• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Isn't that one of the biggest issues facing RA, that they think they are still a tier 1 sport.
At least the A league understands it's position in the sporting landscape and that they are not competing with AFL and NRL as that fight is already lost. Now they are targeting Rugby and basketball etc.. as that is the market they can compete with for the hearts and minds of the public. RA needs to take a similar stance or position itself as everyone's second sport. The mantra for RA needs to be "live within our means" and not "spend big to win big."
I actually think RA could learn a lot from the NBL. It has always been run on an oily rag yet we are quite good at it and produce a lot of talent for our player pool. Much like Rugby. It does swing me back towards the idea of a domestic comp that serves to entertain and develop talent whilst a good portion of the Wallabies may be located elsewhere for the game to be sustained.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I actually think RA could learn a lot from the NBL. It has always been run on an oily rag yet we are quite good at it and produce a lot of talent for our player pool. Much like Rugby. It does swing me back towards the idea of a domestic comp that serves to entertain and develop talent whilst a good portion of the Wallabies may be located elsewhere for the game to be sustained.

The new administration might play ball with that idea. But it was clear Hammer and Eddie didn't feel that way. Aggressively targeting NRL players doesn't scream 'we are happy to stay in our lane'.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Isn't that one of the biggest issues facing RA, that they think they are still a tier 1 sport.
At least the A league understands it's position in the sporting landscape and that they are not competing with AFL and NRL as that fight is already lost. Now they are targeting Rugby and basketball etc.. as that is the market they can compete with for the hearts and minds of the public. RA needs to take a similar stance or position itself as everyone's second sport. The mantra for RA needs to be "live within our means" and not "spend big to win big."
Agreed, but the whole psyche of RA and rugby is Global thinking & that pervades it. Super Rugby was all about taking over the world, we were suppose to have Asian & American conferences by now (someone else was always gonna pay for our rugby).

The RA walk around with stars in there eyes and blind to see an opportunity in a suburb down the road. I don't believe you can change that "Mantra" until we go domestic as your main driver of growth.

Last edited:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Absolutely agree. Basketball and hockey are great examples with vibrant local comps, competitive international teams, pragmatic understanding of where they compete in the sporting landscape.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Agreed, but the whole psyche of RA and rugby is Global thinking & that pervades it. Super Rugby was all about taking over the world, we were suppose to have Asian & American conferences by now (someone else was always gonna pay for our rugby).

The RA walk around with stars in there eyes and blind to see an opportunity in a suburb down the road. I don't believe you can change that "Mantra" until we go domestic as your main driver of growth.
Starting with a blanket ban on paying overs for league wingers.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

nice rugby is moving from winter calander to summer?

that’s been the NBL biggest reason for success… don’t have to fight for viewership with footy codes

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

that’s been the NBL biggest reason for success… don’t have to fight for viewership with footy codes
Well Well Well...

"Look, before we go any further, it has to be acknowledged that this is conceptual thinking, and its proponent recognises that it is radical."

"Move to the summer months, or more specifically from September through to May. Well, professional rugby at least: the Shute Shield and the Hospital Cup would be in the community window from April to August."

"Certainly, World Rugby and the Six Nations would be doing cartwheels if the two rugby seasons fully lined up and even New Zealand Rugby showed some flexibility when the South Africans were previously trying to move back The Rugby Championship to earlier in the year. (Starting The Rugby Championship in early February, however, is seen as problematic in New Zealand as it would clash with Waitangi Day)."

All from an "Insider".... Probably @Pfitzy

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Singapore Slingers really brought the Asian riches.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

But built of massive junior participation all year round. Their audience was there, they just had to capture it.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I mean, is there a player welfare element that comes into it? There's a reason most Australian summer sports are either lower intensity (cricket), indoors (basketball), or in the water

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty similar crowds at a Melbourne United NBL game and a Rebels game. Can only imagine much cheaper to run a Basketball side with what 15 players total?
I mean, is there a player welfare element that comes into it? There's a reason most Australian summer sports are either lower intensity (cricket), indoors (basketball), or in the water
The weather is absurd. Play quarters?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd normally agree but they seem to be managing it fine in South Africa and the URC, and there's similar conditions there.

Scheduling would need to be sensible, cut most afternoon games during Dec/Jan and focus on night games. With the time zone's across NZ-Perth that's not that difficult to achieve with the 12 teams though.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd normally agree but they seem to be managing it fine in South Africa and the URC, and there's similar conditions there.

Scheduling would need to be sensible, cut most afternoon games during Dec/Jan and focus on night games. With the time zone's across NZ-Perth that's not that difficult to achieve with the 12 teams though.
I think the game scheduling is less of an issue, more training in the heat throughout the week. Can imagine we'd see some fatigue issues creep in. More regular evening storms would also be a consideration for game day.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the game scheduling is less of an issue, more training in the heat throughout the week. Can imagine we'd see some fatigue issues creep in. More regular evening storms would also be a consideration for game day.
Would the training and management be all that different to doing pre-season training during the summer months currently?
For the most part conditioning loads during pre-season are higher then game weeks and then taper into the season.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
They are professional athletes and already train in some capacity 50 weeks of the year, so I don’t think playing in the summer would have any real impact on their experience. The real question would be if the amateur game moved with it

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Also on the league signings, we have signed about 5 of them in the last decade, hardly an obsession as many think. It’s one of those cliche quotes from rugby quarters without any real reality to it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The "european" season being interspersed with both the 6 Nations and (in ordinary years) the EOYTs means that there's lots of scope for rest weeks for RSA teams across the hottest period of the season.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Also on the league signings, we have signed about 5 of them in the last decade, hardly an obsession as many think. It’s one of those cliche quotes from rugby quarters without any real reality to it.
True, except the cost of one Joseph Su'uali(sp?) is the equivalent to paying at least three if not more average super rugby players.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
True, except the cost of one Joseph Su'uali(sp?) is the equivalent to paying at least three if not more average super rugby players.
My issue with the Sua'ali'i deal and others that preceded it is less about the cash splashed on in, and more about the signal it gives to grafters in the game that their work ethic and commitment is of less value than a punt on an unproven player.