• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I don't mind it, but it's a symptom of broader Australian Rugby issues around getting players in the right positions maximal gametime.

Talakai, Tupou and Pone are all experienced players competing for one starting and one reserve jersey at the same team, while all the other sides are running foreigners or <24 year olds with a dozen super caps as their reserve options.
That just goes to the insanity of the Rebels going so hard for Tupou in what was already their strongest and deepest position. They could've picked up a gun inside centre and a hooker with a reliable throw, been in a stronger squad position and had money to spare. Or ideally retained a few more of their players from last year and not be rebuilding a team again.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Are RA officially running the show now down in Vic? With high performance oversight I wonder if they could facilitate a transfer of Pone or Eloff to another franchise in exchange for some cash to the Rebels...

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Are RA officially running the show now down in Vic? With high performance oversight I wonder if they could facilitate a transfer of Pone or Eloff to another franchise in exchange for some cash to the Rebels...
Well that's why centralization would be a good thing, but I'd say until the players have a new agreement with RUPA moving players around wouldn't be that easy.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With everything going on at the Rebels, if I'm a player sitting outside the 23 and given an opportunity to move to another franchise, play more rugby and potentially have my employment in 2025 secured, I reckon I'm taking that leap of faith if the offer comes along.
And in any intelligent universe, RUPA would be right behind the move.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's the whole point. Rebs have Eloff and Pone sitting around holding tackle bags at training while the Force are flying in NPC props and the Tahs are playing 8 cap 22 year olds.
I 100 percent agree, it's ridiculous, and hopefully, the performance alignment will mean that we can sort that out.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
With everything going on at the Rebels, if I'm a player sitting outside the 23 and given an opportunity to move to another franchise, play more rugby and potentially have my employment in 2025 secured, I reckon I'm taking that leap of faith if the offer comes along.
Eloff yes, Pone is home grown so he might be wanting to help the club survive.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I 100 percent agree, it's ridiculous, and hopefully, the performance alignment will mean that we can sort that out.
I think it has to be primarily at the initiative and with the agreement of the player, not simply an instruction from RA to go elsewhere. And that situation exists today, and has for many years (Nathan Charles for example). Hasn't been seen much to date, but these are severely different circumstances where I think many more players would be open to a change of scenery just to get more game time.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Whoop, there it is. Acting on the guidance of his manager, by the sounds of it.
Unofficially, The Roar can reveal an outstanding $7,000 relocation debt owed to Daugunu forced the Wallaby’s hand to miss the match.

It’s believed Daugunu’s agent Damian McGregor-Lowndes gave the Super Rugby franchise until mid-Friday afternoon to settle the debt, but when it wasn’t lodged in time the Wallaby withdrew.

While Rugby Australia is currently honouring the contracts of players and staff, Daugunu’s relocation fee sits outside his contract.

Recognising the can of worms that could be opened by paying Daugunu’s relocation fee, the governing body chose not to settle the fee.

That said, it’s understood RA presented several other options to try and come up with a temporary solution, including fast-tracking a later installment to resolve any cash-flow issues. It was turned down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Feels like a crazy thing not to play over.

I've got some sympathy for all parties here. I certainly agree that Rugby Australia shouldn't pay it. With the ongoing court action they need to ensure they don't create future issues for themselves because they've agreed to cover an expense.

While Daugunu can rightfully feel upset he hasn't been paid it, he probably needs to write it off. I'm not sure who he can expect to pay it going forward.

Should Rugby Australia stop paying him now if he doesn't play?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Feels like a crazy thing not to play over.

I've got some sympathy for all parties here. I certainly agree that Rugby Australia shouldn't pay it. With the ongoing court action they need to ensure they don't create future issues for themselves because they've agreed to cover an expense.

While Daugunu can rightfully feel upset he hasn't been paid it, he probably needs to write it off. I'm not sure who he can expect to pay it going forward.

Should Rugby Australia stop paying him now if he doesn't play?
That may be where this is headed - an early exit to his contract because he has no faith in the organisations continued existence and wants to get on the open market now, rather than in a rush post season. That seems like the most likely reason to take a hard line here, though it could also be combined with frustration for not getting a top up this time around or the missing payment at the time may have caused other issues for him around relocation that means this is about more than strict monetary amount.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It seems a foolish tactic to take with a party dropping in on a white horse. A response in kind would be to cease game payment, but let’s hope that RA don’t stoop to the level of Daugunu’s advisors.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm sure there is an element of bad faith dealings being felt by Daugunu and his manager.

They obviously agreed to a relocation fee as part of signing him this year. I doubt the Rebels ever made it clear they potentially weren't going to be able to fulfil that part of the agreement, in fact in the media and I reckon to the playing group everything was fine, until it wasn't.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That may be where this is headed - an early exit to his contract because he has no faith in the organisations continued existence and wants to get on the open market now, rather than in a rush post season. That seems like the most likely reason to take a hard line here, though it could also be combined with frustration for not getting a top up this time around or the missing payment at the time may have caused other issues for him around relocation that means this is about more than strict monetary amount.
I was thinking that perhaps he looking at getting out too Wilson. Kind of hard to see reasoning of it otherwise, unless they hoping to get a supprter to pay him the money? Messy anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think you are probably right.

The relocation fee would have been payable sometime last year. The fact that they have pushed the button on it now suggests to me that he could be looking for a quick exit.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The fact that RA's proposals to plug the financial hole were rejected suggests it is in no way about the cash.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If his for a quick exit, his stance and advice by his manager is not a great look. If I was another club and looking at him, this would be a massive turn off unless completely stuck for that position. It would completely devalue his worth, rugby is a team sport and his not acting like it.

I would expect this was the managers instructions, cause most rugby players just want to play. But still not a good look, id expect the rest of the team are pissed with him and feel let down. I know as a fan I feel like he does not belong.