• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

MONARO COMPETITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any1 play or follow the Monaro Competition? 1st Div or 2nd Div?

1st Division sides:

ADFA
Cooma
Goulburn
Hall
RMC
Yass

- Yass Grand Final Winners in 2013

2nd Division sides:

Bungendore
Taralaga
Boorowa
Jindabyne
Crookwell

- Jindabyne were a very strong side last season winning the Grand Final

Hopefully we can get some people posting in here regarding the two divisions - I will try and keep people upto date on how the comps are going!

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Monaro to win Provincial and Red Devils to win Monaro. No analysis just from the heart.

Also any idea on where the Provincial tournament will be this year?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Any1 play or follow the Monaro Competition? 1st Div or 2nd Div?

1st Division sides:

ADFA
Cooma
Goulburn
Hall
RMC
Yass

- Yass Grand Final Winners in 2013

2nd Division sides:

Bungendore
Taralaga
Boorowa
Jindabyne
Crookwell

- Jindabyne were a very strong side last season winning the Grand Final

Hopefully we can get some people posting in here regarding the two divisions - I will try and keep people upto date on how the comps are going!

I thought I read that the ACT Comp were looking to progressively re-introduce Goulburn into their comp over the next few years.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Also any idea on where the Provincial tournament will be this year?
I think it will be in the Monaro competition somewhere, it's their turn. More than likely Goulburn or Yass.

Given the Brumbies budgetary restrictions for the community rugby level, I would expect to see them try and condense the tournament this year and try and locate the tournament centrally to save as much coin as possible.

Rather than playing over three days, the tournament may be run over two days.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not sure how it would be possible to have it over 2 days - would mean 1 team would have to play twice in one day - which honestly you would think it would be the South Coast side.

With Monaro and Southern Inland playing the main game on the 2nd day.

I hope they don't play it over 2 days - will def take away from the comp and away from what some players aim for the whole season....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think there was word of Laurie Fisher wanting to see Goulburn back in the John I Dent - not sure if it will happen or not though.

There was also word of combining the South Coast Comp and the Monaro Comp - I am guessing it would be the 2nd div/South Coast.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Thanks Sam. Bad news though if it is condensed. Hardly fair on whoever cops it.

I think the change (if it happens) will be driven by dollar constraints only - I believe the three competitions are happy with the tournament as it stands presently. Remember that at Country Week, teams could play up to three games on the first day.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Word on the street is that Bungendore Mudchooks started training last night - trying to improve on their 3rd place finish last season - they have been a strong side over the last few years - winning the comp in 09/2011 - see how they fair this year...Jindabyne I think will be the fav again to take out the title - have not heard anything about them training yet....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Both the 1st Division and 2nd Division draws have come out -

1st Division - kicking off on April 5th -

http://www.brumbies.com.au/Portals/...Draws/1st Division - Final Draw - 6th Feb.pdf

2nd Division - Kicking off on May 3rd -

http://www.brumbies.com.au/Portals/... Final Draw 11th Feb - 5 Team Competition.pdf

I am unsure if May 3rd is a typo - or if they are starting the season 4 weeks after the 1st Division season starts - I find this fairly strange that they would have such a differences in starting times.

berrablue

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not sure how it would be possible to have it over 2 days - would mean 1 team would have to play twice in one day - which honestly you would think it would be the South Coast side.

With Monaro and Southern Inland playing the main game on the 2nd day.

I hope they don't play it over 2 days - will def take away from the comp and away from what some players aim for the whole season..

To be honest I think that the Brumbies provincial stuff is a bit of a crock. It does not lead anywhere. Save the dollars and subsidise the new team levy.
Get the development officers to scout players from club games.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
To be honest I think that the Brumbies provincial stuff is a bit of a crock. It does not lead anywhere. Save the dollars and subsidise the new team levy.

