• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Got me going on my Monty Python Quote of the day about the Yellow Cards, naughty boys and their mothers. This time from the Life of Brian. The followers have tracked Brian back to his house and are in "discussion" with Brian's mother, Mandy:

MANDY: Now, you listen here! He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! Now, go away!

FOLLOWERS: Who are you?!

MANDY: I'm his mother. That's who.

FOLLOWERS: Behold His mother! Behold His mother! Hail to thee, mother of Brian! Blessed art thou, Hosanna! All praise to thee, now and always!
sounds more like a rugby mum than "a little development ref"! Maybe that should be there new nicknames for this group of refs, Team Mandy or is that Jamie McGregor??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nothing wrong with the refs.

This tournament is being used to upskill them. There appears to be plenty of refereee mentoring and coaching going on. They seem fairly consistent. Upsetting one eyed coaches and managers as always. Players seem to not be getting too upset with them.

Are you from Newington and expecting Nigel Owens?:)

Still very impressed how whomever responsible managed to pull that one off, and I takes me hat off to them.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Got me going on my Monty Python Quote of the day about the Yellow Cards, naughty boys and their mothers. This time from the Life of Brian. The followers have tracked Brian back to his house and are in "discussion" with Brian's mother, Mandy:

MANDY: Now, you listen here! He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! Now, go away!

FOLLOWERS: Who are you?!

MANDY: I'm his mother. That's who.

FOLLOWERS: Behold His mother! Behold His mother! Hail to thee, mother of Brian! Blessed art thou, Hosanna! All praise to thee, now and always!

Edit: Forgot to acknowledge the source: http://www.montypython.net/brianmm2.php

Too funny. I am eternally grateful they do NOT announce who receives YC like they do the tries....as this was his FIRST ever in his 8 yrs of rugby. And WILL be his last whilst his mother is present...Yes Hail the Holy Mum s....

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
PS was not having a dig at the ref s as these tournaments are very valuable in upskilling future refs and increasing their confidence and knowledge of the game. Yet to meet a ref that is able to please all the spectators watching!!!

V

Vinez2325

Sydney Juniors v ACT

Tonga was replaced early for Sydney with a back complaint after being seeing no game time yesterday(someone needs to look at his commitment to the team).

Russell F.

S

scrum

This tournament is being used to upskill them. There appears to be plenty of refereee mentoring and coaching going on. They seem fairly consistent. Upsetting one eyed coaches and managers as always. Players seem to not be getting too upset with them.

Still very impressed how whomever responsible managed to pull that one off, and I takes me hat off to them.

These refs are making out of line decisions because of the pressure they are recieving while being assessed. A red and yellow card for chop tackles come on seriously. It's common knowledge around the ranks of junior club rugby that when ever there is a driving spear tackle its a red card. If these refs where not so focused on the ruck (which they still can't referee properly) and the general game letting it to flow like running rugby will be more enjoyable for the players and spectators.

But while these refs crumble under the pressure of being assessed, these decisions will still be made

V

Vinez2325

Not sure who or where you got your info from, but Tonga was not replaced due to a back complaint. He was just interchanged with some1 else which I was kinda surprise as he was only there for a short time. You were saying that he didn't get a run yesterday YES you are very correct.....Y do u think that was?????? Y don't u ask the coach why my son was never put on:( U want to look at his commitment???? I'll you he is very committed more than u know. He trains as hard as any other kid when he's @ training & he does his own almost 5 days a week. You think he wanted to sit on the sideline ALL day? You think we wanted to have time off work n families coming from afar to watch him sit outside????? Hell no....but what can we do???? We don't make the decisions on who gets on. So we his parents n families who travel to come n watch him sat there n watch the rest of the team while my son was sitting outside. I wanted him 2 come home with us when I finally saw him sad n upset:( but he insisted that he would stay because he was going to get more game time....So they told him after....Yep so much for game time=)
My son is VERY committed & no one including you is going to suggest that he's not. Maybe next time try asking.....better yet you should've ask Tonga why he was not put on yesterday.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
People say "let the game flow" as if the way to have a free flowing game is to be more lenient at the rucks, when it fact the opposite is true. If you aren't strict at the ruck in a competitive game, the defending team will just slow the ball down all game and use their hands in the ruck at every opportunity.

As far as I know, the referees they send to these tournaments are going to be well over-qualified to referee 16's games. So I doubt you are going to have refs all over the shot blowing up penalties for things with no material effect just to "look impressive" (because that doesn't look good). But in the 16's state champs I wouldn't be surprised if the occasion gets to the players' and they become unfocused, resulting in a higher than avg penalty count. It's just a by-product of rep footy.

