• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah i read last night from some A-League fans i follow (on twitter so take with a grain of salt) that the developer who was previously going to build the stadium had pulled out a while ago and have no funding for the actual stadium
I understand there's been some announcements about some seed funding, to get it moving, but nowhere near enough locked in to actually build it

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Also quite funny the number of posters on here who constantly warn against becoming the next A-League and post about their money woes, when this proposal essentially hitches the Rebels wagon to an A-League team.
There's a lot of shaky ground when it comes to a league clubs, but generally speaking our sides should be working with them wherever possible. The largely alternate seasons make it easier to share resources and there isn't the same direct competition for eyeballs and playing talent there is with the other codes. It's also the only other football code with anything approaching and international presence which does mean there are some nice synergies on the sponsorship side too. The trick is to find ways to work for mutual benefit without being too exposed to the other sides issues.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah i read last night from some A-League fans i follow (on twitter so take with a grain of salt) that the developer who was previously going to build the stadium had pulled out a while ago and have no funding for the actual stadium.

Looks like WMG are doing this to try and justify/secure funding for the stadium, which will in turn inflate the value of the development they're planning out at Wyndham

can’t build stadiums anymore without anchor tenants.

In American pro sports they are usually the catalyst for surrounding economic development around venue even though it’s not a great use of public dollars given to billionaires

off topic but kind of on topic - absolutely terrible idea by qld govt To spend all that money on Olympics QE2 when it won’t leave lasting legacy after 2032 without a sports team to call it home post Olympic Games

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There's a lot of shaky ground when it comes to a league clubs, but generally speaking our sides should be working with them wherever possible. The largely alternate seasons make it easier to share resources and there isn't the same direct competition for eyeballs and playing talent there is with the other codes. It's also the only other football code with anything approaching and international presence which does mean there are some nice synergies on the sponsorship side too. The trick is to find ways to work for mutual benefit without being too exposed to the other sides issues.

Great point. ALeague and rugby could have new venues built in collaboration without the overruling lords of the NRL schedule

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

The optics side of swimming in the same pond as the A-League is likely something RA wants to avoid, even though it may be the reality of where Super Rugby sits.

Not disputing anything you say about synergies, but rugby still wants to play with the other Tier 1 sports in Australia (NRL & AFL).

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, it seems like this play is as much about getting another tenant in to help make the stadium happen. That might help in getting a bit more money flowing if the stadium is dead in the water without it though.
My understanding is for the sports, events, entertainment and business precinct that they want to build the costs will be covered from the vast amounts of land they are holding for housing.

What they are trying to get from the government is a train station in the middle of the proposed development. Or get funding for the train line as they maybe happy to build the station.

I think they saw how the lack of a train killed Waverley (VFL Park)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I imagine the Vic Govt will be pushing hard for this proposal behind the scenes as they'll want to be spruiking major investments into the area for the next election...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There are a million and and one issues when it comes to player recruitment and retention, fan access, the need for State investment at a crap time to borrow over the scale of 10+ years etc. etc. etc.

But from a pure financial perspective, I can't see the creditors turning it down. Suppliers get paid, ATO gets paid, ex-directors trade debt for some sort of stake, VIC government shuffle money around behind the scenes to ensure SRO and MOPT get their due.

If the money at hand is substantiated, RA have a massive problem on their hands if they're truly the people we think they are.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Might be another reason RA will OK the PE purchase - "it has been since reported that the Waratahs were also in financial strife, and that the degree of their outstanding debt is now understood to be much worse than was indicated at the time. To say Melbourne Rebels board members and administrators are watching the situation with interest would be an understatement"

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Might be another reason RA will OK the PE purchase - "it has been since reported that the Waratahs were also in financial strife, and that the degree of their outstanding debt is now understood to be much worse than was indicated at the time. To say Melbourne Rebels board members and administrators are watching the situation with interest would be an understatement"

Well lather me in butter and call me a pain au chocolat you dirty dogs. How the turns have tabled.

This is my origin story, this is how I turn into Shiggins 2.0. Flaming Sydney elite.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well lather me in butter and call me a pain au chocolat you dirty dogs. How the turns have tabled.

This is my origin story, this is how I turn into Shiggins 2.0. Flaming Sydney elite.

8lhkz0.jpg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Per injury update:

Kemeny, Anderson and Kellaway expected back for Highlanders

Leota out till after bye with Calf strain

Wilkin hopefully back for last few weeks of super

Pincus had a second surgery, small chance of returning for last game or two of super

Talataiana expected to be fit for JRWC

Hough not expected to be fit until deep into club season

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Been saying it all along. There was an article way back in the Australian that stated the debts were much larger than stated. Yet they get bailed out.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't worry, Cheika will come back in on big bucks, pick up two or three big names from other places in aus, get a wallabies top up for a player not entitled to one yet to prevent him from leaving nsw, and a complementary international player in a position of weakness for all Australian rugby, and all will be fine.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Tahs are emblematic of the broader problems in Aus Rugby. It’s sad as it is such an important market and we need them to be doing well

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I honestly believe that RA do not actually want the Rebels to survive as they fully support the shrink to greatness model. If the Rebels can find a way to fund their debt that will satisfy the receivers then RA will find their hand forced. They will have to either admit that it is the financial viability of Australian Rugby and not the Melbourne Rebels that is the issue including both propping up the Tahs and their own largess or look to a different target for elimination.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I honestly believe that RA do not actually want the Rebels to survive as they fully support the shrink to greatness model. If the Rebels can find a way to fund their debt that will satisfy the receivers then RA will find their hand forced. They will have to either admit that it is the financial viability of Australian Rugby and not the Melbourne Rebels that is the issue including both propping up the Tahs and their own largess or look to a different target for elimination.
it is sad but true