• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd expect RA and the Rebels to settle on an amount, Rebels directors to sort a payment plan with ATO. Would save a hell of a lot of time and money.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
RA really need to look at things outside of the financial side with this decision - fuck me and I know its a completely different kettle of fish in a code that can afford it - but how much are the AFL pumping into the loss making Suns and Giants?
The the shuffling of the exec decks at the Western Force and seeing Matt Hodgson moving into the Special Projects role for example, ( which in corporate land is the kiss of death) but knowing Twiggy, Hodgson will be now in charge of some interesting and creative growth initiatives to boost the game in the West and beyond - he's not twiddling his thumbs waiting for a redundo.
Rugby in Vic needs to do the same - heck do a ring around to 1000 rugby loving fans and ask them to contribute $5k like the AFL clubs did back in the 80s when the game was broke - there's $5 mil... but for that maybe they get a stake and a say in the club etc. Create ownership.
Get a few interstate passionate ugby fans around the country who genuinely care about the growth of the game - lets say 500 to chip in $2k each towards the club - there's another mil. As long as it doesnt go to over paying mungos etc. Don''t ask - dont get.

In a funny sense, the money is not the issue if the interest is there. There is rugby money in Melbourne that could make the financial issue go away.
I think the rugby interest is there. I think the VIC govt recognises the size of intl rugby and the $ that it generates. The Lions tour will be massive next year and VIC isnt part of it, the may appear to shrug their shoulders and not care - but I bet they do...

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
RA really need to look at things outside of the financial side with this decision - fuck me and I know its a completely different kettle of fish in a code that can afford it - but how much are the AFL pumping into the loss making Suns and Giants?
The the shuffling of the exec decks at the Western Force and seeing Matt Hodgson moving into the Special Projects role for example, ( which in corporate land is the kiss of death) but knowing Twiggy, Hodgson will be now in charge of some interesting and creative growth initiatives to boost the game in the West and beyond - he's not twiddling his thumbs waiting for a redundo.
Rugby in Vic needs to do the same - heck do a ring around to 1000 rugby loving fans and ask them to contribute $5k like the AFL clubs did back in the 80s when the game was broke - there's $5 mil... but for that maybe they get a stake and a say in the club etc. Create ownership.
Get a few interstate passionate ugby fans around the country who genuinely care about the growth of the game - lets say 500 to chip in $2k each towards the club - there's another mil. As long as it doesnt go to over paying mungos etc. Don''t ask - dont get.
Who would want to do that though? I’d have no confidence giving my hard earned cash away to a Rebels organisation proven to be totally inept at running a business.

I appreciate the position Rebels fans are in - you love your club and want it to survive. But the ones at fault here aren’t RA - it’s the Rebels board. If the Rebels do survive, those fuckers need to be taken to the cleaners by creditors and never be allowed near the Rebels again.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd expect RA and the Rebels to settle on an amount, Rebels directors to sort a payment plan with ATO. Would save a hell of a lot of time and money.
The former, almost certainly.

Maybe not with the ATO. Given the history of not meeting previous payment plans they may not be very keen.

The directors also now have this additional issue to worry about moving forward.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240503-180121.png
    Screenshot_20240503-180121.png
    324.2 KB · Views: 86

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Who would want to do that though? I’d have no confidence giving my hard earned cash away to a Rebels organisation proven to be totally inept at running a business.

I appreciate the position Rebels fans are in - you love your club and want it to survive. But the ones at fault here aren’t RA - it’s the Rebels board. If the Rebels do survive, those fuckers need to be taken to the cleaners by creditors and never be allowed near the Rebels again.
Richmond rattled the tins in the lates 80s

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah, nah, the AFL have business people that know stuff unlike Rugby. Big difference is although making a loss they are growing and own stuff. I think it's only the Red's and Twiggy (commonly referred to as the Force)t that owns anything Rugby related other than a debt or lease.
They are also doing that novel thing where they are winning and not throwing the cot-toys at the Governing Body. They also not have been pissing away any $$ given to them and using it on actual footy stuff. GWS sell out Manuka in Canberra every game and also have a 10K membership base in the ACT region.

Feb 2024 :
The Gold Coast SUNS Football Club has today lodged its 2023 financial result, a year in which strong revenue growth has continued to drive the club forward. In a positive sign for the direction of the football club, the club recorded an underlying operating profit of $554,934 for the financial year ending October 2023.

Although, an overall statutory loss of $1.7million has been lodged with ASIC, due to the impacts from accounting for the lease of Heritage Bank Stadium. Significant growth (+22%) in club generated revenues comes off the back of both strong results in match day revenues as well as increased utilisation of Heritage Bank Stadium for non-traditional revenue opportunities. The club’s supporter base across all parts of the business can be attributed for a large portion of the uplift. Membership and Ticketing income grew by 21% which included a first sell out of the stadium since 2014, in Round 16 against Collingwood. Merchandise sales grew by 34% alongside an increase in the average attendance for SUNS home fixtures on the Gold Coast to 14,522 per game.

