that are taking interest, no one player is bigger then a team. If you were a French or Japanese club looking at signing him, you would be thinking twice now.

Are you going to hold the same stance if more Rebels players stand down? What if Kellaway decides to pack up shop next weekend because his full pay cheque isn’t in the mail?

Seems a really strange hill to die on here and just keep rubbishing a player without any facts.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Anyone heard scuttlebutt about Daugunu not being paid? Bit of gossip on one of the facebook fan pages.

had it confirmed by a few well-informed blokes at Club training tonight.

how the actual fuck did we get to this point? As many have said, player payments guaranteed for 2024?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
had it confirmed by a few well-informed blokes at Club training tonight.

how the actual fuck did we get to this point? As many have said, player payments guaranteed for 2024?

Are RA covering that or has the recent stay of execution ruling meant its still with VRU/Rebels?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
NFI mate. Let’s.see what happens at the RA and MRRU meeting tomorrow.

as an aside the RugbyVic AGM is on tomorrow. Expectation it will be very spicy affair, given the current shit sandwich down here in vic.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I love the idea tbh. Hard to see it happen as he gets older. The weight tends to become more locked in. To do it without injury would need a season of training.
Rebels don't need another big body in the backrow, particularly not one without the fitness of a traditional backrower. The need a bit more graft and on ball presence and should be looking at Kohen Herbert to come into the 23.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Rebels don't need another big body in the backrow, particularly not one without the fitness of a traditional backrower. The need a bit more graft and on ball presence and should be looking at Kohen Herbert to come into the 23.
I know it’s a one liner and headline grab but you’d also like him to just win a job in the Front Row.

Rebels also have the young kid Taliatina (I’ve butchered that sorry) who looked unbelievable for the 20s last year. Changed the pack when he was going.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't mind it, but it's a symptom of broader Australian Rugby issues around getting players in the right positions maximal gametime.

Talakai, Tupou and Pone are all experienced players competing for one starting and one reserve jersey at the same team, while all the other sides are running foreigners or <24 year olds with a dozen super caps as their reserve options.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep, he should be working his tail off trying to take Nella's spot at the moment, with fitness and scruming.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I know it’s a one liner and headline grab but you’d also like him to just win a job in the Front Row.

Rebels also have the young kid Taliatina (I’ve butchered that sorry) who looked unbelievable for the 20s last year. Changed the pack when he was going.
He appears to be out with a long term shoulder injury.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't mind it, but it's a symptom of broader Australian Rugby issues around getting players in the right positions maximal gametime.

Talakai, Tupou and Pone are all experienced players competing for one starting and one reserve jersey at the same team, while all the other sides are running foreigners or <24 year olds with a dozen super caps as their reserve options.
Im sure there's a few teams who'd take on Pone atm and have him playing.