• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Super Rugby AU and NZ rules

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I have to admit I a bit meh on them. Don't like the captain's referral. If a team scores a try, there any doubt the ref already goes upstairs, so who is the captain hoping is going to overturn the TMO's decision? As for extra time etc, in super Ao they can still take kicks at goal, and if none scores a try in 10 minutes you obviously win if you have a penalty. Game stops if try is scored , haven't heard if a team has got 2 penalties and still is ahead on points who wins. Not keen. but I still believe a draw is a result.
As for rest can live with line drop out, red card not sure, really like making the HB play the ball quicker, didn't like the 50/22 or 22/50 or whatever. Probably biggest bugbear if there are going to be tweaks , can't both boards get together and do the same, what happens in TT comp?

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I have to admit I a bit meh on them. Don't like the captain's referral. If a team scores a try, there any doubt the ref already goes upstairs, so who is the captain hoping is going to overturn the TMO's decision? As for extra time etc, in super Ao they can still take kicks at goal, and if none scores a try in 10 minutes you obviously win if you have a penalty. Game stops if try is scored , haven't heard if a team has got 2 penalties and still is ahead on points who wins. Not keen. but I still believe a draw is a result.
As for rest can live with line drop out, red card not sure, really like making the HB play the ball quicker, didn't like the 50/22 or 22/50 or whatever. Probably biggest bugbear if there are going to be tweaks , can't both boards get together and do the same, what happens in TT comp?

God I'm with you on the captain's referral, the last thing Rugby needs is another option to go to the TMO, who will invariably then add another 2/3 mins of review time.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The red card change is a good one too. Lots of people have been suggesting that would be a good move to save rugby matches now that reds are more common.

It seems im feeling more optimistic about the tweaks than most.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
With the exception of the Captain's Call which I'm not too keen on. I'm happy enough with the rest as alluding to what I said earlier. They are all about improving the flow of the games and not changing the very nature itself.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't mind the captain's call. It has a very limited use case which is to review something in the lead up to a try that the referee has either missed or happened more than 2 phases ago that can't be reviewed.

My understanding is that the review has to be specific. They can't just say check everything since the last stoppage to make sure there were no infringements.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Additional variations I'd be keen on
1. Free kick (short arm penalty) does not have the option for a scrum
2. Attacking team held up over the try line would be a 10m free kick (not a drop out)
3. Missed dropped goal to be the same as general play kick if it goes dead (scrum from where it was kicked)
4. Addition of a "review or orange" card. It starts as a yellow card but is reviewed by the TMO during the 10mins. If ok the player returns if not it is upgrade to a red.
5. Defending scrum half can not move pass their frontrow

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2. Attacking team held up over the try line would be a 10m free kick (not a drop out)
3. Missed dropped goal to be the same as general play kick if it goes dead (scrum from where it was kicked)
4. Addition of a "review or orange" card. It starts as a yellow card but is reviewed by the TMO during the 10mins. If ok the player returns if not it is upgrade to a red.

1. I don't like because it could be used tactically. If your scrum is under pressure you have at least one chance to give away a free kick on a 5m scrum rather than face the scrum.

2. I like the current one in that it benefits the defending team. I think it ups the risk of the attacking team being too conservative trying to get a try because they know at worst case scenario, getting over the line but not getting the ball down results in an attacking scrum.

3. Maybe an option on this one? If someone takes a drop kick from 15 or 20 metres out, the defending team would almost certainly prefer a 22 drop out rather than a scrum where they will kick for touch afterwards.

4. I like this one. Would reduce the TMO stoppage significantly and hopefully lead to better decisions. The decision could still be shown on the big screen and discussed at a stoppage in play once it is made during that 10 minute window.

5. I think this is a good addition.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think we have gone a little too goal line drop out happy, I didn't mind the 5m scrum but I don't hate it either.

I'm not sure what they'll do about the ruck and it sounds pretty nebulous, but I'd love for it to be effective.

I think 50/22 is an absolute dog shit name, but if we can get a good name for it (Super Kick perhaps?) and it's a gun rule that should be included in regular rugby. It achieves so much with such elegance. Gets defenders out of the line and covering the sidelines, opening more space for attacking rugby, but also encouraging & rewarding good astute kicking from hand and heads up plays.

Super/Extra time is eh, sounds like Rugby AU needed to get a compromise from the Super Teams on what golden try would look like, I'd have had the try worth whatever the opposition has plus 1 (if more than 5). But I'm fine with a draw anyway. So it's a bit unnecessary.

As others have mentioned the Captains referral has some merit (like that try incorrectly allowed against NZ), but the game doesn't need it, our game is already very hard to referee we don't need to be asking our team captains to do it too. Also 10 seconds sounds far to quick. Also apparently in the last 5/2 min captains have unlimited challenges, so every decision now gets a TMO review...

The only other rules I'd consider changing would be to:
  • Stop the clock once the scrum is called and restarted once the ball is out.
  • Make all Penalty kicks are drop goals (to discourage teams milking penalty goals).

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. I don't like because it could be used tactically. If your scrum is under pressure you have at least one chance to give away a free kick on a 5m scrum rather than face the scrum.

