• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Morahan called up to replace Mortlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
waratahjesus said:
what the hell has hangalangalaloo gotta do?

What, you mean apart from have enough talent and be test level?

Or you mean apart from play for the Tahs?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Newb said:
Noddy said:
Newb said:
i like morahan so don't get me wrong... but wouldn't lealiifano have been a wiser choice for the call up?

isn't he injured?

ah, could be. honestly don't know.

no he's not. i drove past Brumbies HQ and saw him training last week. Also saw him tear it up in ACT grand final.
i have no idea why he wasn't called up. must be of the love list for some stupid reason.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
hmm. if that's the case, then i restate my point. leals has more useful experience and would seem to be more handy at this point in an actual game than morahan as he could cover the 10, 12, 15 spots pretty well from what i've seen in super14. but they took kingi and dennis already so maybe it's more of that.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Ash said:
waratahjesus said:
what the hell has hangalangalaloo gotta do?

What, you mean apart from have enough talent and be test level?

Or you mean apart from play for the Tahs?

so morohan and kingi are test level after achieving............................................
hangers has points on the board to be on the plane, its not fandom its common sense and the guy has worked dam hard to get a chance, but i guess with all the players over there we can expect qld to start favourates for 2010!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
my god we really need an australia a. and quickly.

hangers is good at S14 level but he doesn't have the potential to good at test level. i guess these boys do.

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
Newb said:
i like morahan so don't get me wrong... but wouldn't lealiifano have been a wiser choice for the call up?
isn't he injured?

Luke started full contact work a while back.
Moraghan offers a vastly superor attack, he is strong and actually has a very good rugby brain. A great finisher.

Maybe 'they' do not see LL or Hangers as test material - good s14/15 players but lack something for the higher level. Just maybe.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
he was our best back at the end of 2008 I reckon. Was looking very dangerous. And he is a natural leader with plenty of experience and rugby knowledge.

Yes, but the start of his 2008 was very average.

S

straightshooter

rugbywhisperer said:
Jets said:
Noddy said:
Others will know more than me, but I think he is a fullback/wing. I know is bro is the schoolboys fullback and that Luke has played some club at fullback this year. He played for QLD on the wing this year.
15 Morahan (Wallaby tourist)
14 Hynes (Wallaby)
13 Ioane (Wallaby)
12 Turinui (Wallaby)
11 Chambers (NRL SUPER STAR) Super star might be pushing it
10 Cooper (Wallaby)
9 Genia (Wallaby)
please ignore the forwards for now.
Morahan played quite a bit at fullback at TSS from memory. I do like the look of the backline though. Hopefully good things to come for the Reds next year.

Actually I don't recall him ever playing full back at TSS. Checked with son No 2 who played with him since age 10 and he can't think of an instance either. BUT - he would be OK, he is very solid, has a good rugby head. Don't know about his kicking game though.
I expoect him to migrate to the centres in years to come though.

Whispers
Morahan's schoolboy and prem signature play was, has been and should be in the future his chip and chase - unbelievable and soooooo successful - don't think played 15 at school either but am sure he has for Uni Club in Colts and Premier - kid is very talented, level headed and just a nice bloke but has a bit of mongrel for a winger (very unusual in itself)

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
If the Reds page is accurate he's still growing into his size.

They have him as 1.88m on their Academy page and 1.91m on their player listing.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
James Buchanan said:
If the Reds page is accurate he's still growing into his size.

They have him as 1.88m on their Academy page and 1.91m on their player listing.

By the time 3N starts next year he'll solve our lock problem. :thumb

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon there is a bit of 'lets legitimise the 7s program' with the selections of Kingi and Morahan.

O'Connor said Deans wanted it to be seen as a legitimat career path into the Wallabies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
I reckon there is a bit of 'lets legitimise the 7s program' with the selections of Kingi and Morahan.

O'Connor said Deans wanted it to be seen as a legitimat career path into the Wallabies.
Spot on Noddy.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good point Noddy - Morahan was THE star of the Australian team in the 7s comps that I watched. He scored a LOT of tries. And Kingi was the main protagonist steering them around the park.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think his youth got him in the team b4 lealiifano. He prob wont see much game time but training with the wallabies has got to be good for his developement. lealiifano would probably have gotten the call up if it was the RWC. A wise choice i think.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Seb V said:
I think his youth got him in the team b4 lealiifano. He prob wont see much game time but training with the wallabies has got to be good for his developement. lealiifano would probably have gotten the call up if it was the RWC. A wise choice i think.
Crikey! How old do you have to be to be past your used by date? Lealifano would be what, 21..22?

Status
Not open for further replies.