• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just a few thoughts.

35 super players times 5 Super sides is 175 players.

Take away 16 players times 9 NRC sides leaves us with only 31, which is probably the Wallaby squad.

Given Injuries, management, and players who are leaving (e,g, Mowen) potentially not participating, the numbers looking an awful lot more like 10-12, maybe 13 rather than 16.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would like to propose a name which is evocative of the Sydney University and Balmain areas and their historic associations with colonial days. That name is the Sydney Coves.

Call me weird, but I love the name.

Agree with the criticism of whingers. We can almost guarantee that it won't be perfect in Year 1 but it will be a start.

Criticism of rushing it through is more valid (and the reason for it was probably waiting to get the broadcaster to underwrite it). But if it was left to 2015 these same people would complain about the stupidity of starting it in a RWC year—just as they did last time.

Law changes

As I wrote in the New Aussie Competitions blog in January:
There should be nothing in NRC law variations that enable players to duck physical contests or to avoid the technical requirements they will need in future rugby.

But, as others have mentioned, there should be a law variation to reduce the time to take kicks at goal.

I postulated in the blog that 45 seconds should be the maximum time allowed. People who object to that as impossible should think "What if $10,000 was given for every credible attempt at goal made in 45 seconds". They would realise that it is possible, after all.

(No, don't mention why the $10K idea would be a bad thing—it's not the point.)

The other harmless change I would like to see is the abolition of the "numbers" law in the lineout. People said in 2007 that this ELV for the ARC was harmful and gave some elegant reasons why.

I watched a heap of ARC games, live, on TV or from back-channel recordings looking at this matter and the nice objections to the "no numbers" ELV were not validated.

Instead we saw the retention of another reason to stop the game.

Was that not a bad thing?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Just a few thoughts.

35 super players times 5 Super sides is 175 players.

Take away 16 players times 9 NRC sides leaves us with only 31, which is probably the Wallaby squad.

Given Injuries, management, and players who are leaving (e,g, Mowen) potentially not participating, the numbers looking an awful lot more like 10-12, maybe 13 rather than 16.
Yeah, but that's okay.

All the Super players (that are still contracted) should be linked with an NRC team IMO, even if some won't play.

The ones that don't make it just give a few more up-and-comers a chance.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The GSRs have embraced the 3rd tier concept enthusiastically, as did the WSRs. And, it would seem, so has the North Harbour consortium. One of my contacts at West Harbour advised me they were working on a submission last year as soon as the new comp was mooted. Eastwood, Parra and Penrith were on board from the first meeting, Southern Districts were late starters as they missed out on a partner when the eastern suburbs musical chairs game finished.

Lindo, tell your contacts at wests to give belly from the two blues the job so I get my job working under him!

Indeed as far as I'm aware working with the rams for the last couple of months (for free however) they've been tremendously progressive in their thinking. There's a story floating around that at one of the meetings they had the said to keep all club colours at the door. Someone turned up from souths with a southern shirt on and his boss made him strip down out of it for the meeting!

should better spend your time on the following:

A) Buying a Super Rugby membership if you don't already have one;
B) Getting onto the twitter feed of your new NRC club to voice your support; and
C) Quietly throw a few questions out to said twitter feed about how to get membership and show some support for the club

I disagree with wholesale rule changes, unless they're sanctioned by the IRB - who yes are a pack of useless old colostomy bags, but still hold the reins. A couple of small ones for the first season just to open the window and let the air in might be nice.

So put down the cheese and whine, because quite frankly if we don't get this one running then you can fucking forget about rugby as a growth sport in Australia.

Regards,

Rams #1 Member.

I can tell you Pfitzy has been leading by example on twitter!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
So have we worked out a name yet for the mighty Country+ex pats team. Cockatoos would be great but for some reason its a no no for some.
Lets keep everyone happy we could call them the "galloping green beastly bunyips".
.need an association between the country and the Eastern suburbs..we could call ourselves" the Landrovers" I suppose...tata sponsor all things Rugby..has to work doesnt it?? :)

They're said to be calling themselves the breakers.....not sure about it, see what they do.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
They're said to be calling themselves the breakers...not sure about it, see what they do.
Well that would really please the country lads on here...:eek:.
East coast breakers????...ok for Newcastle Coffs Wgong etc ..not sure the props swinging into Dams from ropes create Breakers...:)

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Instead we saw the retention of another reason to stop the game.

Was that not a bad thing?

I like the idea but not the application, I'd rather see the time for kicks/scrums/line outs added at the end of the half (like football), This would help extend the players fitness.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There will be some competition for this claim.

Should be auctioned with money donated to charity.

As anyone following the Rams will know already - I have offered to scrum everyone for the right. They can sell tickets and donate that in addition to my payment.

I feel a costume is in order once I start attending games...

images

I will be the High Wizard of Rugby.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would like to propose a name which is evocative of the Sydney University and Balmain areas and their historic associations with colonial days. That name is the Sydney Coves. There are good reasons for the choice:
  • The site of Australia's first European settlement was Sydney Cove within walking distance of both the Uni and Balmain;
  • "Coves" is distinctive and not used by any other sporting team anywhere;
  • At the time of the formation of the Sydney Uni club and the original Balmain club, the word "cove" was in everyday usage meaning a bloke or a chap.
Call me weird, but I love the name.
Actually, LG, so do I. You may have detected that my post was to some extent tongue-in-cheek, but the more I have reflected on it the more I think it would really work for each of the reasons highlighted.

You have the combination of two clubs whose roots trace back to colonial times, so both of the historical links, to the first European settlement and to 19th Century English and Australian vernacular, are apposite. Then there is the idea of "Coves" as a coinage, a word which would have no actual meaning to most people but which is simple, memorable and distinctive.

The name would certainly be well in front of the cringe-worthy "Stars".

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
One of the key differences with the old ARC in 2007 is the use of social media and forums like this in discussing the NRC within the rugby community. Hopefully this alone will mean the NRC makes a bigger splash than the ARC did, at least among the rugby community. I'm more excited for the NRC than I was for the ARC because I'm hearing more people talk it up and explain how it will work, etc, etc. I really love the idea of a national comp to call our own. The one game a week may have even just tipped me over to get Fox.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
As anyone following the Rams will know already - I have offered to scrum everyone for the right. They can sell tickets and donate that in addition to my payment.

I feel a costume is in order once I start attending games.

images

I will be the High Wizard of Rugby.
hhmmmmm all I can think of is...."just one goat.." :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.