Commercially, Corporate Hospitality revenue grew by 20% and included five sell outs of nine home fixtures at Heritage Bank Stadium. Sponsorship and supply rights revenue also grew by 7%. A clear and deliberate focus on diversifying the use of Heritage Bank Stadium as an asset for the football club has continued to lead to important revenue increases (60%) that sit outside of core business opportunities.

March 2024:
The club fell short of its 2023 budget by $900k to record an overall operating loss of $2.75m before interest, depreciation and government grant funding.

The financial result reflected a variety of factors, with unsold commercial assets a significant contributing factor. Since this time, the club has secured a new multi-year multi-million-dollar naming-rights partnership with ENGIE as well as a new major events deal.

Last week the club passed 30,000 members, the quickest the club has ever reached this mark, with membership revenue up 57 per cent year on year. Saturday’s sold-out Opening Round match at ENGIE Stadium was the club’s highest-ever revenue game at the venue.

As start-up, our trajectory has not been linear, but it has been positive in a large but diverse and competitive market. “As we enter the next phase of our business, we are focused on compounding consumer, commercial and community growth and as we start the 2024 season, we’re seeing significant uplifts across these areas of our business.

“In collaboration with the AFL Commission and Executive, the club has a strong strategic plan in place with football performance, fixturing and investment in growing the game in NSW the biggest levers for financial performance.
“With the introduction of Opening Round and the performance of our AFL team, we’re already seeing the positive returns for the club as we look ahead to successful 2024 AFL and AFLW seasons.”

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The consortium has to sue RA and then ask for the licence back.
I agree regarding the ATO. They don't support the DOCA and it wont be great publicity if they are seen to favour a sporting club at the same time going so hard after SME's and the directors.
The optics is the least of it. Why would they just waive tax debt without any particular reason except 'aww but we really wanted to not pay that though'? I'm not an accountant but I assume they aren't super loose on who has to pay their tax debts.

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah, nah, the AFL have business people that know stuff unlike Rugby. Big difference is although making a loss they are growing and own stuff. I think it's only the Red's and Twiggy (commonly referred to as the Force)t that owns anything Rugby related other than a debt or lease.
They are also doing that novel thing where they are winning and not throwing the cot-toys at the Governing Body. They also not have been pissing away any $$ given to them and using it on actual footy stuff. GWS sell out Manuka in Canberra every game and also have a 10K membership base in the ACT region.

Feb 2024 :
The Gold Coast SUNS Football Club has today lodged its 2023 financial result, a year in which strong revenue growth has continued to drive the club forward. In a positive sign for the direction of the football club, the club recorded an underlying operating profit of $554,934 for the financial year ending October 2023.

Although, an overall statutory loss of $1.7million has been lodged with ASIC, due to the impacts from accounting for the lease of Heritage Bank Stadium. Significant growth (+22%) in club generated revenues comes off the back of both strong results in match day revenues as well as increased utilisation of Heritage Bank Stadium for non-traditional revenue opportunities. The club’s supporter base across all parts of the business can be attributed for a large portion of the uplift. Membership and Ticketing income grew by 21% which included a first sell out of the stadium since 2014, in Round 16 against Collingwood. Merchandise sales grew by 34% alongside an increase in the average attendance for SUNS home fixtures on the Gold Coast to 14,522 per game.

Commercially, Corporate Hospitality revenue grew by 20% and included five sell outs of nine home fixtures at Heritage Bank Stadium. Sponsorship and supply rights revenue also grew by 7%. A clear and deliberate focus on diversifying the use of Heritage Bank Stadium as an asset for the football club has continued to lead to important revenue increases (60%) that sit outside of core business opportunities.

March 2024:
The club fell short of its 2023 budget by $900k to record an overall operating loss of $2.75m before interest, depreciation and government grant funding.

The financial result reflected a variety of factors, with unsold commercial assets a significant contributing factor. Since this time, the club has secured a new multi-year multi-million-dollar naming-rights partnership with ENGIE as well as a new major events deal.

Last week the club passed 30,000 members, the quickest the club has ever reached this mark, with membership revenue up 57 per cent year on year. Saturday’s sold-out Opening Round match at ENGIE Stadium was the club’s highest-ever revenue game at the venue.

As start-up, our trajectory has not been linear, but it has been positive in a large but diverse and competitive market. “As we enter the next phase of our business, we are focused on compounding consumer, commercial and community growth and as we start the 2024 season, we’re seeing significant uplifts across these areas of our business.

