• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
where are you @Braveheart81 ??? need your analytical eye on this.

I haven't had time to read through any of it in detail but oh boy, it certainly makes for difficult reading for all parties involved. What an absolute clusterfuck.

I don't see why the ATO would release the outgoing directors from their director penalty notices. That would be an absurd decision for them.

Even more remote to this is why would RA do anything to change the status quo from them running the Rebels? The DOCA seems to be akin to asking the turkey to vote for Christmas. While Rugby Australia has had plenty of turkeys over the years it's hard to see them taking this option.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Why are RA waiting so long to state their position? Why don't they just come out and say they want to shut it down?

Reactions: mst

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Why are RA waiting so long to state their position? Why don't they just come out and say they want to shut it down?
I wouldn't have thought that is something a CEO or even a chair can decide on their own.

At the minimum a board meeting required to consider the administrator's report, and if it ends up being a loss of a Super Rugby team, then it's probably a full General Meeting with voting member voting required

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In an indirect way RA have by deciding to do nothing more than prop-up the side for 2024 and have made it clear all conversations were about 2024. The lack of anything since then is a pretty clear clue. Let's be honest, nobody is stepping in to genuinely save the Rebels. Not even the State Government. Those making proposal are doing it as it helps their self-interests. I know that's not unusual to have self interest in any deal, but when its token gestures like a quick sugar hit and not a long term plan on one side, and the other is to fund legal action against the game (RA), none of it helps the game. Quite the opposite.

Reading all of this I can't help but form an opinion that this directors first, club later rescue plan. The ATO releasing them from the notices is fanciful and certainly not in the public's interest.

The qeustion I have is if the Tarneit group really want a Super Rugby team, they could skip the skeletons and start afresh instead of wasting all that cash just to bail the Rebels.? The reality that's not what this its about.

It is about justifying a stadium build using the Rebels as a short term justification. We don't need to back in the same position this next year when the cash and deal are ending and trying to save a less supported, poorly located team with no backers and no ground. Rip the band-aid off now and move forward. Unless it a commitments to 10yrs plus to re-establish a brand and a team, or re-invent the same one, all the proposals thus far lead us to the same problems and lack of solutions in 12 months time.

Reactions: dru

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I would imagine the principal reason for RAs delay would be due to legal advice. From reading what both parties have stated, things may not be as clear cut as RA would like us to believe. There has been a statement that the Rebels had to field a team because of the RA contract, that matched with the requirement to pay 95% of the salary cap meant that they had no option but to keep operating at a high salary base and fielding a team in the competition week in week out incurringfurther losses. That could mean that RA could be found legally responsible for all the debts accrued.

Now, we also have the conflicting statements on whether RA truly fulfilled all their financial commitments, there is no definitive answer either way but the receiver appointed did leave the door open for legal action against RA which indicates there may well be a strong argument that perhaps they didn't.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ok, so why RA hasn't pulled the pin is easy. Broadcast rights will be stalling everything, they won't want 4 teams.

Have heard rumors that both Stan and Foxtel won't negotiate without a team in Melbourne. The market population of 7 million is to much to go without.

Have heard of 2 PE groups ready to step in, not just the Western group. Both parties have just over 40 million commitment towards the Rebels future towards 2027. Both offers are peanuts on the dollar for current debts though.

The Western group will be seeking Government assistance for a new train station to service the stadium, government was previously reluctant as the stadium was single use for soccer only. Now that they will be saying we have 2 clubs and 4 teams using it as a home ground it becomes harder to refuse. Even if the station and stadium are delayed, it gives them better bargaining power with MOPT and the rental cost of AAMI.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know everyone says any Melbourne team is better than nothing but I'm not sure. I've enjoyed this season so much more because we've actually won some games, if we become some west Melbourne team that's bargain basement type stuff, Moana level recruitment on a shoestring budget that will be excruciating.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know everyone says any Melbourne team is better than nothing but I'm not sure. I've enjoyed this season so much more because we've actually won some games, if we become some west Melbourne team that's bargain basement type stuff, Moana level recruitment on a shoestring budget that will be excruciating.
That's the thing with Aussie Super Rugby teams, they have to spend the salary cap (Or close enough to the lot anyway)

Quite a few of our guys are local now, so they want to play here. A lot of others love the city and don't really want to leave, are raising there families here etc.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Ok, so why RA hasn't pulled the pin is easy. Broadcast rights will be stalling everything, they won't want 4 teams.

Have heard rumors that both Stan and Foxtel won't negotiate without a team in Melbourne. The market population of 7 million is to much to go without.

Have heard of 2 PE groups ready to step in, not just the Western group. Both parties have just over 40 million commitment towards the Rebels future towards 2027. Both offers are peanuts on the dollar for current debts though.

The Western group will be seeking Government assistance for a new train station to service the stadium, government was previously reluctant as the stadium was single use for soccer only. Now that they will be saying we have 2 clubs and 4 teams using it as a home ground it becomes harder to refuse. Even if the station and stadium are delayed, it gives them better bargaining power with MOPT and the rental cost of AAMI.
That makes sense.....

half

Alan Cameron (40)

Especially with the AFL talking about 20 teams, the NRL talking about 18 to 20 teams, and the A-L talking about 14 to 16 teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know it's all said with the power of retrospect but RA turned down a (strings attached) offer of financial support from a billionaire in favour of a club that almost immediately began trading insolvent after that decision. Talk about stinkers.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Stop repeating this fallacy. That is an NRL/RLPA CBA thing and has nothing to do with the RA/RUPA CBA.

RA salary cap is more of a soft cap due to top ups etc.
Looks like the salary cap of $5.5 mio is a CBA obligation to a minimum 90% level, while RA funding is $3.9 mio; a $1 mio shortfall if 90% is observed [but they likely spent the full $5.5 mio], leaving them around $1.7 mio a year short on salaries alone?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

RA doesn't have to pull the pin at this point. They are the ones keeping the Rebels operating.

RA wants MRRU Limited to fall in a heap (hopefully due to the ATO proceeding to liquidate the company and pursue the directors) and then they can proceed through 2024 with the Rebels and then work out what to do next.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Looks like the salary cap of $5.5 mio is a CBA obligation to a minimum 90% level, while RA funding is $3.9 mio; a $1 mio shortfall if 90% is observed [but they likely spent the full $5.5 mio], leaving them around $1.7 mio a year short on salaries alone?

And back in 2018 they should have said, we can't afford to pay the 90 percent of the salary cap as we will be trading insolvent. Not hide it for 5 years. This is so ridiculous.. oh we can't afford it, but they said we have to spend it..I know the best idea, let's just spend it and not pay our bills..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
RA doesn't have to pull the pin at this point. They are the ones keeping the Rebels operating.

RA wants MRRU Limited to fall in a heap (hopefully due to the ATO proceeding to liquidate the company and pursue the directors) and then they can proceed through 2024 with the Rebels and then work out what to do next.
Yeah I suspect they want a team in Melbourne, so there trying to best work out how to do that without signing off on a legal court battle...