• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mortlock OUt of EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Paris Tah said:
A world beater at 13 and one of the great Wallaby captains. Best of luck in Japan.

I dunno, he was a great 13. As a captain I wouldn't rate him up with an Eales or a Farr-Jones though. Those two within my time define what a 'great' wallaby captain is.

I don't think we've had one since Eales tbh.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Although I agree with most of what has been said, its a bit early for his obituary.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
One of the things about Mortlock is the huge respect the other teams and even fans had of him (just read the references to the "Evil Wizard" on TSF). He was a legend of a player, yet unfortunately was forced to give some gracious and humble losing speaches. Mortlock deserved better.

I think he should go to Japan and get a deserved payday and give his body a rest.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
hangers has to get the call up, guy can play 10 or 12, leaving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), diggers and cross to cover 13, he had a good super 14 and was outstanding as always at club level, guy deserves a break.

Stirlo will be missed, hope he comes back fast!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
James Buchanan said:
I dunno, he was a great 13. As a captain I wouldn't rate him up with an Eales or a Farr-Jones though. Those two within my time define what a 'great' wallaby captain is.

I don't think we've had one since Eales tbh.

And why? Because they led great teams. Gregan was a bit of a knob captain. Mortlock did a good job in challenging times.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
NTA said:
And why? Because they led great teams. Gregan was a bit of a knob captain. Mortlock did a good job in challenging times.

To be fair, while those teams were great, they as captains lifted them again. Which is what great captains do.

Mortlock hasn't ever seemed to be able to do that for mine.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Never really had a great team. I wasn't saying that those two weren't great captains, but there was a lot of right time, right place there...

Status
Not open for further replies.