• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Social media stats of the teams so far:

Team - Facebook likes / Twitter followers

Rising - 1,101 / 410
Vikings - 1,095 / n/a
Rams - 831 / 489
Rays - 691 / 396
Stars - 599 / 337
Eagles - 237 / 58
Spirit - n/a / 349
Brisbane City - n/a / 100
QLD Country - n/a / 106

I'm sure this will change a lot once the competition and all the teams are officially launched but interesting to see. Pretty small numbers so far on the whole, though a lot of teams haven't really done much yet. A lot of work to be done to increase the visibility of the competition and the teams!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just read that the spirit will play the Rams in Adelaide on sept 6.

I understand they are trying to grow rugby there and that SA was not happy when then missed out on a team.

But I'm really annoyed that we lose one of our Home games considering there are only 4 it's a kick in the gut to lose one.

And by the looks if it the spirit will play in SA before they have played a game on Perth great work ARU.........

T

Train Without a Station

That's ridiculous that SA weren't happy about missing out on a team. I'd be surprised if a single player was even bench quality and therefore they would either get flogged, or have to relocate grade players in addition to professional players. From a logistical perspective it would not have worked at all unless they somehow had funds to house all professional players, as well as provide employment, payment and accommodation for the additional players.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Does anyone have a summary of the colours that the teams will be wearing, this is one area which concerns me.. Brand recognition, this competition/teams should really reach out for some rather unique colours or designs to stand out and differentiate themselves from other competitions.

Cricket Australia had the right approach by dictating team colours as to avoid clashes, am i right in believing that the majority of NRC teams will have blue in their uniform somehow? At the very least their should have been some sort of deconfliction process.

BBL colours:
BBL%2003%20Captains.336x224.jpg

Alright heres the colours:

Brisbane city - Gold with blue trim
Qld Country - Blue (possibly purple added in)
Perth Spirit - Black and Gold
Rising - Pink and electric blue
Eagles - Black and orangey yellow (probably majoritively orange)
Vikings - Red and white
Rams - Orange and blue (jerseys are dark blue with white and a dash of orange this season to avoid clashes with eagles)
Rays - Red, white, Green and blue
Stars - Black, blue and gold

Summarising:

4 teams with a gold
6 teams with blue
3 teams with both black and gold in their colours
2 teams with red and white in their colours

The ARU will probably have them evolve their colours next year as they now know that the licence means getting jersey designs from the ARU and Asics with little consent. With those teams there's a few things I would change and I would also force traditional style shirts on all of them (this hasn't happened) with harlequin, single colour or thin/thick hoops.

Here is how it should have looked:

Brisbane city - Gold with maroon trim
Qld Country - purple with blue
Eagles - majoritively black with green and yellow trim
Vikings - Red and white
Rams - Orange and blue (jerseys are dark blue with white and a dash of orange this season to avoid clashes with eagles)
Rays - Green and blue

T

Train Without a Station

I see the Brisbane City gold being more of a clash than the QLD Country blue really.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Did the ARU make them play the game there or is this some sort of RugbyWA initiative?
I'm not sure it was just written that the game will be played in sa.

I'm not sure rugby wa would be keen on giving a game away considering the costs involved.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So much for Country playing home games in regional centres. Hope this is not indicative of the control that Randwick may have over the team

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
They are playing one game in Sydney and the other games in Dubbo, Orange and Lismore. A few other locations have expressed an interest in hosting games in 2015.

T

Train Without a Station

The article clearly states that the location was only set in Sydney from previously TBA after they discovered there were zero games in Sydney that weekend. Considering it's a TV game too seems reasonable enough as the country locations aren't expected to be broadcast ready.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Alright heres the colours:

Brisbane city - Gold with blue trim
Qld Country - Blue (possibly purple added in)
Eagles - Black and orangey yellow (probably majoritively orange)
Vikings - Red and white
Rays - Red, white, Green and blue

Summarising:

4 teams with a gold
6 teams with blue
3 teams with both black and gold in their colours
2 teams with red and white in their colours

The ARU will probably have them evolve their colours next year as they now know that the licence means getting jersey designs from the ARU and Asics with little consent. With those teams there's a few things I would change and I would also force traditional style shirts on all of them (this hasn't happened) with harlequin, single colour or thin/thick hoops.

Here is how it should have looked:

Brisbane city - Gold with maroon trim
Qld Country - purple with blue
Eagles - majoritively black with green and yellow trim
Vikings - Red and white
Rays - Green and blue

I don't see the big deal, It is more important that teams pick colours that are respectful to their host city colours or the clubs that own the stakes in them rather than worrying about everyone having to be unique. Brisbane City are doing it right with their colours being the official colours of Brisbane, Melbourne Rising on the other hand are just being daft to look unique. Anyway, there is a reason why we have away jerseys.

Status
Not open for further replies.