• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Movie Thread

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
So I bought Dune Part 2 the day it landed on Google TV. Watched it three times so far & it fucking rocks. I can see why the purists are incenced but IMO Villneauve's work-around for the Alia problem works better than Lynch's even if it does compress the time-line. But with how it's paced the time-line almost becomes irrelevant.

Already looking forward to Messiah, even if it gets delayed until 2027 (by which time the Alia problem will have taken care of itself & the time-line can have caught up to the books if Villeneauve so chooses). The book being so slim I wonder if/ hope he will incorporate Children into it & I wouldn't mind if he tacks on a shot or two of Leto II post-transformation. But that's where it should end.
When I saw it in the theatre I drank my frozen coke way too fast and sat absolutely busting for about 2 hours because it was too good to get up for even a minute.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Dune 2 is a masterpiece IMHO. Yes it takes some liberties with the source material, but all movie adaptations do that. At it's core though it's pretty faithful to Frank Herbert's vision and 100% reinforces the message to be wary of charismatic leaders. I can't wait for Messiah either.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Saw The Taste of Things yesterday. Brilliant, utterly brilliant. Two suggestions: watch it after lunch, not before. And don't go if you're intending to go on a diet.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Saw The Taste of Things yesterday. Brilliant, utterly brilliant. Two suggestions: watch it after lunch, not before. And don't go if you're intending to go on a diet.
Dunno, took mum to watch it after lunch and she promptly fell asleep for half of it.

An unapologetically French film that flirts with the ridiculous at times but very enjoyable.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I enjoyed Luca Guadagnino's latest installment of homoerotic eye candy in Challengers. He really went for it this time, all the suggestive placements of bananas, racquets and churros made me think I was watching Austin Powers.

Fun music, hot people, made tennis look slightly cool. Happy for Zendaya to actually have some space to act after Dune I & II.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I enjoyed Luca Guadagnino's latest installment of homoerotic eye candy in Challengers. He really went for it this time, all the suggestive placements of bananas, racquets and churros made me think I was watching Austin Powers.

Fun music, hot people, made tennis look slightly cool. Happy for Zendaya to actually have some space to act after Dune I & II.
I had massive issues with that film but I do accept I’m in the minority here as it is getting rave reviews.

My issue stems from the fact that the film’s supposition is that tennis is a sport where the two opponents are briefly in some form of transcendent relationship that surpasses all of the normal life bullshit but my experience in tennis (I still play every week) is that it is an insular sport for people who hate themselves too much to care about the person on the other side of the net. You’re supposed to just get angrier and angrier until you quit for a month and then come crawling back.

It seemed edgy to me for the film to say most of the people out there don’t even know what the real sex is, this is the real sex. If that’s the case let me tell you I’ve had a lot of real sex and it SUCKS.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I had massive issues with that film but I do accept I’m in the minority here as it is getting rave reviews.

My issue stems from the fact that the film’s supposition is that tennis is a sport where the two opponents are briefly in some form of transcendent relationship that surpasses all of the normal life bullshit but my experience in tennis (I still play every week) is that it is an insular sport for people who hate themselves too much to care about the person on the other side of the net. You’re supposed to just get angrier and angrier until you quit for a month and then come crawling back.

It seemed edgy to me for the film to say most of the people out there don’t even know what the real sex is, this is the real sex. If that’s the case let me tell you I’ve had a lot of real sex and it SUCKS.
Aha I respect the passion. Guadagnino has said that he doesn't even like tennis or watches it which is what you might be feeling. I think it was quite silly and shouldn't be analysed too much. Enjoyed the sound track though.