At the end of the day if the players honestly don't know what is expected of them in terms of compliance with the laws, then something needs to be done. (and this is most likely just as much of a coaching issue). But if that isn't the case, all you are left with is endless whinging from spectators, which just detracts from the actual occasion. And is what this thread will potentially descend into, not that I'm surprised.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These refs are making out of line decisions because of the pressure they are recieving while being assessed. A red and yellow card for chop tackles come on seriously. It's common knowledge around the ranks of junior club rugby that when ever there is a driving spear tackle its a red card. If these refs where not so focused on the ruck (which they still can't referee properly) and the general game letting it to flow like running rugby will be more enjoyable for the players and spectators.

But while these refs crumble under the pressure of being assessed, these decisions will still be made

These are fairly sweeping statements you have made. You are obviously knowledgeable about the processes involved. Out of curiosity, have you qualified as a Referee or Referee Coach?

......and before you ask, yes I have ARU certification in both areas.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Noticed ref coaches (or whatever they're called at this exalted level) listening in on the official version of sport ears.
I thought they were pretty good on day 1.
I don't mind yellow cards being used to manage the game as long as they don't impact too heavily on suspensions: it's a short tournament in which to miss a game. Richie McCaw wouldn't last 10 minutes.
Something else I was told was that the kids are promised equal time (as much as one can) through the squad: seemed to be suggested it was mandated. Correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
People say "let the game flow" as if the way to have a free flowing game is to be more lenient at the rucks, when it fact the opposite is true. If you aren't strict at the ruck in a competitive game, the defending team will just slow the ball down all game and use their hands in the ruck at every opportunity.

As far as I know, the referees they send to these tournaments are going to be well over-qualified to referee 16's games. So I doubt you are going to have refs all over the shot blowing up penalties for things with no material effect just to "look impressive" (because that doesn't look good). But in the 16's state champs I wouldn't be surprised if the occasion gets to the players' and they become unfocused, resulting in a higher than avg penalty count. It's just a by-product of rep footy.

At the end of the day if the players honestly don't know what is expected of them in terms of compliance with the laws, then something needs to be done. (and this is most likely just as much of a coaching issue). But if that isn't the case, all you are left with is endless whinging from spectators, which just detracts from the actual occasion. And is what this thread will potentially descend into, not that I'm surprised.
Totally support you Bru but wanted to do more than like in the hope this does not degenerate into a dissection of any/every error committed by a ref.
The ref who's father I was talking to is 24 and reffed the 4th grade Shute shield grand final having done 2s and 3s all season.
Let me tell you, when I was coaching those grades we never had refs anywhere near his standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Not sure who or where you got your info from, but Tonga was not replaced due to a back complaint. He was just interchanged with some1 else which I was kinda surprise as he was only there for a short time. You were saying that he didn't get a run yesterday YES you are very correct...Y do u think that was?????? Y don't u ask the coach why my son was never put on:( U want to look at his commitment???? I'll you he is very committed more than u know. He trains as hard as any other kid when he's @ training & he does his own almost 5 days a week. You think he wanted to sit on the sideline ALL day? You think we wanted to have time off work n families coming from afar to watch him sit outside????? Hell no..but what can we do???? We don't make the decisions on who gets on. So we his parents n families who travel to come n watch him sat there n watch the rest of the team while my son was sitting outside. I wanted him 2 come home with us when I finally saw him sad n upset:( but he insisted that he would stay because he was going to get more game time..So they told him after..Yep so much for game time=)
My son is VERY committed & no one including you is going to suggest that he's not. Maybe next time try asking...better yet you should've ask Tonga why he was not put on yesterday.

What was said about your son in the post you're replying to wasn't acceptable.

I hope the ball bounces your son's way again soon

Gagger

Bill McLean (32)
As a few already know I was watching the Banana Benders v Mexicans yesterday.

Generally speaking the game was riddled with too many silly and unforced errors. The scrums were somewhat evenly contested though Victoria seemed to have that extra nudge.

The lineouts for both sides left a lot to be desired but this was somewhat understandable given the windy conditions. Rarely did I see any team win clean ball and quite often it was tap ball which constantly put the respective scrum-half under unnecessary pressure.

For the Queenslanders I was impressed with their 10, 11, 12 (and 22 when he came on as a replacement). In addition the Queensland big bopper prop without a number performed well.

For the Victorians their halves played exceptionally well, especially the 10. Both of the forward packs performed exceptionally well at the rucks which were always vigourously contested.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

And when was the last time you put some boots on and walked onto a field with a whistle in your hand?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As a few already know I was watching the Banana Benders v Mexicans yesterday.

