• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Regions are irrelevant to a degree. The players available in the whole city is the issue.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have a look at their roster,ignoring Kellaway the rest are much closer to the end of their careers than the start of it.
So in terms of development they would not be missed if they were axed next year.

There's plenty of others besides Kellaway..

Miller, Gray, Chubb, Ala'alatoa, Dalziel, Weeks, Matwijow, Windsor, Snowden, Horwitz, Watene-Zelezniak, Ford

T

TOCC

In thinking long term, developing a following and leveraging existing links to the geographical community that the team represents, i would have preferred to see a joint venture of Randwick, Easts and Sydney University.

Whilst i admire the attempts to create links to the 'country' through the NSW and QLD Country teams, i can't see them generating a long term following. I don't think 1 game/year in Lismore/Townsville/Dubbo/Orange is going to cement the respective Country side as a big event on the calendar.

Im happy to be proven wrong, the NSW Country Eagles team sure has been a success on the field.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not convinced Country will be more successful each team playing a fixture in a certain region annually. But didn't it all come about due to Randwick's unwillingness to work with others?

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
I suppose after this competition finishes the appropriate people will do the sums and weigh up how successful it was and it will be interesting to see their opinions. I personally think it will take some time to convert sponsors ,spectators & naysayers. I am just happy to see players going around together from JID, Premier, SS, ESP' groups, S15 & Test level. It gives the best tangible indication of what we do have in the rugby pool here in Aus which can only be good for the players and the game. It's been all good for me so far. It's not all about SS clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't think there needs to be less teams in NSW. The Sydney teams have been losing, sure, but they've all been competitive.

The only change I'd like to see is for the Sydney Stars to become an inner west PLUS eastern suburbs team. I know that Randwick would like their own team but I think that would be a bad move.

Are you suggesting that the Beasts should join the Sydney Stars. Wouldn't that lead to Randwick being on their own, which you said would be a bad move.

Please explain.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
There needs to be some re-arrangement in the Sydney teams so that the Beasts and/or Randwick go somewhere sensible. Southern could also be switched around (e.g. to Country).

Another Sydney / NSW team at this point (which some were suggesting earlier in the expansion thread) would be out of the question - 4 of the 5 Sydney teams would be in the bottom 5 year in year out.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've been thinking about how the changed points structure might or might not have impacted match scores so I've done the math & found that the 13 matches to date have averaged 55.7 points.

By comparison, the 30 ITM Cup matches to date are averaging 49.7 so it seems to me that if the purpose of changing the points structure was to produce a more entertaining style of footy, it hasn't really worked to any great degree.

T

Train Without a Station

It's a pointless exercise. Right now almost all games are blow outs. As long as games are blowouts when teams decline shots at goal they will never be accused of leaving points on the park because the decisions haven't affected the result. Whilst there's not attention on it teams will never have the mind set of needing to take the points on offer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Defences are also better in ITM Cup because they are generally getting a longer preseason, and are a higher skill level overall.

The Rising are having a minor effect with their big scores every week in a for-game comp. Imagine if the Crusaders played in the ITM cup?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Unfortunately what will happen is we will get to a world cup final have to kick one from 40 metres out on the side line to win and no one will have bothered to kick them..
Point 1: Very few Wobbly players participate in the NRC.
Point 2: What was the last play that the Waratahss played,that actually won the fucking comp!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.