• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are any of these Howard Matthews boys also in Junior Gold Programmes or is this mutually exclusive?

One would hope that Junior Gold would teach correct tackle technique.
But these guys should be getting blown off the park whenever they play union - I've seen it happen and the quizzical looks of parents/coaches.
Its one of my hobby horses because it was such a brilliant decision/non-decision (don't know when it became a law but it was always taught to me back in the 60's and 70's) for our game, just like our historically (and continuing) much lower tolerance for contact with the head, neck etc.
Often see kids/parents with league backgrounds mocking a penalty for grabbing the collar - it might seem a bit soft but the game is tough enough without letting these things creep in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Queensland white 36 ACT 14
Red card against Qld very early. Played 14 vs 15 for most of game.

Finally got to see what whites attack is capable of.

Very one sided until last 10 mins.

32 degrees.

M

magpie52

Qld Red held on to beat NSW Schools 34-31 in the final.

Qld lead 34-7 at half time slicing NSW up out wide. Probably a mix of good attack & very poor defence. The Qld 12 was a standout (have no idea why they replaced him !!).

In the 2nd half in extreme heat NSW dominated territory & possession and scored regularly. NSW bombed a few tries as attackers chose not to pass to unmarked teammates. In the end, they just ran out of time.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)

Qld lead 34-7 at half time slicing NSW up out wide. Probably a mix of good attack & very poor defence. The Qld 12 was a standout (have no idea why they replaced him !!).

In the 2nd half in extreme heat NSW dominated territory & possession and scored regularly. NSW bombed a few tries as attackers chose not to pass to unmarked teammates. In the end, they just ran out of time.

That is a few years in a row the bananabenders have won, hopefully we will see NSW 1, 2 and NSW country next year.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
But these guys should be getting blown off the park whenever they play union - I've seen it happen and the quizzical looks of parents/coaches.
Its one of my hobby horses because it was such a brilliant decision/non-decision (don't know when it became a law but it was always taught to me back in the 60's and 70's) for our game, just like our historically (and continuing) much lower tolerance for contact with the head, neck etc.
Often see kids/parents with league backgrounds mocking a penalty for grabbing the collar - it might seem a bit soft but the game is tough enough without letting these things creep in.

It is a big call - you seem to be indicating all the YCs were for shoulder charges committed by HM rep players (dual coders). I don't know if the facts would back that up.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
That is a few years in a row the bananabenders have won, hopefully we will see NSW 1, 2 and NSW country next year.

QR running out of puff in 2nd half may have had something to do with yesterday's game v Sydney. It is always hard to back up next day. Qld Red did really well to play the last 2 games as they did. Well done to the boys and their mgt team. Well managed, well played.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Full results from today
NT 53 v Tas 5
WA 29 v Vic 20
QLD White 36 v ACT 14
Indigenous 64 v SA 5
Syd Jnrs 35 v NSW Country 10
QLD Red 34 v NSW Schools 31

Div 1 Player of Tournament - #2 A Mafi, Qld Red

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Full results from today
NT 53 v Tas 5
WA 29 v Vic 20
QLD White 36 v ACT 14
Indigenous 64 v SA 5
Syd Jnrs 35 v NSW Country 10
QLD Red 34 v NSW Schools 31

Div 1 Player of Tournament - #2 A Mafi, Qld Red

Player of the Tournament was No8 Jamason Schultz, (or so I am led to believe)!

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I dropped into the Reds V NSW Schools game today and it was an interesting game of two halves,with Qld dominating the first and NSW the second. The NSW boys were all at sea in the first half, no possession compounded by poor defence in the midfield and out wide. When they did get the ball they either fumbled or kicked it away. For Qld their 10, 12, 13 and 15 were playing the house down. At half time you would have called it a cricket score at stumps, but NSW had other ideas.

After oranges the NSW forwards starting on a roll, lead by the number 8, who made a number of barnstorming runs to get in behind the Reds defence which was visibly tiring. All the NSW forwards suddenly found form and the big front rowers were taking easy metres. With a fair share of posession the NSW backs started to click and spread the ball wide, often on the blind where the Reds forwards were struggling. The NSW no 15 looked to goods with limited opportunities and returned the ball well. The halves struggled for cohesion with no 10 often taking the ball behind him.

In the end it was a very close encounter which could easily have gone to NSW with another 5 minutes of play. As it was they ran out of time and were gallant in defeat. Qld 34 to NSW 31. Best on the day no 12 for the Reds and no 8 for NSW.

A

allenwalker

I dropped into the Reds V NSW Schools game today and it was an interesting game of two halves,with Qld dominating the first and NSW the second. The NSW boys were all at sea in the first half, no possession compounded by poor defence in the midfield and out wide. When they did get the ball they either fumbled or kicked it away. For Qld their 10, 12, 13 and 15 were playing the house down. At half time you would have called it a cricket score at stumps, but NSW had other ideas.