“In collaboration with the AFL Commission and Executive, the club has a strong strategic plan in place with football performance, fixturing and investment in growing the game in NSW the biggest levers for financial performance.
“With the introduction of Opening Round and the performance of our AFL team, we’re already seeing the positive returns for the club as we look ahead to successful 2024 AFL and AFLW seasons.”
And the Giants (and Suns) paid their tax bill.
And didn't lie about it....

Reactions: mst

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Or, just maybe....the directors of the Rebels who lied to everyone - including RA - should be forced to cover the costs?
Which, to be honest, is what will happen with the ATO action.

No, no, no. They should be allowed to sue RA for not providing them with supposed promised funds that documents show are exaggerated and wouldn't have changed much if anything and then RA should return them the licence. I want the Rebels continue but some of the reasoning here astounds.

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)

In a funny sense, the money is not the issue if the interest is there. There is rugby money in Melbourne that could make the financial issue go away.
I think the rugby interest is there. I think the VIC govt recognises the size of intl rugby and the $ that it generates. The Lions tour will be massive next year and VIC isnt part of it, the may appear to shrug their shoulders and not care - but I bet they do...
Some history... quite a few years back the Reds settled a court case with their Perpetual Ballymore Members over access to Suncorp. (This was an old legacy thing where in the 70s you paid $3000 for perpetual (!) access to Reds matches. there was an argument over how that translated to Suncorp).
The Reds then asked those members, who have access to matches for the rest of their lives, and children's lives and grandkids lives etc etc, for a donation of $5k.
I've been told they got two donations from 400-odd members. One for $5000. One for $100.
If in a heartland State, with people/families obviously massive fans of the game, they get about a 0.2% take up of donations?
You think Rebels fans, who are nowhere near in number, or as passionate, and who certainly don't have any sort of history like finals footy to fall back on, are going to stump up?
In the words of an immortal Melburnian......"Tell them they're dreaming..."

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
No, no, no. They should be allowed to sue RA for not providing them with supposed promised funds that documents show are exaggerated and wouldn't have changed much if anything and then RA should return them the licence. I want the Rebels continue but some of the reasoning here astounds.
When your whole business model is "give us our licence back so we can sue you and burn the whole fucking game down around your ears"...

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
No RA didn’t step in and stop them because QRU were transparent with them.

Tarneit may be a reset but you can’t blame RA for wanting to ensure there’s long term viability to it (and transparency) as opposed to a bit of up front cash.
RA never did "step in". They extended loans and/or advanced payments (much as World Rugby recently did for RA.
The Reds also - and I know this may be hard for Rebels fans to comprehend - paid their tax bills.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I really hope the game finds a way for the Rebels to survive and I feel for the players, staff and fans.

But the only thing worse than the actions of the Rebels board here IMO is the amount of front this same group has to stand up in public with a straight face and try to play the good guy here.

They deserve to be buried by the ATO. At the very least I wish they would show at least a tiny amount of humility.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The blame is squarely on RA, the administration has systematically failed the game in this country. The Giants get 250% from the AFL what Collingwood gets. Without that they wouldn’t survive. Yet RA intentionally under funds teams it’s pathetic.

We constantly hear how Sydney is the biggest rugby market in the southern hemisphere and the Tahs can’t turn a profit. That’s not a shot at them. It’s a reflection on the systematic failures within Australian rugby. How can RA think it is a good idea to try and establish an expansion club on a budget that can’t sustain a heartland club?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I hope this puts the whole Rebels thing to bed for a while now. Pleased they look like staying around, even if it means RA has to keep living outside it's means. We can go back to just enjoying how well Rebels are playing (which I believe they are).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The blame is squarely on RA, the administration has systematically failed the game in this country. The Giants get 250% from the AFL what Collingwood gets. Without that they wouldn’t survive. Yet RA intentionally under funds teams it’s pathetic.

We constantly hear how Sydney is the biggest rugby market in the southern hemisphere and the Tahs can’t turn a profit. That’s not a shot at them. It’s a reflection on the systematic failures within Australian rugby. How can RA think it is a good idea to try and establish an expansion club on a budget that can’t sustain a heartland club?
Tahs turned a profit 4 out of the last 5 years, FYI

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tahs turned a profit 4 out of the last 5 years, FYI
Yet needed their debts bailed out. The point is the financial viability of the supposed heartland franchises is dubious. Yet they expect expansion markets to run off the same budget. Want be too long until all the other Aus sides go broke and personally I won’t shed a tear. The game here for years has been destroyed by self interest. RA’s conduct this whole way through has been pathetic

The RA mouth pieces has been spouting the shrink to greatness rubbish for the last 12 months. It’s clear they wanted us gone. RA is toxic and I am looking forward to leaving it all behind