• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Any ideas on when Asics is going to release NRC replica jerseys? That BrisCity alternate strip looks the goods!
Not sure if you'll be able to get your hands on the alternate strip. Probably only around 25 of them in existence.

The home jerseys were meant to be available around now so maybe in the merch store at Ballymore for next game.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
(from The Roar) potentially positive developments:

Brett McKay said | September 15th 2014 @ 10:18am​

A couple of updates re live streaming:​

- the Rams tell me they were really happy with BAR TV, and will certainly looking to have them involved for the remaining games, and​

- the Qld Reds tell me their looking at trialling commentary on their feeds, too, starting with the City-Country game in Round 6.​

This is all on the back of how coverage has been received on social media, and on rugby forums like this, so rest assured the clubs, if not the ARU, are listening to what fans want..​

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
rugby has been great so far, the refs are annoying me though. Not because of their decision making but because of their positional play, it has been bloody shocking!! The number of times they get in the way of players is astounding. It doesn't happen at super level and I haven't noticed it at shute shield level, don't see why it should be happening at the level inbetween the two

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
rugby has been great so far, the refs are annoying me though. Not because of their decision making but because of their positional play, it has been bloody shocking!! The number of times they get in the way of players is astounding. It doesn't happen at super level and I haven't noticed it at shute shield level, don't see why it should be happening at the level inbetween the two
been seeing and thinking the same thing.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

It's a big step up in speed of the game for them and even the professionals like Steve Walsh have been blowing hard by the end of games. It'll definitely get better overtime, things like improved refs are some of the fringe benefits for Australian rugby from this comp.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
(from The Roar) potentially positive developments:

Brett McKay said | September 15th 2014 @ 10:18am​

A couple of updates re live streaming:​

- the Rams tell me they were really happy with BAR TV, and will certainly looking to have them involved for the remaining games, and​

- the Qld Reds tell me their looking at trialling commentary on their feeds, too, starting with the City-Country game in Round 6.​

This is all on the back of how coverage has been received on social media, and on rugby forums like this, so rest assured the clubs, if not the ARU, are listening to what fans want..​

As long as any Steve Walsh match gets the feed directly from his mic I'll be happy!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
After Rd 5: Melbourne Rising (still at full speed)

yeYarw1.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right up until another **** comes along and decides to do something else.

But if they want Pulver, they have to go through Pfitzy...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I wasn't heavily interested in rugby when the ARC was around in 2007. Could someone enlighten me about how the NRC compares? Was it a surprise when it was scrapped? Is the NRC significantly better in any way?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I wasn't heavily interested in rugby when the ARC was around in 2007. Could someone enlighten me about how the NRC compares? Was it a surprise when it was scrapped? Is the NRC significantly better in any way?
The NRC is way more financially stable.

T

Train Without a Station

Tighter budget, better planned teams (names and locations), more input from club rugby and the franchises.

Quality is about the same.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dunno if I'd call the Sydney Stars participation any better planned than 2007. And letting Uni get their way here effectively left Southern Districts like a shag on a rock. But playing the Rays at Brookvale Oval's a shitload better than trekking up to Gosford. The two Queensland sides, Canberra, Melbourne and Perth are pretty similar to the 2007 versions.

Had a chat with Rob Clarke at Orange on Saturday, the VRU/Rebels/Rising are very conscious of budgets and financial responsibility this time round. It'd seem he's like most sensible rugby supporters and wants to see the NRC carry on for many years to come.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2007 ARC had Uni/Easts/Wicks/Hobbits playing out of North Sydney Oval as Sydney Fleet.

HTF they expected the Hobbits supporters to cross two (2) bridges into enemy territory, and the Beasties and Wicks faithful to cross one bridge for a home game beggars belief. Probably a stitch up by the Uni supporting Mosman residents.

At least this time round, Beastie supporters get to wear their RM's, and there is limited bridge crossings for the Latte set from Bondi, Coogee and Cronulla. Buildcorp will do what they want, and good on them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One of the main differences between ARC and NRC is the process that led to the establishment of each and the teams/franchises.

In the ARC the ARU in cahoots with the NSWRU gave Sydney rugby supporters the finger and told us what was going to happen whether we liked it or not. To that end the NSWRU onsold on licence to Melbourne, then the Sydney clubs were grouped into:

Sydney North Rays (Manly Warringah Norths & Gordon) playing out of Gosford

Sydney South Fleet (Uni, Easts, Souths Randwick) aka the Coalition of the Unwilling, playing out of North Sydney (sounds like a Monty Python sketch doesn't it?)

Sydney West Rams (Parra, Penrith, Wests & Eastwood) playing out of Parra Stadium. It's no co-incidence that this was the one which had the most community support. Funny that.

The powers that be (ARU/NSWRU) also selected the coach, players and support staff for every team.

This time around the ARU called for expressions of interest and allowed teams to sort themselves out. Whilst this was a little more messy, it's worked better because it gave people ownership and community input.

Funnily enough, most of the joint ventures sorted themselves out. The Sydney Rugby community was fairly evenly divided over whether Uni should stand alone - problem solved by a marriage of convenience with Balmain.

The only disappointment from my pespective was that Randwick and Easts couldn't put past differences behind them. Randwick wanting to play in Green jumpers at Coogee Oval a major impediment, but I'm sure there were others. This left Souths somewhat isolated, but they were accomodated into the Rams JV with the western clubs.

Each team appointed its own coach, selected its own players etc.

So from a Sydney perspective it's chalk and cheese between the two competitions.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
It also helps that we now have a Melbourne based Super Rugby team to use for players. In the ARC all the players had to be flown in IIRC and this cost money.

Melbourne burnt through a lot of cash last time and are still recovering in some respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.