• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am sorry but the idea that cutting a team will not reduce the value of the broadcast rights is simply fanciful thinking. The broadcaster is in this to make money not as a donation to RA. They will argue that by cutting a team you are cutting a potential viewing market and given Australia's population distribution cutting Victoria is a big issue. They will also argue that 5 teams down to 4 is a 20% decrease in local content. A 25% decrease in potential viewers and a 20% reduction in content will result in the broadcasters pushing for either a 40% reduction in what they pay or arguing that RA has materially changed the nature of the original agreement and will look to exit the agreement. You can bet they already have their lawyers working on it.
Yes, they will argue that. But the idea that broadcast value is created by Rebels v Dunedin playing in front of no one in Tarneit is also fanciful thinking. The drop in value to Ch9 is principally the number of ppl who drop the Stan sub if the Rebels fold (I dont know what that number is). There is a cost, but there is also an assured cost saving, and a revenue upside opportunity for broadcaster if the other teams perform better (which occurred - albeit off a low base - the last time we went to 4).

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Yes, they will argue that. But the idea that broadcast value is created by Rebels v Dunedin playing in front of no one in Tarneit is also fanciful thinking. The drop in value to Ch9 is principally the number of ppl who drop the Stan sub if the Rebels fold (I dont know what that number is). There is a cost, but there is also an assured cost saving, and a revenue upside opportunity for broadcaster if the other teams perform better (which occurred - albeit off a low base - the last time we went to 4).
But they also don’t need to accept it either. Likely a substantial breach of contract and renegotiate if they see they can make money with an entity with very few options and a trashed wallaby brand post World Cup.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
But they also don’t need to accept it either. Likely a substantial breach of contract and renegotiate if they see they can make money with an entity with very few options and a trashed wallaby brand post World Cup.
For a final year of a television deal that is almost entirely about the lions tour? It's in neither parties interest to play hardball.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan won't be tearing up or penalising any deal with rugby; Stan Sport and Rugby Australia are in a codependent relationship at the moment.

Nine cant cut rugby without writing off Stan Sport, which would mark a significant shift away from the strategic visions that Nine has been pushing the last 4 years in terms of evolving the business model away from Terrestrial to SVOD/BVOD services. Also of note is the fact that the current CEO of Nine is Mike Sneesby, he was head of Stan and instrumental in the establishment of Stan Sport and signing rugby.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
The issue is the power dynamic here. Rugby needs STAN far more than STAN needs Rugby.
No broadcast deal and Rugby is dead in Australia. Nine knows this fact and will be more than willing to use it.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Stan won't be tearing up or penalising any deal with rugby; Stan Sport and Rugby Australia are in a codependent relationship at the moment.

Nine cant cut rugby without writing off Stan Sport, which would mark a significant shift away from the strategic visions that Nine has been pushing the last 4 years in terms of evolving the business model away from Terrestrial to SVOD/BVOD services. Also of note is the fact that the current CEO of Nine is Mike Sneesby, he was head of Stan and instrumental in the establishment of Stan Sport and signing rugby.
I recall a time when the same thing was said about Foxtel and Rugby.
Stan and rugby maybe somewhat co-dependent but the issue the game has is where does any growth in value come from, Stan pretty much has any rugby supporter signed up, and the game isn't exactly in what you would describe a healthy state.

Where does that extra value come from, where are those new subscribers gonna come from. The game does not have a domestic product in Australia to drive that growth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The issue is the power dynamic here. Rugby needs STAN far more than STAN needs Rugby.
No broadcast deal and Rugby is dead in Australia. Nine knows this fact and will be more than willing to use it.

No broadcast deal and xyz sport is dead is surely universal. TV rights are a central pillar of professional sports revenue the world over.

They also know it's a double-edged sword. The success of their investment in Stan Sport and rugby in general is pretty dependent on Australian rugby not being awful. While I agree they're the more powerful player in negotiations they also know that there is a direct correlation between how much they pay for those broadcast rights and the quality of the product they have to broadcast.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think you underestimate the damage it would do to nine/Stan's long term sports plans to lose Rugby overnight, particularly if it went cheaply to fox (the likely outcome from hardball renegotiation). Rugby is very much in their current and future plans and it's not actually worth it for them squeezing the game for much money in 2025 if it means they either lose the broadcast or cripple the sport.

Yes there would be renegotiation if the rebels were lost, but given the way value has been assigned in the past and the intent from super rugby to make up the content shortfall it's unlikely the drop in revenue would be as much as the rebels annual grant.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes there would be renegotiation if the rebels were lost, but given the way value has been assigned in the past and the intent from super rugby to make up the content shortfall it's unlikely the drop in revenue would be as much as the rebels annual grant.
I think Wilson is spot on.

My two cents worth on the broadcaster situation.

With so many streaming platforms now out there I assume the retention of subscribers becomes as important if not more important than new subscribers due to market saturation.

The work Stan is doing in expanding the rugby content through Super W, Sevens, Premiership Rugby, W 6 nations, Super Aupiki, Club rugby et al, will possibly ensure that they retain more than they lose if Rebels fall away, and may even attract a couple of new subscribers to soften the blow of what they lose if the Rebels fall away.

I do not think the argument for them would be about the amount of content Super Rugby provides but rather the loss of "Rebels" subscribers for want of a better phrase, against what they pick up with what you would assume would be cheaper cost options mentioned above.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Have you been under a rock Drew?
Possibly. I only saw this yesterday and tried to scroll through the comments here to see what the fans thought, but it was all about Stan and broadcast deals. Sorry
EDIT: it popped up on fb yesterday, I didn’t see it was published on the 3rd. We were moving house around then.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
apo_zpsu4n1gq2a.png

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Congratulations to Carter Gordon who has moved to equal 6th on Rebels points scorers list with Mike Harris on 133 points.

Last night Gordon moved past Danny Cipriani 122 points, Quade Cooper 116 points and Marika Koroibete 115 points.

Gordon has also joined Dane Haylett-Petty in equal 9th on Rebels try scorers list with 12 tries. Passing Billy Meakes on 11 tries.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Possibly. I only saw this yesterday and tried to scroll through the comments here to see what the fans thought, but it was all about Stan and broadcast deals. Sorry
EDIT: it popped up on fb yesterday, I didn’t see it was published on the 3rd. We were moving house around then.
I have to admit I missed it as well and was wondering about all the references to Tarneit.