• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mortlock musings..

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
yet another injury for Morty.

Although minor,.. I have to think again - Is this just going to keep on happening?

Mortlock ruled out of first two Tests

October 20, 2009 - 11:57AM

Former captain Stirling Mortlock has been ruled out of the first two Tests on the Wallabies' spring tour to Japan and Europe through injury.

Mortlock has torn a calf muscle and will miss the Bledisloe Cup clash with the All Blacks in Tokyo on October 31 and the opening grand slam Test against England at Twickenham a week later.

The veteran centre will remain home to recuperate when the Wallabies fly out to Japan on Sunday and is hoping to rejoin the tour squad in time for the November 15 Test against Ireland.

Coach Robbie Deans has not sought a short term replacement with plenty of selection options in his 35-man squad.

"It's bad enough, a decent size tear in the muscle," Mortlock told reporters.

"I think realistically we're targeting being 100 per cent right by that week leading into the Ireland match.

"I'll be ready to go, don't worry about that.

"From my perspective obviously it is extremely disappointed with this news but you take it in your stride and process the information.

"The best way forward for me is getting treatment here in Australia and doing that over the next two and a half weeks... and hopefully meeting up with the team, raring to go."

The injury is another blow to Mortlock, who has just recovered from a knee injury which saw him miss the majority of the 2009 Tri Nations series.

He subsequently saw the Wallabies captaincy handed to Rocky Elsom.

Winger Drew Mitchell rolled his ankle at training on Tuesday at Sydney's Victoria Barracks but Deans said he was not at risk of missing any matches.

AAP

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rule him out.Take someone else. Cummins is injured right?

The take Tyrone Smith. Or Francis Fainifo. Or ..... actually. There's not many more. Mark McLinden? And keep AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13? With Diggers, Cross and Horne as cover.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Franky's stakes seem to have risen since he broke into the Brumbies starting 15.

I think he has some more time before he wears green and gold.. Not that I have any better suggestions.. Geeze the lining is thin at home.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
louie said:
Francis Fainifo for mine

On the basis of what?

Certainly not on his Grand final display.

Anyway we need coverage for 13 and they have Cross, Horne, Ioane & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as coverage

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
is there a slightly open door, the only man capable of pushing that door open fully and bursting though is a tah, a mighty waratah, ladies and gentlemen, put TOM CATER on the plane now!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
waratahjesus said:
is there a slightly open door, the only man capable of pushing that door open fully and bursting though is a tah, a mighty waratah, ladies and gentlemen, put TOM CATER on the plane now!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
fatprop said:
louie said:
Francis Fainifo for mine

On the basis of what?

Anyway we need coverage for 13 and they have Cross, Horne, Ioane & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as coverage

he was responsible for a randwicks second try (melroy) and scored some ripping individual tries in the final weeks of the comp. with cummins and mortlock out there's room for him. take him.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
They won't replace him. They should though and if they did it should be with Tyrone Smith - able to play 12, 13 and wing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
louie said:
fatprop said:
louie said:
Francis Fainifo for mine

On the basis of what?

he was responsible for a randwicks second try (melroy) and scored some ripping individual tries in the final weeks of the comp. with cummins and mortlock out there's room for him. take him.

Yes, he set up a try, but was a terrible, mistake riddled mess throughout that game.

Let him get a season of S14 under his belt and let him show some evidence of consistency, safety under the high ball and defensive coolness before letting him play for the Wallabies.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
louie said:
fatprop said:
louie said:
Francis Fainifo for mine

On the basis of what?

Yes, he set up a try, but was a terrible, mistake riddled mess throughout that game.

Let him get a season of S14 under his belt and let him show some evidence of consistency, safety under the high ball and defensive coolness before letting him play for the Wallabies.

He's had 2 seasons of S14 and on balance has had a good year. Cummins or Fanifo would be fine. It's not like Australia have anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.