• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Didn't he say when Lomani threw the chair, ' Don't break what you can't afford'?
Not implicitly racist, but we can all draw a conclusion here...

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
More to the point, whats the deal with the PE deal for a team coming 4th in a comp which includes the strongest rugby nation on the planet?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, Bruce Lehrmann is a liar, and a rapist...

Sorry, wrong thread...
No you aren't, this is merely another street corner for you to try and implant your non-rugby agenda onto others out of context. FWIW, recognising that like your comment, this has nothing to do with the Melbourne Rebels 2024, I think Lehrmann is a grub. However I also don't have much respect for some other parties in this ordeal.

No, I don't think Lomani is a liar - he clearly reacted to something said, and others in that section of the crowd made accusations of racism... but for whatever reason the allegation hasn't been substantiated.
There is also the (yes, I know, highly improbable) possibility that what was said wasn't deemed to be racist. Or maybe they had a beer and shook hands, some real 'amateur era stuff'.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Doesn't mean that.

Just means that there wasn't a recording that picked it up, and whoever else the Super Rugby investigators asked, they didn't hear what was claimed to have been said
Not a fan of Lomani but he never claimed he was racially abused.

A woman in the crowd did and a video online went viral of her reacting to it without actually hearing what he said.

Yes Lomani reacted to something but you can be abused without it being racist and I have never heard him make any mention of it post game

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No you aren't, this is merely another street corner for you to try and implant your non-rugby agenda onto others out of context. FWIW, recognising that like your comment, this has nothing to do with the Melbourne Rebels 2024, I think Lehrmann is a grub. However I also don't have much respect for some other parties in this ordeal.

There is also the (yes, I know, highly improbable) possibility that what was said wasn't deemed to be racist. Or maybe they had a beer and shook hands, some real 'amateur era stuff'.
It is a grey area, minorities can feel something is racist without it directly being racist. They can feel marginalised and that they have been unfairly targeted because of their ethnicity. Yet they abuse have no racist language and in this case most likely motivated due to Lomani’s actions. It’s not really black and white pardon the pun

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It is a grey area, minorities can feel something is racist without it directly being racist. They can feel marginalised and that they have been unfairly targeted because of their ethnicity. Yet they abuse have no racist language and in this case most likely motivated due to Lomani’s actions. It’s not really black and white pardon the pun
Yes look I totally understand that, and outright racism, or vilification for any views, has no place in the sporting arena. The point is that often the public/onlookers want to make a bigger deal out of things than the people who are actually involved in it, sometimes it could even be a personal joke between the two. It very much sounds like something along these lines is the case here.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes look I totally understand that, and outright racism, or vilification for any views, has no place in the sporting arena. The point is that often the public/onlookers want to make a bigger deal out of things than the people who are actually involved in it, sometimes it could even be a personal joke between the two. It very much sounds like something along these lines is the case here.
You think Lomani being made upset by a comment to the point of having to be held back, which seemingly came from a random person in the crowd, is an inside joke?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You think Lomani being made upset by a comment to the point of having to be held back, which seemingly came from a random person in the crowd, is an inside joke?
No I meant that the person in the crowd made a bigger deal of it after the event, the part about personal jokes wasn't meant in this instance but I can see why you thought that, I could have worded it more clearly.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
No I meant that the person in the crowd made a bigger deal of it after the event, the part about personal jokes wasn't meant in this instance but I can see why you thought that, I could have worded it more clearly.
Understood - however, I think it's pretty clear that something offensive was said, given the reaction of Lomani himself, a couple of others on the sideline, and several members of the crowd. Whether it was a racist remark or not, I don't see it being a case of one or two people taking offence to light banter.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Understood - however, I think it's pretty clear that something offensive was said, given the reaction of Lomani himself, a couple of others on the sideline, and several members of the crowd. Whether it was a racist remark or not, I don't see it being a case of one or two people taking offence to light banter.
If they questioned his character after his actions that’s valid. If it upsets him who cares.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Also on the league signings, we have signed about 5 of them in the last decade, hardly an obsession as many think. It’s one of those cliche quotes from rugby quarters without any real reality to it.

And some have been our best players for years of it.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Western United playing their first A-League at Tarneit. PE consortium potentially buying rebels
IMG_7240.jpeg

IMG_7241.jpeg

IMG_7242.jpeg

IMG_7243.jpeg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I can't see midweek games ever working out there, just not enough connection to anywhere else in the city to make a non-weekend trip worth it.

Stadium is pretty much exactly what I want for us though. Couple of Grandstands, plenty of room for sponsors tents, club activities, food & alcohol trucks etc.

But I'm biased, reminds me of the few opportunities I've gotten to see Glasgow at Scotstoun.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Apparently, if the deal with Western United goes ahead, the Federal government will fund the stadium expansion (15K capacity).