• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It depends on what Jim means by infrastructure as well, is he talking about physical infrastructure in the form of gym upgrades, equipment, training gear etc, or is he referring to the coaching/management staff..

Because one is one off capital investment and the other is an ongoing cost.

You'd imagine the QRU are able to run the teams at a much cheaper cost due to existing resources and economies of scale, so It makes me wonder what the cost of some of those Sydney teams will be.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Shute Shield clubs would prevent it from working in Sydney. Clubs like Eastwood want to be in charge but don't want to pay for the privilege.

I think they're happy to pay, they're just not happy to risk. I further suspect my comment about them throwing the toys out the pram due to Millner not being the home ground are accurate.

Firstly, it needs infrastructure upgrades, and they'd be hoping any gate takings and bar takings could help fund that. Secondly, yes they want to be in charge, seeing themselves as the first among equals in that five-club consortium.

I'd like to see Pappy et al come crawling back next year if its a success. In fact I've got the calendar booked with all the games so I can do my part in making it a success just to see that :)

Its probably my western suburbs bias, but it really seems like Parra and Penrith are the driving force behind this team, and while West Harbour are happy to help, they would have maybe liked to hook up with Balmuni at Leichardt given the proximity.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I love my club rugby but Eastwood can go and get fucked and their players should not be allowed to play in the Greater Sydney team.
You can't have your cake and eat it. They are about to get a $20 million Centre of Excellence for fuck sake.

T

Train Without a Station

And punish the Rams too but limiting their potential selection pool. As talent slowly drifts from Eastwood whilst their relevance diminishes, they will be punished enough.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have no doubt the $1million referred to includes things like:

40 hours of training @ Ballymore @ $100/hour = $4000
Head of Marketing @ 3 hours per week @ $100/hour = XXX
etc etc

Existing costs and absorbed costs all added together as if you were to start from completely nothing, so to speak.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Re: Eastwood, Pappy has been pretty vocal in his dislike of the NRC concept and I get the strong feeling that he's "talking his book" here.

I'd like to know what his alternative is though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't see an issue in the Rams saying to the Eastwood players that we'll look at you, but only if you are substantially better than any other option we have.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yes punish the players for the decision of the board of the club.
It's not punishment.
It's untenable that the Woods gain more out of the Western Sydney franchise than the Clubs that fund it.
No doubt,if the competition gets off the ground,the Woodies will have no choice but to get on board.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't see an issue with the Rams also saying we'll look at you, but only if you're playing for Parramatta, Penrith, West Harbour or Southern Districts next year.

T

Train Without a Station

ILTW, so you think the Rams would happily just have inferior players out of spite? Seems reasonable.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
In the long term,it's not spite,it's reality.
Many of these Western Sydney Clubs have a negative net worth.
They can't afford to subsidise more successful clubs.
The difference in cattle is neglible.
For example I have previously suggested that the Woodies centres are the best combination in the comp.
But Western Sydney can field Savea from Wests & the giant from Parra.
So on that basis, what have they lost?
In any event,that is not how they are looking at it this year.
Signing Swanipoel demonstrates that they are not looking at where the players are from.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a catch 22 for the Rams.

Picking a vastly inferior side just so they don't use Eastwood players would be a bit silly as that will effect both their on and off field results.

Just because Eastwood doesn't want to be involved doesn't mean all their supporters feel exactly the same way. If a few Eastwood players were in the side it would both improve the team and encourage more Eastwood fans to attend games.

There's also no indication that Eastwood wouldn't want to be involved next year. Surely it couldn't have been a unanimous decision from their board to drop out of the Rams. Maybe those who convinced others that they shouldn't be involved will turn out to be wrong and Eastwood will try and rejoin the Rams next year?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the issue is that Eastwood realised they might be liable for significantly more than their share if things fell apart(joint and several liabilities) in this initial year.

The main coach is the Woodies coach.
He will be picking plenty of his players,put money on it.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
As it seems likely Karmichael Hunt is going to sign for the Reds do you think it's possible we might see him play a couple of games in the NRC this year?

The last Suns game of the season is on the 29th of August, which coincides with round 2 of the NRC. He hasn't played much this year so it's not like he'll be in desperate need of a rest.

No doubt any games he did play would get broadcast by Fox Sports.

T

Train Without a Station

And he would have just finished a 22 game season, not a 14 game season

T

TOCC

He hasn't played a 22 game season, I think his only made a handful of appearances so far..

But QWERTY is right, his S&C would be out, they might have him train with the teams to work on the tactical aspect but can't see him playing

T

Train Without a Station

He's not sitting around playing with himself the weeks he doesn't get picked. Trains all week then plays NEAFL. Has missed about 6 weeks through injury thoughZ

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Re: Eastwood, Pappy has been pretty vocal in his dislike of the NRC concept and I get the strong feeling that he's "talking his book" here.

I'd like to know what his alternative is though.
The same as Poido: "Club Rugby provided us with Wallabies in the past. Throw more money at us!"

Status
Not open for further replies.