2. I like the current one in that it benefits the defending team. I think it ups the risk of the attacking team being too conservative trying to get a try because they know at worst case scenario, getting over the line but not getting the ball down results in an attacking scrum.

3. Maybe an option on this one? If someone takes a drop kick from 15 or 20 metres out, the defending team would almost certainly prefer a 22 drop out rather than a scrum where they will kick for touch afterwards.

4. I like this one. Would reduce the TMO stoppage significantly and hopefully lead to better decisions. The decision could still be shown on the big screen and discussed at a stoppage in play once it is made during that 10 minute window.

5. I think this is a good addition.

1. Can still take scrum on penalty so wouldn't expect it to occur often (where an under pressure defending scrum hasn't already given away a short arm earlier in the match)
2. Fair point. It was more something to speed up the game and find a middle ground.
3. Yep option definitely. I just didn't note it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think we have gone a little too goal line drop out happy, I didn't mind the 5m scrum but I don't hate it either.

I'm not sure what they'll do about the ruck and it sounds pretty nebulous, but I'd love for it to be effective.

I think 50/22 is an absolute dog shit name, but if we can get a good name for it (Super Kick perhaps?) and it's a gun rule that should be included in regular rugby. It achieves so much with such elegance. Gets defenders out of the line and covering the sidelines, opening more space for attacking rugby, but also encouraging & rewarding good astute kicking from hand and heads up plays.

Super/Extra time is eh, sounds like Rugby AU needed to get a compromise from the Super Teams on what golden try would look like, I'd have had the try worth whatever the opposition has plus 1 (if more than 5). But I'm fine with a draw anyway. So it's a bit unnecessary.

As others have mentioned the Captains referral has some merit (like that try incorrectly allowed against NZ), but the game doesn't need it, our game is already very hard to referee we don't need to be asking our team captains to do it too. Also 10 seconds sounds far to quick. Also apparently in the last 5/2 min captains have unlimited challenges, so every decision now gets a TMO review.

The only other rules I'd consider changing would be to:
  • Stop the clock once the scrum is called and restarted once the ball is out.
  • Make all Penalty kicks are drop goals (to discourage teams milking penalty goals).

I like the idea of this but the argument against this is the proficiency issues we already have kicking at goal. I've for some time thought that only conversions should be place kicks with as you suggest drop kicks being used for penalties. But I doubt it will ever be really be entertained.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Like No 3 and have called for it for a few years, could live happily with probably 1 and 4 too.
Not keen on 5 though, I like perssure on 9s.

Still waiting to hear what happens in TT.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Can live with the trials, don't understand why no one is not trialing having a 2nd on field ref. The game has speed up so much in the last few years that it's worth trialing.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can live with the trials, don't understand why no one is not trialing having a 2nd on field ref. The game has speed up so much in the last few years that it's worth trialing.

Really depends on how you do it and if it does actually reduce fatigue and improve the decision making of the referees.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stop the clock once the scrum is called and restarted once the ball is out.

The main concern with this is that the game just drags on longer. It might increase the "ball in play time" but run the flow of the game. Players would then take longer to get ready for the scrum making it a massive ball ache to anyone watching it especially live.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just creates a better platform to attack and would bring back some moves from the back of the scrum. Improving the spectacle.

I understand that, just I think we losing our game, rugby isn't just about easy attacking scenarios. Do we need to make it so easy that 9s don't have to pass under pressure? I just think we are slowly taking the requirement of players being skillful out of the game just in the name of easy attack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The main concern with this is that the game just drags on longer. It might increase the "ball in play time" but run the flow of the game. Players would then take longer to get ready for the scrum making it a massive ball ache to anyone watching it especially live.

I would stop the clock for scrum resets such that each scrum sequence can only take the time of one scrum.

I feel like it solves one of the biggest criticisms of the game, particularly late in games where the leading team can try and scrum away multiple minutes off the clock and the referee is less inclined to call a penalty so there are more scrum resets.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I understand that, just I think we losing our game, rugby isn't just about easy attacking scenarios. Do we need to make it so easy that 9s don't have to pass under pressure? I just think we are slowly taking the requirement of players being skillful out of the game just in the name of easy attack.

No doubt any law changes have secondary consequences but there is there is only about 14 scrums per game but 140 rucks so there is still plenty of opportunity for that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No doubt any law changes have secondary consequences but there is there is only about 14 scrums per game but 140 rucks so there is still plenty of opportunity for that.

Yep I understand that , I just dislike so much any attempt to make our game seem manafactured like league. I also worry if no pressure on 9, it going to give huge advantage to team putting ball into scrum, because you will end up with flankers just hanging off side because they will be only close in defence. I think the added on consequences just too much. Just keep the other 9 behind the ball and get attacking 9 to use the bloody thing!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Re: scrum resets & stopping the clock, Goldie Wilson in commentary just now said that (unnamed) refs & sky comm team had a get-together during the week re: the Law Variations & refs said that if they felt resets were getting out of hand they'd stop the clock. No set number so just picking up on "the vibe". Like it but wonder how long it'll last and/ or if any ref will have the balls/ backing to do it post-siren with the defending team a point up......