Generally speaking the game was riddled with too many silly and unforced errors. The scrums were somewhat evenly contested though Victoria seemed to have that extra nudge.

The lineouts for both sides left a lot to be desired but this was somewhat understandable given the windy conditions. Rarely did I see any team win clean ball and quite often it was tap ball which constantly put the respective scrum-half under unnecessary pressure.

For the Queenslanders I was impressed with their 10, 11, 12 (and 22 when he came on as a replacement). In addition the Queensland big bopper prop without a number performed well.

For the Victorians their halves played exceptionally well, especially the 10. Both of the forward packs performed exceptionally well at the rucks which were always vigourously contested.
If he's the one i think he is he has the same gait as Kurtley Beale.
I thought the QLD White 5/8 was quite good too: are the 2 Qld teams "graded" - i.e. is one the first team and the other the second?
I've been generally impressed with the passing and catching in all the backlines.

Sydney Rugby tragic

Peter Burge (5)
Game 8. NSW Country vs Queensland White
NSW Country ran out behind #3 Sedgeman keen to atone for yesterday’s disappointing performance against Schools. Their opponent lead by #6 Skelton also had a point to prove following their narrow 2 point victory the previous day.

First half: Before the spectators had realised the game had been started, #13 Perese opened QLD’s account after less than a minute. #14 Marsden added the extras for a 7 – 0 lead. Satisfied with their early lead, the big White car seemed to have been placed in cruise control.
Country took control of the ball for extended periods of the opening stanza, but like yesterday they lacked the knockout punch needed to break the tenacious QLD defence line. Time and time again promising Country attacks were snuffed out by the QLD back division drifting defence which was well coordinated by #22 Vandenburg. Ferocious tackling frequently isolated the Country runners who were unable to get the ball to their wings fast enough to break the defence.

Feeding off scraps of possession in good field positions, the White machine awoke in the 17th minute with #13 Perese bagging his second try for the day. It was a well-executed, but very simple backline manoeuvre following an attacking lineout set up from a poor Country kicking option. #14 Marsden added the extra points, 14-0.
The resultant kick off saw Country #3 Sedgeman placed in Bad Boys corner following a Yellow Card for dangerous play. Surprisingly, Country resorted to uncontested scrums while Sedgeman was off the field. To Country’s credit, the scoreline didn’t change before oranges while their Captain was in the bin (14-0).

Second half.
The second half was more of the same from both teams. The smaller Country team dominating possession and position but again they could not seem to defeat the ferocious Qld defence. Poor QLD ruck and maul discipline helped keep Country in the game with a lopsided penalty count (about 16 to 5 against).

14 minutes into the second stanza, against the run of play, #14 Marsden plucked a poorly timed Country pass out of the air and scooted 30 metres to add five to the score. He converted his own try to make the score 21-0.
9 minutes later, the Whites #11 Kemp received the ball in a pretty ordinary position about 22 metres out, but he danced over the try line with 3 consecutive inside sidesteps which left would be tacklers grasping at thin air. #10 Russell converted. 28-0.
With time almost up, after some sustained attack and multiple probes at the their line, the resolute Whites defence was finally broken with a 4 metre props sprint as #3 Sedgeman scored under the black dot. #10 Styles converted. 28-8. There was no change to the scoreline before the referee called time.

Queensland White: Defended like Trojans. Scored with ease when they were bored with defending. Did just enough to cruise through. Best- 22, 13, 14, 6, 8.
NSW Country: Had enough pill to win 4 games but lacked the ability to land a knockout blow. Never gave up trying to score but made far too many mistakes from relentless QLD pressure. Best – 9, 2, 5, 8.

Score:
Queensland White: 28 (Perese 2, Marsden, Kemp tries; Marsden 3, Russell Conversions)
NSW Country: 7 (Sedgeman try, Styles Conversion)
½ time Qld 14-0.
Thought the country boys played with alot more passion today . Basic mistakes and errors still letting themselves down.
outside backs need better ball from flyhalf & need to be more direct & not to panic with the last play.
Overall much better game boys .
Sawden again worked hard backed up by Wilkinson

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And when was the last time you put some boots on and walked onto a field with a whistle in your hand?
Also, from my observations, the ARU assessors were keeping it pretty low key and the refs all seemed relaxed and confident talking to them: i should become a gossip columnist.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

I know that 3 of the referees at this tournament have 1st grade experience in their respective associations.

Status
Not open for further replies.