I think it's more a reward more than anything mate....giving back to the grass roots players...as I have stated before...for some players it's a goal to make the provincial comp and then the provincial team....would be stupid getting rid of it....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I do agree though mate there should be more scouting down in these comps (Monaro/South Coast/Southern Inland) - some very very good players being lost in the system.

You would prob see less of a need for teams in the John I Dent for example to get players from QLD, Melb, NSW, New Zealand etc - lots of talent in the comps mentioned above and as you said they lead nowhere and simply end of not playing or moving to league.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

Sorry, BB but have to disagree on this one. If there is nothing for a player of genuine talent to aim for then why play. All you get is the old guys running around for the fun of it. But with no young guys coming through, there's no more old guys in a few years time. Then there's no game.

There are a large number of Wallabies, and state players over the last 100 years that didn't start in the Shute Shield or Premier Rugby. Take away this and what are the scouts you're suggesting going to look at. Country League players that might make the transistion?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Totally agree - if anything the Provincial Championships should be made bigger - and/or the Provincial Side (once selected) should play more games and maybe even tour QLD/NSW etc - for a week or so....

I honestly dont believe that 1 game V an army rugby side - months after the provincial Championships is enough....

Isnt the whole issue that we Aus rugby are not supporting grass roots footy....why take even more away from them? Which in the big picture costs the ARU/ACTRU/NSWRU - nothing really - prob the same as 1 players international game day payment.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would be an interesting concept if it comes about and will def shake off some dust on both comps....

From the Narooma News -

RECENT meetings of South Coast Rugby Union and Monaro Rugby Union decided to delay the introduction of a ‘Super Rugby’ format for the two unions until the 2015 season.
The proposed competition would have seen both unions joining for a middle round of rugby for the 12 teams in addition to playing home and away rounds in their respective competitions.

Some Clubs expressed concerns with commitment to the additional travel involved for this season and believe more planning is needed including the possibility of some games being played centrally for all teams as a Gala Day at either Bungendore or Braidwood.

Meanwhile the local competition looks not only to include a second team from Batemans Bay but there is renewed interest to form a team in the Bega Valley. Renewed interest has come from persons migrating to the area who are keen to reform a local team within the Bega Valley Shire area. A core group have already committed to playing but more are needed. Anyone interested in playing can contact Matt Gould 043 1405 170.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
This cross over system has some merit. SIRU tried this concept for 2 years back in the days when they ran a North & South conference system. They would play 2 crossover games per season. One was scheduled early in the seasons draw the other was late in the draw. They used both systems. First year was 2 Gala days and second year was individual clubs going to the other club that they had drawn to play and the reciprocal for the 2nd game. The system of who you played was determined by your position on the ladder at a given point. This system will work well if both comps are relatively even in the playing ability of the corresponding teams from top team to the bottom team in both comps , but, absolutely disastrous if one comp is stronger than the other which was basically what happened with SIRU. Both 1st & 2nd grades played and the points counted towards the ladder.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Would be an interesting concept if it comes about and will def shake off some dust on both comps..
This cross over system has some merit. SIRU tried this concept for 2 years back in the days when they ran a North & South conference system.

The SIRU Competition that ran with this concept was pretty strong back then too if my memory serves me correctly. I think something like this has potential to freshen up both the FSC and Monaro competitions, possibly with the gala day format to start with.

I think the major difference between the SIRU concept and the FSC/Monaro concept is that the SIRU Clubs were all playing for the one Grand Final whereas the FSC/Monaro Competitions are not.

Maybe the concept initially needs to focus on the "cross over" matches as a separate gala day format similar to the English Football competitions??

Thoughts?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think to start with they would need more crossover pre-season games Monaro sides V South Coast sides and then also a 1-2 day "comp" - and then maybe even a rep game or 2 during the season Monaro V South Coast - apart from the Provincial comp.

The big thing will be the travel - teams struggle as it is and adding to that may just make it unviable.

As mentioned though I think if it was to go through and happen there would need to be the one grand final - maybe even only the 2nd div sides playing the FSC sides??

Status
Not open for further replies.