• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

A degree of caution between the Randwick and UNSW proposed JV needs to be taken. Sydney Uni can demonstrate they are able to meet every requirement of a team in this comp already barring a ground suitable for broadcasting.

Nobody knows how the JV will go, if it will be successful, what UNSW are bringing to the table, etc. Sure Randwick have thrown a Uni's name in there. But what's their history with High Performance programs, etc.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
SU is more than some smart dudes in a gym.
What they have,wasn't done in an off season.They have strong supporters from decision makers in many different areas of the University,and in Business.
UNSW don't even have an off season to try and start the replication process.
They are starting from a zero base.Unless they are prepared to tip in a sneaky couple of hungy a year,the JV will go broke before any potential programs bear any fruit.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I have heard that there is quite a powerful push for a Country team, with a few backers willing to front up $$$ to make it happen. If this is the case then I think the logistical issues pointed out here may well be ignored.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They're going to call the team 'Country Ewe-nited'

Back in the good old, bad old, days, some of the bigger properties in the State could probably have put a team of their on the paddock. Those were the days when Country used to beat City fairly often.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
From the outset I could think of a number of cashed up businesses that would want to create "good will" in the bush:
  1. SANTOS, over coal seam gas.
  2. CMD over its attempt to buy Graincorp (already a Country sponsor).
  3. POSCO in the Southern Highlands over coal mining.
  4. Any Hunter Valley open cut mine.
  5. Any Chinese agriculture company wanting to buy NSW farm land.
  6. A lot of the business people in the bush are strong rugby supporters from way back, and many have made a lot of money and kept quite about it. The ones you see on TV are the one loosing money the others keep their months shut.
The "logistic" issue has always been BS, the team will be based in Sydney and they'll hire a bus 4 to 5 times in a year for home games. It's not that difficult to hire a bus, you use these new fangled things called a telephone and Sharleene puts you through to Davo at the bus company (I don't know why Turnbull wants to shut it down).
The players will be sourced the same way all the other teams source their players (maybe they'll have had to have gone on a picnic to the country once or visited a Vineyard somewhere).

If home games are played: 1 in Wollongong (WIN stadium) 1 in Gosford (Bluetongue) 1 in Newcastle (Waratah) 1-2 floaters, then you won't have any trouble getting 5000 to each game, as each local rugby community will get behind its' once a year game (we had well over 2000 last year to the Illawarra U17s grand final).

My big concern with a Country team was always that I didn't think the NSWCRU were up for it, and wanted to wait and see. Perhaps someone has made an offer they can't refuse.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The "logistic" issue has always been BS, the team will be based in Sydney and they'll hire a bus 4 to 5 times in a year for home games. It's not that difficult to hire a bus, you use these new fangled things called a telephone and Sharleene puts you through to Davo at the bus company (I don't know why Turnbull wants to shut it down).

Is that similar to a wireless (not wi-fi)?

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
You city slickers you don't know anything.

You listen to "the Land" on the wireless to get the beef, lamb and wheat prices, and Country and Western music.

You use the telephone to talk to a particular person, then Sharleene tells everybody in town what you talked about (that bit is wireless). That's how it works in country towns and that's how we can get a good turn out to rugby games.

T

Train Without a Station

Hughie what you said about logistics and how the team will be based and trained is right. Which gets back to my point. If there's concern about people not supporting Sydney based teams because no players from a certain suburb involved, how will this completely crocked up "country" team go?

NQ Cowboys works in the NRL because it is based solely in Townsville and drawing support from the surrounding region in an authentic manner. Much of the recruitment comes from the area (Local Q Cup).

This has a completely fake feel about it.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
They maybe a completely fake team but they will be OUR completely fake team and NOT a Sydney team, we have goodies and badies. AND each venue will only get one game a year so you only have to rev. up the locals once a year.

I'm going down to WIN stadium this Sunday to watch the JGC Illawarra vs Northern Sydney because I want support our boys against the evil city boys (I'm sure they're not really evil).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wonder then if the ARU will have a close eye on the Tahs vs Clan game in Newcastle this week. Apparently ticket sales have been a little slow. A small crowd might hurt the chances of a Hunter/Country side.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
They maybe a completely fake team but they will be OUR completely fake team and NOT a Sydney team, we have goodies and badies. AND each venue will only get one game a year so you only have to rev. up the locals once a year.

I'm going down to WIN stadium this Sunday to watch the JGC Illawarra vs Northern Sydney because I want support our boys against the evil city boys (I'm sure they're not really evil).

45290758.jpg

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
A degree of caution between the Randwick and UNSW proposed JV needs to be taken. Sydney Uni can demonstrate they are able to meet every requirement of a team in this comp already barring a ground suitable for broadcasting.

Nobody knows how the JV will go, if it will be successful, what UNSW are bringing to the table, etc. Sure Randwick have thrown a Uni's name in there. But what's their history with High Performance programs, etc.

Dear Train,
with respect, nobody other than the ARU knows how any of the bids are going to go at the new 3T level or what they are all bringing to the table.
What the ARU have done is to invite all comers to strut their stuff, ie to make submissions. That happens a a lot in commerce. Typically an
evaluation panel then review the submissions and undertake due diligence. If they like most parts of a bid they usually liaise and work out whether that Consortia can improve or overcome their short comings.
I agree that caution needs to be taken.
As best I can tell, Randwick have been working to this for 2 years. UNSW first sponsored Randwick at the Singapore 7s in 2012. I reckon the ARU will know what all parties are bringing to the table.
If you add more "ifs" into the scenario, of course you can construct any outcome you wish to dream up. For example, if Jeff Sayle insists on playing again Randwick will not have hope....
I am just happy that there is a positive move to improve Rugby in Australia. With positive momentum, changes can be made and errors corrected. Before this was announced, we were all whinging that it was going backwards. I don't think Pulver will start this without a high level of confirnace that it will last.
Get ready to enjoy the Rugby and to barracking for Randwick. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.