After oranges the NSW forwards starting on a roll, lead by the number 8, who made a number of barnstorming runs to get in behind the Reds defence which was visibly tiring. All the NSW forwards suddenly found form and the big front rowers were taking easy metres. With a fair share of posession the NSW backs started to click and spread the ball wide, often on the blind where the Reds forwards were struggling. The NSW no 15 looked to goods with limited opportunities and returned the ball well. The halves struggled for cohesion with no 10 often taking the ball behind him.

In the end it was a very close encounter which could easily have gone to NSW with another 5 minutes of play. As it was they ran out of time and were gallant in defeat. Qld 34 to NSW 31. Best on the day no 12 for the Reds and no 8 for NSW.

would you know who that no.8 name is ? and no.12 ?

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
The program lists them as Henry Devine for Qld and Angus Crichton for NSW. Devine dazzled NSW in the first half, ran great lines at pace, has a wicked step and knows when to pass, the boy clearly is one to watch. Cricthon shone in the second half, leading the NSW in their comeback with a gutsy display. As a casual observer in this age group I thought the overall talent was a bit down on previous years on both sides. Apart from Devine there was no Hooper, Gill or Genia on show today from what I saw.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Having talked up the Schools "Wolf Pack" of #6, #7, #8 (with wolf Pack cubs #4, #5, #1), they didn't fire today, and made a bit of a goose of old Hugh. #7 made some uncharacteristic errors and was pulled after 15 min. His buddy #6 went down at oranges with cramp?, #8 was quieter than usual also in the first 30. After oranges #7 came back on, #5 covered the absent #6 and along with a reenergised #8, the Wolf Pack was reformed and they started to get the necessary space and ball needed for their game plan.

NSW Coach Gill must have put something in the 1/2 time gatorade.

QLD backs have been rather quiet until today. Clearly Coach Gilmore did his homework on Schools with their impressive 1st half onslaught. NSW backs were put under sustained pressure for the first time and had no answers until they got the southerly behind them.

Well done Qld. Next Year will be ours.

It was bloody hot out there today and yesterday and a big thank you to all the kids who have produced some very entertaining rugby in the very trying conditions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It is a big call - you seem to be indicating all the YCs were for shoulder charges committed by HM rep players (dual coders). I don't know if the facts would back that up.
Not at all - its rare, however, to see 2 cards for no arms in one game. When you add that to the ones that weren't penalised its over the odds.
I've seen what I've seen.
I originally posed it as a question, I think, just checking that: post #359.
Which was answered with a considerable list of dual coders.
i dont care where its come from it has to be stopped because its dangerous.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Player of the Tournament was No8 Jamason Schultz, (or so I am led to believe)!

I was told before the tournament started that they weren't choosing one and hadn't for years - but they had things like best team man of all the boys - as they did last year. The informants were ARU employees; so I would like to know: exactly what was the name of the award given?

Edit

Well, that was bunk info I got. I've just looked at my programme and they have "Player Of The Tournament" winners listed for he last few years.

S

Sydneybra

The program lists them as Henry Devine for Qld and Angus Crichton for NSW. Devine dazzled NSW in the first half, ran great lines at pace, has a wicked step and knows when to pass, the boy clearly is one to watch. Cricthon shone in the second half, leading the NSW in their comeback with a gutsy display. As a casual observer in this age group I thought the overall talent was a bit down on previous years on both sides. Apart from Devine there was no Hooper, Gill or Genia on show today from what I saw.

I thought Jack Mcgregor (No. 22) the 2nd half schools 5/8 had a great game being a year younger than everyone else and his mate from school, Henry Hutchison, came close players of the tournament with a knack of finding his was to the try line and have rock solid defence. They were great playing against bigger and more experienced opponents today and should hold their heads high

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Not at all - its rare, however, to see 2 cards for no arms in one game. When you add that to the ones that weren't penalised its over the odds.
I've seen what I've seen.
I originally posed it as a question, I think, just checking that: post #359.
Which was answered with a considerable list of dual coders.
i dont care where its come from it has to be stopped because its dangerous.

Fully agree - re: dangerous; but to imply it was dual coders (or HM players) is another matter.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I thought Jack Mcgregor (No. 22) the 2nd half schools 5/8 had a great game being a year younger than everyone else and his mate from school, Henry Hutchison, came close players of the tournament with a knack of finding his was to the try line and have rock solid defence. They were great playing against bigger and more experienced opponents today and should hold their heads high
SydneyBra, no reason to hold players up for extra credit by being young. There were 35 players in the tournament aged 15 and one aged 14 as of Monday (Day 1)! Needless to say the 2 View boys did very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.