• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Model for a new rulebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yes, I know they're called Laws in rugby but let's copy everything about the NFL model and call them rules. These bad boys are so clearly written they put our "law" book to shame.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

I especially love the "Casebook" which is a list of precedents and examples which clarify every point.

Let's rewrite the rugby rules from scratch with this.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You see, this is why there's now a rule for creating new threads. Useless ones like this don't make the grade.

Someone delete my powers forthwith.

40 views and no comments ......... ya fuckwits.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm sure it is well done, but most blokes on here (probably 99 out of 100) only have a rudimentary understanding of the rules. Look at the passage below, i'm not sure if this passage makes things clearer or the opposite.

A.R. 3.1 INTENTIONAL FUMBLE FORWARD—ILLEGAL FORWARD PASS

Second-and-6 on A40. A1 runs to the A47 and pretends to fumble but throws the ball forward out of
bounds. Seven minutes remain in the game.
Ruling:

A’s ball, third-and-4 on A42. The clock starts on the snap. (3-2-4-Note, 8-1-1-S.N. 5)

Let the IRB near something like this and you will need an advanced degree in Mathematics and algorithisms to understand the content. But the format seems promising.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm sure it is well done, but most blokes on here (probably 99 out of 100) only have a rudimentary understanding of the rules. Look at the passage below, i'm not sure if this passage makes things clearer or the opposite.

Let the IRB near something like this and you will need an advanced degree in Mathematics and algorithisms to understand the content. But the format seems promising.

Imagine the posts on here arguing about that interpretation:
Downed by contact...

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
You see, this is why there's now a rule for creating new threads. Useless ones like this don't make the grade.

Someone delete my powers forthwith.

40 views and no comments ... ya fuckwits.
Please see the other thread. We're all dickheads, not fuckwits.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
RE the rucking:

I understand why it was banned, too many thugs in grade rugby/schools. However, there is absolutely no reason it couldn't be brought back at a professional level. Any professional game is recorded on camera, and i'd wager over 90% of players are just not the kind of thug we stamps on someones head. It does happen once every couple of years, but as a percentage of the number of rucks for each head rucking incident....its probably something like half a million to one.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Even if you brought back rucking, you would want the law/rule to be written more clearly than any of the poetry in the Laws of Rugby. The iRB seem to have a Joycean capacity for indeterminable sentences.

The Cory Jane case, and the various McCaw cases that have been debated on here recently, indicate that it is just not possible to determine a ruling from the written word alone. We always have to refer to "what referees do in practice."

They need to be rewritten from scratch.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Even if you brought back rucking, you would want the law/rule to be written more clearly than any of the poetry in the Laws of Rugby. The iRB seem to have a Joycean capacity for indeterminable sentences.

The Cory Jane case, and the various McCaw cases that have been debated on here recently, indicate that it is just not possible to determine a ruling from the written word alone. We always have to refer to "what referees do in practice."

They need to be rewritten from scratch.

James or Alan?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How about this suggestion, which I heard today: if you take a penalty and miss and the ball is touched down in goal or goes dead the other side gets a scrum feed form the place of the kick.

An alternative would be to make it only if it was touched down or only for kicks, say, outside the 22.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
What about this to overcome the drudgery of penalty plagued shootouts? When a penalty is awarded, the attacking team must immediately (or within 10 seconds) take a tap, touch finder or drop goal. In other words, eliminate the place kick for penalty shots and replace with a drop goal taken almost immediately. 3 points remain for success. To me, this will increase the pace of the game and cause teams to run or take an attacking lineout more often.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I know there's the new 90 sec rule to take the conversion after a try is scored. Is there a rule with regards to taking the penalty within a set time once it is awarded?

Status
Not open for further replies.